Parasites?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by AquariumQuirks, Apr 22, 2018.

1. AquariumQuirks

AquariumQuirksValued MemberMember

My tank has mollies, platys and a few yoyo loaches, a while ago one of the platys started looking kind of shriveled up, the stomach was shrinking. I'd had the fish for a long time and initially thought it was just old. It died after a few months. And I didn't think much of it because I'd had it for probably 3 years but now another platy and one of the mollies are exhibiting the same symptoms. But the mollie also has pop eye.
    Do you think it's a parasite? They haven't had any noticeable symptoms other than shrinking belly's and just now the pop eye, but they still act normally. They are still eating but less aggressively.

2. Theblitchwitch

TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  3. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Depends. Are they also old ones? All aquariums have common occurring parasites/bacteria/disease and its up to fish to keep them at bay. Sometimes weak fish will die because of this and the other healthy fish will look as if nothing has happened. If their bellies shrunk then yeah, its some sort of parasite. The question here is whether you should act on it or just let it be and that depends on whether all fish seem to be affected by it or just a few old ones. At least that is my take on it. Others here may advise you to treat with medicines as soon as you see any symptoms.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice