Parameter And Tank Help....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JHBROWNE, Apr 11, 2017.

1. JHBROWNE

JHBROWNE Valued Member Member

After losing one of my corys last night for a reason I can't quite nail down other than I found him caught in a artificial plant and was unable to maintain control when trying to swim...

Given I still very new at this I was wondering If you guys could look at my water test and offer any suggestions....

-20 gallon tank
    -2.5 weeks post switch from gravel to sand
    -2.5 weeks post upgrade from 10g to 20g (transferred as much water as possible from 10g tank)
    -Tetra ex30 filter
    -Air-wand
    -Heater/water temp 76.9 on average
    -Luffy moss 3 large
    -I use distilled water to maintain the tank
    -1 echo bio stone

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Residents.....
    4 bloodfins
    1 clown pleco
    2 red eye tetras
    2 albino corys
    3 peppered
    3 sterbai
    2 narcissus -I believe- (had 3 lost 1 last night)

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Okay so just a few things, water doesn't carry any nitrifying bacteria so putting old water into new tank isn't going to do anything.

Also, I don't know how to read these test strips & they are inaccurate. I would suggest buying a drip test kit by API.

Also, you have some stocking issues if you would like to discuss them.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Your Kh and Ph are very low, probably from using distilled water. Are you just using distilled water or are you adding stuff to it?

4. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

I can get a kit, I kept the old filter running with the new one, the bio stone was also from the old tank I tried to keep as much as possible...I didn't realize that the water didn't make a difference....

Just distilled, we have a well and softener so I was told not to use our water...

Yes, any help with stocking would be welcome...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  5. MaddieTaylah

It's good that you kept the old filter media, in a month or so you should be able to remove one of the filters because the bacteria will have populated within the new filter media.

Okay, is this a 20 gallon tall or a 20 gallon long?

6. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

The 10 gallon tank was 7 month old...and clear as could be...

Current set up....[​IMG]

7. MaddieTaylah

It won't harm your fish, it's just not really necessary.

8. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

9. MaddieTaylah

Okay so your stocking issues are:

You should only have one type of corydora in your tank as the different species don't school together and they need to be in groups of at least 6 of their own species.

2 schools of tetras should be okay in your tank since it is quite long, however they also needs groups of at least 6.

10. BottomDweller

Distilled water doesn't have the minerals in that fish need so you need to add them back in. Such a low Kh and Ph are not good for the fish and you have nothing to buffer Ph

The bloodfins, red eyes, albino cories, peppered cories, sterbai cories, and long nosed cory all need to be in groups of 6+
    The bloodfins and peppered cories prefer cooler water to the clown pleco, sterbai and albino cories.
    You only really have room for 1 school of cories and 1 mid dwelling school of fish in this size tank

11. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

Heard from many that the API strips are notorious for being inaccurate. The API liquids are much better. Also heard that Tetra and Marineland strips are much better.

12. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

Will they be ok....my tank surely is not large enough to up stock :)

What would you recommend as an additive?

13. MaddieTaylah

You definetely don't have enough room to give all of your corydoras groups of 6+ but they will not be okay like this either, they will be stressed out.

14. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

I thought they were doing well as they spend a lot of time with each other...I feel awful they are my babies!

15. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A word of caution on the corys, if you do have C.narcissus they aren't as peaceful as the short nose species, the males can get quite aggressive as they mature & have been known to kill their cory tankmates over females when in breeding mode.

16. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

[​IMG]

I believe that is what they are...

17. MaddieTaylah

I'm sure that you care about them all very much, and the best thing that you can do for them is to return them to the pet store or rehome them and just keep one species and bump that species up to a group of 6.

18. BottomDweller

You could rehome some fish and have

8 bloodfins
    6-8 peppered cories
    1 or 2 platies
    1 Bolivian ram

OR
    1 clown pleco
    6-8 red eye tetras
    6-8 sterbai cories
    1 honey gourami

Your schooling fish would be so much happier in a larger group

19. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

We have a 10 gallon also it's my little girls...which has 4 blood fins, 2 red eyes, a peppered which is huge, an albino, and a clown pleco and a rescue platty....could I shuffle them?

Also what should I be adding to the water to help....

Is this Cory aggressive by nature? [​IMG]

I wish the local fish store was more helpful obviously I received so bad advice, and all they sell are fish...might as well went to petsmart

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  20. MaddieTaylah

20 gallons is the minimum for these fish, however I would suggest putting all the bloodfin tetras with the peppered cories & platies in the 10 gallon & the red eye tetras with the rest of the cories and the clown pleco in the 20 gallon temporarily just so they are all temperature compatible.

I would be asking them to take some of the fish back if they are the ones that said that this stocking was okay.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice