Parasite Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by fish time, Jul 31, 2017.

1. fish time

fish timeWell Known MemberMember

Is there a such type of fish that can act as a parasite and go inside of a fish or a human I have heard of it but not the name of it

2. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

You are probably thinking about a fish that supposedly lives in the Amazon forest and will enter men´s uretra whenever they pee in the river. Last time I checked it was fake but I am not really sure. As for fish, I dont know of any fish that goes inside the host.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

It is not a fake, there are documented cases where Candiru catfish have had to be surgically removed from a man's privates. (Saw actual X-rays on River Monsters.) Normally they swim into the gills of large fish and suck blood from them, as the gill membranes are rich with blood vessels. Basically they smell the outflow from the gills, and the "outflow" from a person apparently has similar scents. Men and women in some parts of the Amazon are known to wear guards over their privates when urinating in the river.

A relative of the Candiru is a scavenger that burrows into the body cavity of dead fish and animals. They have occasionally attacked live people who were swimming in some parts of the Amazon, though I'm not aware of any actually living inside a live person.

4. Kenny777

Kenny777Well Known MemberMember

It's not fake I saw it on River Monsters in animal planet

5. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

I also remember it seeing on River Monsters in Animal Planet but since all those channels are full of gimmicks now I wasnt really sure. Apparently I will have to be careful if I go to the Amazon river :)

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Agree. Redmond O'Hanlon peed through a tea-strainer cause of this fish during his trip in "Between Amazone and Orinoco".

In 2016 one showed up in another forum.
    We warned the owner not to pee in his tank. He wasn't planning to woohahaha.

7. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I actually knew someone who was trying to breed them. He was feeding them with some Koi, if I remember correctly. I believe he did get eggs from them, but never heard any more after that.

8. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

I have only ever seen one. An unattractive little creature.
    If it does get into a urethra, it rapidly dies, but it throws pectoral spines out and lodges before it goes west. The danger is toxic shock.

I don't know why, but they have never caught on as an aquarium fish...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice