Parasite on Congo Tetra's Eye?

FishFriend70

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 29 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 2+ years
Does it have a filter? Yes. Carbon.
Does it have a heater? Yes.
What is the water temperature? 79
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 5 Congo Tetras (2M3F), 5 otocinclus, 1 honey gourami

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once weekly
How much of the water do you change? 20-25%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum substrate with every water change.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes.
What do you use to test the water? API Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Cannot find test kit, so I do not know what my parameters are. Will get new kit.

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once daily. Occasional fasting days.
How much do you feed your fish? 1-2 pinches of dried food
What brand of food do you feed your fish? New Life Spectrum Community Pellets, HikarI freeze-dried blood worms, daphnia, and brine shrimp. HikarI sinking algae wafers and blanched cucumbers for otos.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? I have had this fish for 2+ years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 day ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? See opening sentences. Unidentified white thing on both eyes. Much more pronounce on one that the other. (See attached pictures.)
Have you started any treatment for the illness? API General Cure
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No change. Energetic swimmer and eater.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I added some new fish and live plants to the aquarium with my congo tetras who have been living there for over two year. Last night, I noticed one of my female Congo tetras has a weird white thing on her eye, and the other eye has a smaller thing on it as well but it’s barely. I looked up all the common illnesses, and nothing looks like this.

I thought it might be a parasite brought in with new plant or tank mates because it looks somewhat wormlike to me, so I added a dose of API general cure this morning.

Otherwise she is acting completely normal and no other fish has this issue or any other noticeable problems. I have attached some pictures, and filled out the emergency template below. Can you help diagnose?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 4ABAFB3A-14C5-431F-8939-C903AE4E519F.jpeg
    4ABAFB3A-14C5-431F-8939-C903AE4E519F.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 55
  • EC0BD19B-BF09-4322-BEDA-CCE3AC410BF6.jpeg
    EC0BD19B-BF09-4322-BEDA-CCE3AC410BF6.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 54

christiangrenier

Can you bring some water to a PetSmart? They test it for free.. And does the parasite look inside the eye or on the outside?

DoubleDutch

Uhhh is there a double thread?
Reacted earlier that it looks like Dermospordia but never saw it on African tetras

FishFriend70

Can you bring some water to a PetSmart? They test it for free.. And does the parasite look inside the eye or on the outside?
I ordered a new test kit on Amazon and it should be here tomorrow. Will post results ASAP. It looks external and is only on this fish's eyes.

FishFriend70

Uhhh is there a double thread?
Reacted earlier that it looks like Dermospordia but never saw it on African tetras
Sorry yes. I'm new (made account to get advice on this issue), so I posted in the beginners thread, but then saw there was a diseased fish category and saw the emergency template so posted here. Mods moved original post here.

Thank you for tip on dermospordia. Now that I know what it might be called I can search that term, but I would welcome any tips you might have from experience you may have treating it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Diane 007
Replies
Views
MeowMadz
Replies
Views
darkcat
Replies
Views