Paradise Gourami housing and compatibility

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Aquaphobia, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Fell in love with a beautiful pair of these fish but want to know more about them. I'll have a 20 long available and what I've read is that it has the right footprint but I don't know whether to trust it. Plus, that's probably the minimum for a pair. I've also read that pairs aren't really a good idea because the male will bother a single female too much.

What about tankmates? Are they peaceful? Are they warm water or cool?

Probably won't go for it but had to ask:)

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

They can be pretty aggressive. I would definitely do a 2 F to 1 M ratio. I would agree that the 20 long is the minimum footprint. Temps are pretty flexible according to fishbase with a max of 26 C. They should be safe with smaller schooling fish like harlequin's or cherry barbs (or tetras with similar body shapes). I'd avoid any other gourami or wide bodied tetra like the skirts or lemons or diamonds as the larger body may attract aggression from them.

3. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, I did. Thanks TexasDomer! I just wanted to double check with you guys:)
    tyguy7760, darnit, I was afraid of that. Oh well, maybe someday! Not sure I'd want to cram 3 of them into a 20 long.

4. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

You may be able to do 2 females or a single male in a 20 long

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice