Parasite?

morgy290

My Oranda goldfish been laying on the bottom of the tank , doesn’t move like usual , haven’t seen him poop and when I did it was long, stringy , kind of white. He swims erratically , belly up, and rubs against rocks. All around swimming way abnormal. He eats as usual but like I said doesn’t poop from what I see. I have another Oranda who lays at the bottom with him but doesn’t swim like him , eats fine and poops normal. He swims tail up so I believe he has swim bladder. It’s been going on for almost 2 months now.
Any ideas on what it can be or how to treat him/them? I’m out of ideas

TasselledWobbegong

Hi, could you provide a picture of them and give us some details on the tank?

morgy290

Hi, could you provide a picture of them and give us some details on the tank?

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank. Have a heater , filter & just added in a bubbler. My water has a .25 of ammonia but I’ve been using prime. I recently stopped giving them flakes (because I’m sure that was one of my main problems) and started making my own gel food. This is what they do almost all day. They swim here and there, but they’ll start to look like they’re getting better then the next day they look bad again.

IMG_3660.JPG

TasselledWobbegong

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank. Have a heater , filter & just added in a bubbler. My water has a .25 of ammonia but I’ve been using prime. I recently stopped giving them flakes (because I’m sure that was one of my main problems) and started making my own gel food. This is what they do almost all day. They swim here and there, but they’ll start to look like they’re getting better then the next day they look bad again.
Your own gel food? Mind giving some details on that.

And have you used or tried any medicine in the past?

MedicMike

Wonder if they have bloat or it may be called dropsy as well... It may be something to look into.

morgy290

Your own gel food? Mind giving some details on that.

And have you used or tried any medicine in the past?

I found a few different recipes online and switched it up to make it my own. I used Spinach , peas , broccolI , carrots , tiny bit of garlic, salmon and pumpkin. & the unflavored gelatin ( obviously )

I’ve tried an aquarium salt bath & Epsom Salt bath. That’s about it I believe. I get worried about adding the wrong things and adding un needed stress. Besides Ammo Lock thinking it was maybe the ammonia which is why I started using prime.

morgy290

Wonder if they have bloat or it may be called dropsy as well... It may be something to look into.

I checked into that it doesn’t look like that’s what it is , they don’t have poked out scales or different in there color.

TasselledWobbegong

I found a few different recipes online and switched it up to make it my own. I used Spinach , peas , broccolI , carrots , tiny bit of garlic, salmon and pumpkin. & the unflavored gelatin ( obviously )

I’ve tried an aquarium salt bath & Epsom Salt bath. That’s about it I believe. I get worried about adding the wrong things and adding un needed stress. Besides Ammo Lock thinking it was maybe the ammonia which is why I started using prime.

For now I would remove anything that isn't veggie from that recipe to see if there is improvement. Are you able to test any other levels of the water? Mainly pH.
On the otherhand I found this minI guide to goldfish poop, which may help cause you have seen it and I not, Poop meanings.

morgy290

For now I would remove anything that isn't veggie from that recipe to see if there is improvement. Are you able to test any other levels of the water? Mainly pH.
On the otherhand I found this minI guide to goldfish poop, which may help cause you have seen it and I not,

I only started feeding them the new food about 4 days now. They love it and seem a lot more active around and during feeding time. Look for food a lot more often too. And all of my tests come back fine besides the Ammonia is at .25-.50 and Nitrates are at 40 but I read for goldfish they can stand that.

TasselledWobbegong

I only started feeding them the new food about 4 days now. They love it and seem a lot more active around and during feeding time. Look for food a lot more often too. And all of my tests come back fine besides the Ammonia is at .25-.50 and Nitrates are at 40 but I read for goldfish they can stand that.

This is quite a bizarre case then. Nothing to me stands out as overly pointing to the issue, even granted the ammonia, but your working on that actively.
Perhaps we are looking at something we couldnt see, like neurologically. The improper swimming n movements could indicate some sort of brain issue. Spinal would do that too.
Its more the fact that this has been going for so long, that other common conditions like dropsy would have most likely killed him by now. Maybe he sustained an inquiry on the glass or tank decorations.

I would however recommend that we don't assume straight out, and try something for a bactericidal/parasitic infection. Dosing on time mixed with the water changes to match should be fine. If you notice improvement over multiple days then we are going the right way, if not then we keep looking. Its not magic either so it may take days to really get going in the system, or to see grand improvement.

morgy290

He did get stuck in a decoration but he was still acting this way even before that which is the weird thing. It was just out of no where they started laying on the bottom and being this way. My one fish seems a lot better since giving him the new food and is a lot more active but the orange one is still the same. So I shouldn’t or should treat for bacterial/parasitic infection? I feel like it’s the only thing I haven’t tried and he’s not pooping either. Which is why I feel as if it could be something internally

TasselledWobbegong

He did get stuck in a decoration but he was still acting this way even before that which is the weird thing. It was just out of no where they started laying on the bottom and being this way. My one fish seems a lot better since giving him the new food and is a lot more active but the orange one is still the same. So I shouldn’t or should treat for bacterial/parasitic infection? I feel like it’s the only thing I haven’t tried and he’s not pooping either. Which is why I feel as if it could be something internally

Should. I think it is worth trying. Its for sure something internally. Last thing we want is for him to be intaking and not producing waste, cause if that backs up it can go septic.

morgy290

Should. I think it is worth trying. Its for sure something internally. Last thing we want is for him to be intaking and not producing waste, cause if that backs up it can go septic.

Any suggestions on what to try?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Salem
Replies
Views
Valentina544
Replies
Views
Sprinkle
Replies