15 Gallon Tank Paradise fish heavy planted 16g, add schooling fish or no?

skaram00sh

I've got a lovely heavily planted 16g tank with a singular male paradise fish and a handful of cherry shrimp as stock, and I'm debating whether I should add a small shoal of panda cories (or some white clouds) or not. My Paradise fish already snacks on the cherry shrimp, although I'm not sure of his behaviour regarding other fish. Tank dimensions are 22x14x12'', Temperature is around 22°C (72°F) and filter is well within capacity.

Should I risk it or leave it be?

Attachments

• 1642707205533.png
    1642707205533.png
    802.8 KB · Views: 15

jinjerJOSH22

I've got a lovely heavily planted 16g tank with a singular male paradise fish and a handful of cherry shrimp as stock, and I'm debating whether I should add a small shoal of panda cories (or some white clouds) or not. My Paradise fish already snacks on the cherry shrimp, although I'm not sure of his behaviour regarding other fish. Tank dimensions are 22x14x12'', Temperature is around 22°C (72°F) and filter is well within capacity.

Should I risk it or leave it be?
Hi. very likely he will attack anything added to the tank so I would say leave him be. It was quite something watching my Black Paradise pair attempt(and succeed!) to kill everything that moved that was added. This was the case when they were in a 12 gallon and I added Five Banded Barbs but also the case when I added Glowlight Danios to a 33 gallon.

Joshaeus

I personally think this tank is just large enough for a paradise fish pair...but not for any tank mates large enough not to get eaten by the paradise fish(es). I've had a two inch/5 cm paradise fish female kill and eat zebra danios almost as large as themselves (and I've had MANY paradise fish that would eat surprisingly large tank mates for their slow swimming speed and small mouths), and you probably shouldn't put any larger schooling or shoaling fish in a tank this size. If you decide to add a female I'd add more cover and watch them very carefully for aggression (and make sure the water is too agitated for him to build a bubblenest).

If the only occupants are paradise fish and cherry shrimp, then there is little point in heating the tank. Both can easily go to 50 fahrenheit/10 celsius without issue, and paradise fish may even benefit from having the temperature drop in winter (plus lower temperatures make fish a little less aggressive).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
littleredridingmech
Replies
Views
KimberlyG
Replies
Views
Becknewt24
Replies
Views