Paradise Fish With Swollen Belly

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Susanne Fox, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Susanne FoxNew MemberMember

Hi, I bought a female paradise fish 2 weeks ago. She is alone in a 54 litre tank. After the 1st week, I noticed her tummy growing. I have been careful with the water quality, she is fed pellets. Could she be carrying eggs? She shared a tank with males and females in the shop. Also, my previous paradise fish (female) died from dropsy or similar (nut was removed from the tank before she died) - is this something which could be spread to the new fish?
    She is currently very happy, darting about everywhere and eating well.
    I have fed her a couple of peas over the past few days in case she was bloated - she gobbled them up, but not much difference to her tummy.
    I hope this photo helps! Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    S

Susanne FoxNew MemberMember

Oh dear! The old fish wasn't a nut! Should read 'she'! :0

3. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

She looks very healthy to me, she just needs a boyfriend.

4. OP
    OP
    S

I don't have space for a 2nd tank for after breeding though! Also, I was told that my tank was only big enough for 1 paradise fish!
    Will she get rid of the eggs without breeding??

5. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

She may re-absorb them, or dump them. If she doesn't do one or the other, it could be bad for her health.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Ok thanks for the info. How long should it take for her to dump the eggs - how long before I should worry?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice