Help Parasite/worm sticking out of my fish?

JJ3204

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have never seen that before in all 5 years I have been keeping fish. The only fish I have kept are Bettas so if I were you, I wouldn’t expect much coming from me. I’ll look around the internet and see if I can help. If I don’t find anything, I probably won’t respond so don’t take it personally. Keep a close eye on them and see if anything happens to them.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That looks like an anchor worm. I don’t know much about them, and I’ve never dealt with them, so this website should help you: Anchor Worm Treatment Guide • Land of Fish
It tells you how you should remove and treat it. I hope it helps!

JJ3204

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’m so useful. At least someone more experienced was able to help you out, emmasose. I didn’t even know what to look up for research.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JJ3204 said:
I’m so useful. At least someone more experienced was able to help you out, emmasose. I didn’t even know what to look up for research.
I’m not that experienced either though lol. I remember seeing a picture of these worms when I was trying to figure out if something was wrong with my betta. I also have a lot more time to do random research bc of the corona virus lol.

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its definetly an anchor worm I introduced a fish I caught from the wild myself and a few weeks later one of my other fish had an anchor worm. you have to physically pull it off.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is actually one med by JBL that works and where you don't have to do this. It's called Aradol plus.

If you can get this you don't have to potentially kill the fish by pulling the worm. Also that way you kill all the eggs and larvae that are likely in your tank now.

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Spring water has perfect parameters for bettas
MacZ said:
There is actually one med by JBL that works and where you don't have to do this. It's called Aradol plus.

If you can get this you don't have to potentially kill the fish by pulling the worm. Also that way you kill all the eggs and larvae that are likely in your tank now.
not keen on the idea of leaving some of the parasite left in the fish.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With wound recovery the remains are usually pushed out by the fishes body.

These worms have barbs with which they, well, anchor in the fishes body. You pull them out you may deal more damage than the fish can handle. I've seen fish bleed out because of this.

OP
emmasose

emmasose

Reaction score
julkosi17 said:
I’m not that experienced either though lol. I remember seeing a picture of these worms when I was trying to figure out if something was wrong with my betta. I also have a lot more time to do random research bc of the corona virus lol.
Any help is much appreciated! I was stressing like crazy.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're welcome!

I should also add some trivia: Anchor worms are no worms, but crustaceans.

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MacZ said:
You're welcome!

I should also add some trivia: Anchor worms are no worms, but crustaceans.
neither are blood worms, their insect larvae.

New Threads