Paragaurd for ick??

1. j

jlallard Valued Member Member

I just discovered a small white spot on one of my platies. I'm assuming its ick so I dosed with paragaurd. I checked all the other fish and they're all fine for now. I can't put him in quarantine because my quarantine tank is now housing a betta. Should I take any other actions against this?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I would stop meds treatment and start heat treatment... once a single fish has ICH, the whole tank is infected, so QT is not going to be useful.

3. OP
    OP
    j

Alright, I literally just put the medicine in about 5 to 10 minutes ago, do I need to wait or can I start slowly increasing the temp right now??

4. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

You can't use meds and heat at the same time - it'll suffocate your fish. So if you're going to use heat, do a water change first and add an airstone.

5. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

One white spot on one fish does not always indicate ick.

6. OP
    OP
    j

Alright, thanks a bunch!!! I'll do a water change first thing in the morning. Is 75% alright?

7. m

mopa Valued Member Member

Raise the temp to 86 let it go for 3 weeks during this time when doing water changes vacuum the dead scales from the fish when you vacuum the bottom. The ich will look like it disappears before the 3 weeks up but keep it for full time to kill the disease, don't be tempted to end it early cause it looks ok.

8. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I think you want to make sure your fish have ich before raising the temp. If it is a fungus, the heat will actually make the fungus get worse. Ich looks as if your fish has been sprinkled with salt, where fungus is a white cottony patch.

9. v

valau Valued Member Member

I successfully treated ich with a few weeks ago. I raised the temperature to 84, and dosed Paraguard for two weeks every night after the lights were off, with a 20% water change at the end of week one. Also added a bit of aquarium salt, but I have salt-sensitive fish so I didn't want to overdo it. I also lowered my water about 5 inches so that the filter made tons of bubbles to aerate the water, since I didn't have an air pump. Not sure which of the three (paraguard, temperature, or salt) did the trick, but it worked. After 6-7 days, all the spots disappeared. Kept up the treatment for an additional week just in case.