Paragaurd for ick??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jlallard, Aug 2, 2014.

1. j

jlallard Valued Member Member

I just discovered a small white spot on one of my platies. I'm assuming its ick so I dosed with paragaurd. I checked all the other fish and they're all fine for now. I can't put him in quarantine because my quarantine tank is now housing a betta. Should I take any other actions against this?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I would stop meds treatment and start heat treatment... once a single fish has ICH, the whole tank is infected, so QT is not going to be useful.

3. OP
    OP
    j

Alright, I literally just put the medicine in about 5 to 10 minutes ago, do I need to wait or can I start slowly increasing the temp right now??

4. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

You can't use meds and heat at the same time - it'll suffocate your fish. So if you're going to use heat, do a water change first and add an airstone.

5. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

One white spot on one fish does not always indicate ick.

6. OP
    OP
    j

Alright, thanks a bunch!!! I'll do a water change first thing in the morning. Is 75% alright?

7. m

mopa Valued Member Member

Raise the temp to 86 let it go for 3 weeks during this time when doing water changes vacuum the dead scales from the fish when you vacuum the bottom. The ich will look like it disappears before the 3 weeks up but keep it for full time to kill the disease, don't be tempted to end it early cause it looks ok.

8. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I think you want to make sure your fish have ich before raising the temp. If it is a fungus, the heat will actually make the fungus get worse. Ich looks as if your fish has been sprinkled with salt, where fungus is a white cottony patch.

9. v

valau Valued Member Member

I successfully treated ich with a few weeks ago. I raised the temperature to 84, and dosed Paraguard for two weeks every night after the lights were off, with a 20% water change at the end of week one. Also added a bit of aquarium salt, but I have salt-sensitive fish so I didn't want to overdo it. I also lowered my water about 5 inches so that the filter made tons of bubbles to aerate the water, since I didn't have an air pump. Not sure which of the three (paraguard, temperature, or salt) did the trick, but it worked. After 6-7 days, all the spots disappeared. Kept up the treatment for an additional week just in case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice