Paraguard to treat possible protozoan infection

1. Lchi87 Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone,

So I have been battling a possible protozoan infection in one of my tanks the past few weeks and have been using Paraguard as suggested by my LFS. I wasn't sure what was wrong at first but I brought in a danio for them to inspect and I was told that it was a protozoan infection, which I have no experience in dealing with. I have lost 3 fish already and it's looking like I may lose a 4th soon and have been treating the tank at full dosage daily for about a week.

Is there anything else I can do to help get rid of this quicker?

Extra information:
    Tank size: 10 gallon, planted
    4 glolight danios, 1 endler, 2 endler fry, 1 nerite snail
    Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 0
    pH: 7.8
    temp: 79-80
    weekly water changes between 25%-50%

Symptoms the fish are showing: wasting, bent spine, slight pineconing, lethargy, sometimes white poop.

I can try to add a picture to this thread after I get off work but even sick danios are hard to photograph!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How did your LFS know it was a protozoan infection? I'm very curious as to how they came to that conclusion.

Have you finished your paraguard treatment? It might be worth trying something to treat bacterial infections.

3. Lchi87 Well Known Member Member

The guy at the store just examined the danio and dying male endler that I had brought with me and asked me a few general questions about how long I've had them, changes in behavior, how often I do WCs and what color their poop was. Then he did some googling and came to that conclusion. He said that it was most likely that since their color was still good despite being sick. He seemed pretty sure of himself.

I wasn't sure how long the treatment period for paraguard was but it's been about a week now.

What are your recommendations for treating bacterial infections?

4. Lchi87 Well Known Member Member

The danio was dead when I got home. :( Everyone else in the tank looks healthy so I'm hoping that is the last casualty.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry he didn't make it. Hopefully no one else gets sick!

If the guy at the store didn't run any diagnostic tests (and he was googling), then he was definitely guessing.

If I don't know what something is, the fish needs something, and I want to treat with antibiotics broadly, I use a combo of Metroplex and erythromycin.

6. Lchi87 Well Known Member Member

Thanks I'll try that. Another danio is looking pretty lethargic so I'm hoping something will work.