Par rating?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by fishcrazy99, Jul 24, 2015.

1. f

fishcrazy99 Well Known Member Member

Does anyone know the par rating of this setup or a similar set up?

55 Gallon with two 24" t5 bulbs - aqueon floramax plant growth bulbs

Im upgrading my lighting and I'm trying to figure out how much of an upgrade it will actually be (the above setup will be my old set up)

Thanks in advance!

2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

First I will say that upgrading to an LED kits, like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Planted-Aquarium-Moonlights/dp/B00GH9HURE) will be a cheaper option in the long run (it will last 15-30 years before needing to be replaced).

As for calculating the PAR rating, I would need to know the exact wattage of your bulbs and how good your reflectors are in your fixture. Also the height of the tank from the substrate to the bulb.

This is what you are after for PAR numbers..

Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR - CO2 is not needed, but is helpful to the plants
    Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems
    High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR - pressurized CO2 is essential to avoid major algae problems

I am getting the LED kit that I linked too above very soon. The math comes out to save me over $600 over the lifetime of the LED kit.

3. OP
    OP
    f

Yes i have ordered the finnex planted plus 24/7 that will be getting here today. Just want to know how much I am upgrading. Depth is about 20 inches. The bulb is 15 W and there are two of them each 18". No reflectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

No reflectors? wow.. I thought all fixtures had reflectors lol. Okay, to keep it easy for you to understand, I have a 48" that is 32 watt on the same size tank with reflectors and my PAR is around 7, which is about half of what I would need. I would think yours being a little less watts and no reflectors would be less than mine. You did the right thing ordering the Finnex, you wont regret it, and your plants will thank you!

5. OP
    OP
    f

Im glad! That really is a huge upgrade! Thank you for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice