Paranoid About Weight Of A 55g - Page 3

SomethingsFishy1

Thanks for the layout of the stand I may use the thicker 3.5x3.5 for the corner aswell to make it a bit sturdier. I'm not giving up on a 6' tank as I'm looking for a custom built tank that would be a few inches shorter than the standard 125. If it's too expensive I'll go to the 75. Wow i've been moving back and forth with tank size but the custom tank is my last option

Dave125g

A custom tank will cost you some bucks. A new 125 with stand and lids cost me 800.

SomethingsFishy1

A custom tank will cost you some bucks. A new 125 with stand and lids cost me 800.

At my fs, a 125 with stand is $1300. I'll probably spend about 150 on the stand and maybe 500-700 for the tank but I'll see what my budget is. I guess I'll say no to expensive equipment and go with something a bit cheaper so I could afford the tank

Okay so they have the tank I wanted which is a 100 gallon long 72x18x19. Easier maintenance for me and 5" shorter than the 125g at my fs that is 24" tall. It is for $520 and ships to where I live too. That's a keeper for sure It is a Miracles tank by the way

Dave125g

Okay so they have the tank I wanted which is a 100 gallon long 72x18x19. Easier maintenance for me and 5" shorter than the 125g at my fs that is 24" tall. It is for $520 and ships to where I live too. That's a keeper for sure It is a Miracles tank by the way
What does the tank come with?

SomethingsFishy1

What does the tank come with?

Just the tank unfortunately. I asked them if I could get the braces to be removable so I could take it off when I need to rearrange or add in any hardscape peices. That would probably cost more if they would do that.

Betta Great Granny

Good luck on your upgrade when the time comes. I also am worried about my tank. I just want to go up from a 5 1/2 to a 10 but I live in a mobile home. Fish tank will be in the same spot but now on a stand, not my dresser. (10 gal. ). Anyone else with a tank in a mobile home, would appreciate your advice.

SomethingsFishy1

Good luck on your upgrade when the time comes. I also am worried about my tank. I just want to go up from a 5 1/2 to a 10 but I live in a mobile home. Fish tank will be in the same spot but now on a stand, not my dresser. (10 gal. ). Anyone else with a tank in a mobile home, would appreciate your advice.

Thank you Honestly I wouldn't be worried with a 10 gallon because that would only be around 100-130lbs (stand,gravel,rocks,etc...) Maybe even lower if you don't fill to the rim. That shouldn't be a problem really unless you're getting a big tank. I don't live in a mobile home though but I'm sure the floor would hold 100lbs unless the floor was made out of cardboard

Dave125g

A 10 gallon only weighs 100 pounds. I wouldn't worry about weight.

SomethingsFishy1

What do you think of shorter tanks that are long and wide? Would that look awkward in your opinion? 72x18x19 seems a little short for being that long. Might even get a 135g 72x24x16 but I'm thinking about it, This is starting to become a tank build lol

vikingkirken

It depends what you want to keep in it. I've seen an amazing river biotope tank that was eight feet long and pretty shallow, and it looked awesome!

SomethingsFishy1

It depends what you want to keep in it. I've seen an amazing river biotope tank that was eight feet long and pretty shallow, and it looked awesome!

I'm keeping tetras and other small schooling fish really but the height would limit some really nice big driftwood peices. I think it's worth cutting back a few inches from the height to increase the width

cadd

I agree. Tall tanks are a pain to clean. Anything above 20 tall gets my armpits wet. Lol.

SomethingsFishy1

Don't geet me wrong tall tanks are beautiful but I hate 90g or 24" tall tanks because of the height. I couldn't believe how tall it is when I saw a display at the lfs. I think I'm getting the custom 135 because 16" is definitely easy to manage and I'm sure the fish would enjoy the 24" width

Swampgorilla

A fire IS a legit concern. Though unlikely, I can tell you that - with my luck, it is something I would investigate before putting the tank in. If you put the tank next to the wall, water that comes out of the tank (we're talking like a mass quantity here) will get into the wall and traverse down to the next level below (where the water heater is?). There are wires and outlets in the wall, and while they are not exposed, in my part of the country the outlet boxes are not waterproof and the wires ARE exposed somewhat within these outlet boxes in the walls. How do I know this? I've wired a house before, though not willingly, I can assure you. I had to rewire my house after it flooded in Katrina.

So there is a potential for a "short" but it is slight, and when it happens the over-current caused by the short should selectively trip a breaker or blow a fuse ... thereby eliminating the short. If however, it doesn't trip or blow soon enough and there is debris in the outlet box, it could catch fire. A lot of household electrical wiring has, as one layer of insulation, a "wrapped" paper ribbon around the conductor. I would THINK this would be a fire-resistant kind of paper ... but it looks like regular grocery-store sack paper to me.

I'm just saying.

A 55 gal freshwater tank weighs approximately 456 lbs but that will be spread across 4 2X4 joists in the floor. It should not be a problem but this will depend on the age of the house and the condition of the wood. I would try to inspect it (if possible) to see if there is any damage to the wood first. It may not be possible though without ripping the ceiling in the floor below open, if indeed that floor has a covered ceiling.

So in that case, I default to the "Swampgorilla Prime Directive" ... "No ba**s, no blue-chips". Put it in and hope for the best! LOL

SomethingsFishy1

A fire IS a legit concern. Though unlikely, I can tell you that - with my luck, it is something I would investigate before putting the tank in. If you put the tank next to the wall, water that comes out of the tank (we're talking like a mass quantity here) will get into the wall and traverse down to the next level below (where the water heater is?). There are wires and outlets in the wall, and while they are not exposed, in my part of the country the outlet boxes are not waterproof and the wires ARE exposed somewhat within these outlet boxes in the walls. How do I know this? I've wired a house before, though not willingly, I can assure you. I had to rewire my house after it flooded in Katrina.

So there is a potential for a "short" but it is slight, and when it happens the over-current caused by the short should selectively trip a breaker or blow a fuse ... thereby eliminating the short. If however, it doesn't trip or blow soon enough and there is debris in the outlet box, it could catch fire. A lot of household electrical wiring has, as one layer of insulation, a "wrapped" paper ribbon around the conductor. I would THINK this would be a fire-resistant kind of paper ... but it looks like regular grocery-store sack paper to me.

I'm just saying.

A 55 gal freshwater tank weighs approximately 456 lbs but that will be spread across 4 2X4 joists in the floor. It should not be a problem but this will depend on the age of the house and the condition of the wood. I would try to inspect it (if possible) to see if there is any damage to the wood first. It may not be possible though without ripping the ceiling in the floor below open, if indeed that floor has a covered ceiling.

So in that case, I default to the "Swampgorilla Prime Directive" ... "No ba**s, no blue-chips". Put it in and hope for the best! LOL

It definitely scares me whenever I think about the tank leaking and causing a fire. But then again, what are the odds? What scares me more is that the joists are probably 1.5x6 (slightly under 1.5"). Sometimes, you got to risk it for the biscuit lol

SomethingsFishy1

Well final update, I am getting a 72x18x19 100 gallon or a 72x24x18 137g (leaning towards this) I figured 120lbs per sq/f is not that bad. Now time to save up and a new tank will be mine.

cadd

So how's the tank?! Post some photos please SomethingsFishy1

SomethingsFishy1

Well unfortunately, my life got really busy after the Summer and I don’t have time for a bigger tank at the moment Would love to get a bigger tank but I think i’ll stick with my 15 gallon for now until things settle down.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SixThreeOh
Replies
Views
Gurs Singh
Replies
Views
Littlebudda
Replies
Views