Parameters

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Gabriel-CR, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Gabriel-CR

Gabriel-CRValued MemberMember

Hi, I've seen that there is a part of people who believe that the only chemical parameter that matters in fish is KH, others that say that ph is super important, I have seen people having fish discus in ph 8 without problems, But my question is that parameters really matter to keep a fish well? temperature ph kh gh which is what really matters? Thank you

2. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Honestly in order of importance, the parameters that matter most are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Basically the nitrogen cycle.
    After that, the most important thing is to just have a stable ph, gh, and kh, and not necessarily the "ideal" parameters for the fish. Each has its own importance - if the ph is too low, your cycle will crash and you will get an ammonia spike. Higher kh will prevent swings in your ph, which is really important because your fish do not like the fluctuations. gh is completely separate and shouldn't affect your fish that much - snails, shrimp etc that have shells need a higher gh to maintain and prevent their shells from eroding, and african cichlids naturally live in higher gh, but thats about it.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the question about temperature. Temp is less important than your cycle, more important than the other parameters. So in order of importance, I would say: ammonia - nitrite - nitrate - temperature - ph - gh - kh. Also, I am one of those people who keep discus in a ph above 8. ;)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

Gabriel-CRValued MemberMember

Thanks great answer!