Parameters.

rugerjr

What do y’all prefer to keep your parameters at, and what text kits do you prefer for the different elements?

ryanr

Hi, I've removed the due to copyright, however, it can be found at https://www.redseafish.com/reef-care-recipes/

When it comes to parameters, I never a chased a specific number, and to some extent, I let my live stock dictate the parameters.
I was running NO3 2-4, PO4 0.03, Alk 9dKH, Ca ~440-480, Mg ~1350-1400 or there abouts. Ideally a reef is at 11dKH Alk, but my live stock didn't like it, so I kept it at 9dKH.

SW parameters are a general guide, because it's nearly impossible to be specific, and like FW, Saltwater fish and corals will survive in a range of parameters, except temperature. Temperature plays a huge part.

As for test kits, they're all detailed in my beginner's guide (Part 3), but in a nutshell Salifert pH/Alk, Red Sea NO3/Ca/Mg, Hanna PO4, Refractometer for salinity

Wild Bill

Those recommendations are just a guideline. Every tank is going to be different. I use Salifert and Red Sea test kits myself.
I see your from Utah. What part?

Jesterrace

What do y’all prefer to keep your parameters at, and what text kits do you prefer for the different elements?

Tank:

78-79 degrees
Salinity between 1.024-1.026 (ideally 1.025)
Ammonia and Nitrites 0
Nitrates between 10-20 (I have corals that do better with dirtier water)

For test kits, I like Red Sea for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates

The only thing I can honestly say is that I don't care for the API kit at all. It's garbage by comparison to the others.

Wild Bill

Temp spot on at 78. Nitrates at 10. They never go up or down. My fuge is literally overgrown with Chaeto (been trying to give some away). Nitrates and the big 3 is all I ever test for. I only test for ammonia and nitrites, if there is a problem.
In my Sump I keep carbon, skimmer and a ton of Chaeto. The Chaeto helps to reduce nitrates and phosphates. I also do a 25% total water volume (tank and Sump) change weekly.
Feeding is twice daily. Mornings is flakes only, evenings is flakes, mysis shrimp (frozen) and garlic pellets. I also hang NorI in the tank 3-4 times a week for the tang. If you have any question,please don’t hesitate to ask.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Small Tanks
Replies
Views
ystrout
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views