Paradise fish questions

PlantedCommunityTank132

I'm thinking of setting up a 20 or a 33 gallon tank for a pair of paradise fish, and want to ask some questions about them before I actually buy them. First of all, could I put them in the 20 gallon tank, and them getting along fine? also, is there anything I can do to trigger them to spawn? would you suggest any fish I could also breed in the same tank, if I had them in the 33 gallon? maybe corydoras? there will probably be more questions as I go along. thanks

PlantedCommunityTank132

can anyone answer these questions?

Flyfisha

They have a reputation as being aggressive.They are similar to betta in that respect.

I brought two pairs for a local club member from a farmer 350 km / 217 miles away . Yes they are that hard to find in Australia. It’s kind of illegal to sell females in my state . Anyway he put the pairs in heavily planted outdoor tubs of approximately 33 gallons. He has had no breeding activity this summer but was a bit late starting as it’s now mid winter. One pair was a complete fail with the death of the female from he believes fighting. The other pair have gone into hiding.

Sorry I can’t give you much information except to say the reputation as aggressive is true. I doubt you could have any other species in a pairs tank?
Do you have multiple tanks to raise the fry?
Do you have the live food cultures used to trigger spawning in the adults and smaller cultures of live food for the fry?

PlantedCommunityTank132

They have a reputation as being aggressive.They are similar to betta in that respect.

I brought two pairs for a local club member from a farmer 350 km / 217 miles away . Yes they are that hard to find in Australia. It’s kind of illegal to sell females in my state . Anyway he put the pairs in heavily planted outdoor tubs of approximately 33 gallons. He has had no breeding activity this summer but was a bit late starting as it’s now mid winter. One pair was a complete fail with the death of the female from he believes fighting. The other pair have gone into hiding.

Sorry I can’t give you much information except to say the reputation as aggressive is true. I doubt you could have any other species in a pairs tank?
Do you have multiple tanks to raise the fry?
Do you have the live food cultures used to trigger spawning in the adults and smaller cultures of live food for the fry?
okay. I'm building a aquarium rack with a 5 gallon, two 10 gallons, two 20 gallons, and a 33 gallon tank. I do want to breed corydoras in the 33 gallon, and killifish in the 5-10 gallons, so the only place I could put them would be the two 20 gallons. I do have a brine shrimp hatchery, and im planning on making a live infusoria culture. would the 20 gallons be too small?

Flyfisha

I have no hands on experience with the paradise fish species.

My impression is you would need multiple tanks to introduce the pair over time similar to how betta are placed in containers beside each other were they can see each other . With betta the female is housed in a separate cage / tank within the males tank . Removing the cage is done at a time when can be around to net out fish if they are killing each other.

It might be a project for some time in the future when you have more experience raising fry?
Raising dozens of corydoras fry would be good practice. You will need all your tanks for corydoras fry ?

i have messed around with a number of live food cultures. Two that have become my stable on top of the daily brine shrimp are micro worms and grindle worms. Both very easy compared to daphnia , Infusorea and bloodworms.
A link to another local club members channel.

You might find his room interesting?

. Micro worm cultures should not be expensive ($3) depending on who you are dealing with ?

PlantedCommunityTank132

okay thanks. I'm rethinking the whole paradise fish thing right now cuz I got some other cool ideas for the tanks that would be less work. Thanks for all the effort of helping me tho :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaAlic
Replies
Views
Paradise fish
Replies
Views
NavigatorBlack
Replies
Views