Parasites

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by apeyton, Jul 9, 2015.

1. a

apeyton Valued Member Member

Can anybody tell me the best way to treat internal parasites for african cichlids. I have two tanks and both seem to be battling parasites. Best remedy best way treat how to treat ect. . I feel it's useless to try to QT specific fish but to treat whole tank

TIA

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I have seen this product called ParaGuard by Seachem but have not had personal experience with it. Maybe it's worth checking out?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

4. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

I would use this if its HOITH aka hexitima.  
    There are MANY diffrent types of parasites. And more are being introduced all the time from wild caught fish. Most of the internal types are Worms or "nematodes" Its impossible to tell what type of parasite unless you can get some fecal matter under a microscope, so you need to make an educated guess based on the fish's symptoms.

5. OP
    OP
    a

apeyton Valued Member Member

To be honest I really don't know. The poops is comin up clear some times very stringy on one fish and some other I notice have sunken belly however are eating well NOT lathargic at all seem to be normal. I jist took some picks posted them on another forum and iw as told this is a very sick fish. So I want to take precautions I did a bit of research but I want to be more educated and ready. To much invested to lose a single fish

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Matt68046

Nematodes? Fenebadazole garlic medicated feed on that site..... Dewormer 1. This is just a guess...I'm not too good at dealing with all the parasites in fish ESpecially the internal ones..... Maybe someone else could advise better.
    Well now that I think of it...chi lads are oscars duh and their prone to hexitima so it may be wise to try the metro flake......certain fis are prone to certain parasites, that's another way to narrow it down.

Dom paraguard is an external ick med...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  7. Anders247

If it's nematodes Levamisole would be the best treatment, I've read.

8. Matt68046

I was told by an long time expert guppy breeder that fenebadazole is the safest one to use, directly in the flake feed, im not too good at this stuff, but what is the diffrence? What makes you say to use the Levamisole anders? I might have to google this as it seems internal worms/parasties are becomming more and more common. I never ran into them the first 5 years of fishkeeping! Now its like i see skinny sunken bellied fish everywhere.......
    ofc i did run into some other nasty diseases of which i had no clue to cure, lol like tetrahyema.

Nevermind found this site  
    Says levamisole has been discontinued and replaced by the fenbandazole because fish don't build a resistance to it.
    Maybe thats why he said that.
    You cant actually see nematodes tho can you? like callipari?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Fenbendazole is the same stuff that's in dog dewormer so I'm not so sure it's safe for fish...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. Anders247

Camallanus worms are the most commonly seen type of nematode, I believe, because unlike the other types of nematode parasites they can pass from fish to fish rather than having to have an intermediate host. And they can be seen with the naked eye, protruding from the vent of the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice