Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Paradise Female With Split Tail? Worse Than When I Got Her.

Discussion in 'Paradise Fish' started by jaderivf, Apr 22, 2019.

1. jaderivfNew MemberMember

hi! as the title says, i have a paradise female with a split tail, and it's worse now than it was when i got her two, three weeks ago. i have made 2 water changes since, about 30% each, but i intend to do more, smaller changes more often (ideally, i'll do 10% every day, or 30% every other. whichever my energy level will allow after work). the changes weren't enough to really polish the water, i know. i guess my real question is, after i get my water quality super high, will her tail heal neatly? or will it be scarred and look damaged for the rest of her life? can i dab or disinfect it with anything without medicating the tank or isolating her? thanks, guys!

2. jaderivfNew MemberMember

pictures of the damage :( poor thing 20190422_220806.jpeg20190422_215249.jpeg20190422_215349.jpeg [ATTACH=full

Attached Files:

3. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

It looks infected to me so I think some medication is needed. I'd try daily Methylene blue baths for about 15min each time. It's a nice antifungal and antibiotic so it works wonders for damaged fins and even external skin issues.

4. jaderivfNew MemberMember

wonderful, thank you!!

5. jaderivfNew MemberMember

she is eating very well still. not swimming actively if there isn't food for motivation, but her tail is hurting her, so she doesn't like to use it at the moment. i have methylene blue waiting for me to pick up at the post office in the morning, and will do daily baths. the tail isn't getting any worse, and i take that as a very good sign. thanks for asking, and for your support :)

6. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

That's great! It's a good sign that it hasn't gotten worse. I've had good luck with methylene blue on a lot of external infections, but I use a slightly different method.
    So, it stains everything and kills your cycle, you'll need a different container. I normally use 99ยข sterilite tubs, 1.5 gallons, and if I have a big splashy fish, I lay down some cheap painters tarp around the area.
    There are two doses; one for eggs and prolonged use, the other for a dip. Double the egg dose, I think 10 drops per gallon, mix it up, and put your fish in for 30 minutes. Repeat every day or every other day, monitor how much it stresses your fish. And expect your fish to breathe heavily after being moved back to the aquarium, that's normal.
    Do 3-4 baths until you see improvement. If you don't, you may want to do a hydrogen peroxide swab

7. MaximumRide14Well Known MemberMember

Besides possible swimming issues (due to how much of the tail was split) I don't see any other problems after you heal the infection with methylene blue. @Rtessy has great dosage advice above. Make sure to keep up the water changes and make sure your fish can get enough food.