Paranoid About My Platy

crashdiamond

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all! So I have 5 platys in a 29 gallon tank and a purple gloshark. I’ve tried adding a sixth platy, but every time i do, it always results in a death, which happened just a few days ago. I can’t seem to find the body anymore, but that’s another story for another day.

So my only male, a Mickey Mouse platy named Walt, has been acting funny. I’ve had him for about 6-7 months now so he’s not a new resident. He’s just chilling at the top of the water all day. I’ve noticed the water might be too warm, it was about 81 degrees before I noticed and turned it down. I just did a water chance a few days ago, is he just being lazy due to water that’s too warm? Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

crashdiamond

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I plan on upgrading to a larger tank in the near future for the shark! Sadly, impulsive buyer syndrome hit me in the face.

The temperature is currently at 80, and is very slowly declining. Trying to get it to a nice 77 or so.

I test my water every three weeks or so at my LFS, and I do water changes about every three weeks to a month. I change about 30-40% of the water each time. The last time I got my water tested, my ph was at 7.2-7.4-ish, nitrates and nitrites were at zero, and ammonia levels were on the higher side of non-toxic, but I was due for a water change at that time anyways.

TexasDomer said:
Can you give us some more information?

Water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates
How often do you normally do water changes, and how much do you change?

I would strongly consider rehoming/returning the shark. They really should be in a larger tank (48" is a good minimum) as they get big, but also aggressive.
Also, when you said 48”, what did you mean by that? A 48 gallon tank? A tank that’s at least 48 inches long? Help me out here lol

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For those fish, I would go even lower - 75 F is a good temp.

When are you planning to upgrade?

I would strongly recommend you getting your own liquid test kit (liquid test kits are cheaper and more accurate than strips; the API freshwater master kit is a good one) and definitely increase your water changes to weekly. I would do 30-50% weekly. I strongly suspect water quality is the issue here.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Your tank isn't cycled, and that'll kill your fish, especially since you're doing water changes very infrequently. During cycling, you may even need to do water changes more often than weekly to keep water quality in check.

Sorry, I assumed that since you're from the US, you'd know that the " symbol stands for inches.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom