Parasites! sick fish what should I do next?

1. Dansrainbow

Dansrainbow New Member Member

Ok I have a 55 gal aquarium with rainbow fish mainly. about a week ago I noticed what looked like a piece of string come out of the mouth and anus of one of my rainbows. The tank was due for a cleaning and Life got in the way and I didn't clean it. So once see this I cleaned the tank removing all the gravel and 55% of the water. I also cleaned the entire filter setup I have. I use R/O water with purigen and various sponge/biorock in the filter. I also use Seachem products in the tank. Upon changing the water I used Paraguard, a high dose of brackish salt, prime and stability and neutral regulator when adding back the 30 gal of water I took out. I also quarantined the sick fish and gave it parasite general cure and the fish is still has the "string" hanging out of the mouth. Any thoughts / ideas what else I can do for the sick fish!?? Help?
    One fish store said I should try to pull the parasite out of the fishes anus and hope the whole thing comes out the "usual path of food" I'm leery of that advice.

Attached Files:

2. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

keep the water perfect. stick with the meds and hope for the best. wouldn't feed him for a few days then try a pea.

3. OP
    OP
    Dansrainbow

Thanks. the water change was more for the rest of my tank.

4. musserump09

if I do get a sick fish again I am going to try the HEAT method. I hear its the best way to not stress them with meds. best of luck!

5. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know what kind of parasite it is?
    There are different meds for different types of worms.
    General cure has never helped me, but the only parasite I ever battled was camallanus which is a nematode. Levimasole eradicated them, but does not work on other types so identifying it helps to not go through unnecessary meds.

I have never seen someone have one with a worm out the mouth......

6. Dark Storm

Dark Storm Valued Member Member

That might not be a parasite. Looks like it's flayed at the end, as though it's a piece of string :/ Is it moving? Pulling it out might damage his digestive system, i'd be tempted to cut the piece coming out of his mouth off and hope he'll pass the rest

7. OP
    OP
    Dansrainbow

What I think is a parasite is not moving and yes it looks frayed but that's after a 2 days of Paraguard and then I quarantined it and gave only this fish the general cure med. None of the 11 other rainbow fish show signs of any illness luckily. It's been almost 10 days now since I started treatment. I was hoping that it would fall off. I don't see the fish eat so I have to do something soon. Not that it matters much but this fish is a female.

8. OP
    OP
    Dansrainbow

I don't know what type of parasite it is, I didn't find any others when I cleaned the tank either. Searched internet and couldn't find any pictures that were close. Fish hasn't been eating but fish store said to add garlic juice to a small amount of food to get the fish to eat I haven't tried that yet...nor have I tried to feed them peas (and where was the info that fish ate peas when I was growing up) ;-))

9. musserump09

it looks like a worm of some kind. nasty one too. I did some looking around and cant find anything this has my head scratching.

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Very strange. Only use heattreatment if / when you've a proper diagnose and only for diseases that can be solved that way (not worms).

11. OP
    OP
    Dansrainbow

Thanks for the feed back it's been about 2 weeks now and the fish is still ok by herself in a bucket and air stone.

12. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Is the thing still there?

13. OP
    OP
    Dansrainbow

After 2 weeks of using the general cure for parasites med the thing came off by itself, I noticed that the thing in its mouth had came off in the afternoon and last night as I scooped the fish into my net the one on her anus fell off. I'm a happy camper on that note but I still have it quarantined. Now to get her to eat something. I put a alga disc soaked in garlic juice she went for it when it hit the water but didn't feed on it after that.

14. OP
    OP
    Dansrainbow

So 6 weeks later hears were I stand - after 3 weeks in a 5 gal bucket and a air stone and multiple treatments of Paraguard and general cure medicine my Rainbow is back to herself. The "Parasite" or whatever it was finally fell off on it's own. It mid August and I'm cleaning/ doing a water change of the 55 gal tank and will put her back in after a day or two of letting that tank stabilize.
    So, before I went on vacation I put her in my 20 gal tank with two other fish when I got back from Vacation I saw the same white parasites in the 20 gal tank. They were alive and swimming that is until I dosed the tank with Paraguard then I didn't see any of them again. YEAH Seachem products work!

Thanks again everyone