Parents Hate Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Dylfish2000, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Dylfish2000

Dylfish2000Valued MemberMember

Title says it all, my parents hate them and think I waste my money. I want to get another tank for my birthday (which is tomorrow) but if I walked in the house with another one they would probably smash it with a sledgehammer, any ideas?

I probably can't change there minds, but ideas appreciated.

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

What do they hate about it? You keep it clean/it doesnt stink right? :)

3. danhutchinsValued MemberMember

Unfortunately all tanks have a smell expecially if they are properly maintained. Fish are very peaceful, not sure why they would hate them, unless they are paying for everything.

4. OP
    OP
    Dylfish2000

No it doesn't stink, in fact it's in my room (they barely ever see it) the one thing the hate is that I've lost some fish (illness) and they just think there gross. One main reason is that some water leaked from a bucket of water in my room and stained the ceiling in the kitchen (cat knocked over the water jugs.......)

My mom also thinks fish water is the equivalent to sewage. I got some on my room on the carpet and she flipped. The really annoying thing is they yell at me for not doing anything or having any hobbies, but they hate the one thing I enjoy( they say I play too much video games, overwatch )

5. Bizarro252

Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

Ah, well that is unfortunate. I would (especially if you get a second tank) look into a python for your water changes, will maybe ease her mind with you not having to lug buckets all over the place.

Water from the tank is pretty clean, at least IMO. Now water left over from cleaning the filter? Ya might want to do that outside :D

6. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Its hard to change ones view!

I know it sounds weird but perhaps get a bigger tank and put it in the living room or somewhere where everyone can enjoy it! A bigger tank will allow you to keep more fish and a variety. Although it cost more money its a better investment.

7. Manoj AroraValued MemberMember

I always wanted to get a little puppy. This has been my wish from so many years. But my parents don't agree. I guess none of us can change their views... but all we can do is tray harder and harder

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Send them on a holiday !

9. danhutchinsValued MemberMember

When it comes to parents it's usually best to go with the flow and hopefully you are close to getting your own place so you can do what you want.

10. OP
    OP
    Dylfish2000

That was my idea but I have a 15 gallon and they think that's huge, they do t want anything bigger. I on the other hand want at least a 40

11. SuperK

SuperKWell Known MemberMember

I'd say stick with what you have honestly. I know it sucks but I'm kinda in the same position. My dad is somewhat more supportive but he still gets aggro about them for whatever reason. He also likes to act like he knows everything about them. It's so annoying.

Just wait until you're outta there and you can let your multiple tank syndrome kick in haha, that's what I'm doing. I just have a 12gal now. My dad (without my permission) got rid of my 39. Just try to wait it out and enjoy what fish you have now. In the end it's better than nothing I suppose. Good luck. :)

12. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

It sounds like the water spills are a problem. If your mom is very concerned with clean carpet (and not-ruined living room ceiling), you gotta work around that. Maybe offer to go buy a thick painter's tarp or something to put down on the carpet during tank maintenance, if that will ease her mind.

You could also offer to water house plants or outside flowers with the fish water, they might change their thinking when they see how well the plants do!

Beyond that, I'd ask them (respectfully) what their objection is to a larger tank, and work to find specific solutions or compromises for their objections.

Another idea would be setting up an outside water garden... is that an option? All the mess stays outside, you are spending more time outside (which they would probably like to see), and you get more fish.

13. OP
    OP
    Dylfish2000

I've wanted a pond for years, they don't want me "destroying the lawn", plus I actually would water the plants with the dirty fish water, she didn't really care

14. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

As a parent I can understand what your parents are going through. As a house owner I would also know what they are feeling. If you tank was to spill or leak it can cause some damage to the house or the apartment itself. You need to put yourself in their shoes, the cost to fix the stain on the ceiling the aggravation of knowing that your lugging jugs of water around and one slip up could mean damage and even mushrooms growing on your carpets.

You should probably refrain from getting another tank which will only cause more aggravation between you and your parents. Like SuperK says, you might end up seeing your parents dump a tank without your knowledge.

Enjoy what you have with your parents, a roof, clothes on your back and food on the table, your relationship with your parents should always be strong and a fish tank shouldn't be a wedge in this. When you get your own place you can do whatever you want.

15. vikingkirken

Sounds like you've got a lot of daydreaming to do for "someday"... :-/ Sorry you are stuck in this position! At least they have been accepting of your 15 gallon! Not all parents are that open--plenty of parents just say no pets at all...

16. OP
    OP
    Dylfish2000

You have a valid point, I just get annoyed that's all. They keep asking me what I want for my birthday but I'm afraid to say anything

17. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

It's not normal to dislike fish. Report your parents to the proper authorities.

18. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

If they keep asking what you want, be honest with them...but also throw in there the fact that you understand they don't like it, and the possibilities of why they don't like it...and come up with a solution to the problem (of the water damage). It can't hurt to see what they say.

19. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Not quite necessary.

20. vikingkirken

Don't be afraid to say anything. Tell them that's what you'd like, and offer to work around their objections, if possible. Or, maybe they would be open to a compromise (maybe a 29 instead of a 40?)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice