PAR and lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Phishphin, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Phishphin

PhishphinWell Known MemberMember

Ok, so we all know that PAR is how to discuss a plant's lighting needs, however, we all still use the terms "low, moderate, and high" as describing a plants lighting needs. So... is anyone aware of a resouce that breaks down where low, moderate, and high fall into regarding a spectrum of PAR?

For example... My Finnex Ray 2 DS has the following PAR data...

6 inches from surface = PAR 166
    12 inches from surface = PAR 80
    18 inches from surface = PAR 60
    24 inches from surface = PAR 44

My tank is 20 inches deep with 3 inches of dirted substrate, meaning my ground cover dwarf sag will receive just above 60 PAR (20-3=17) while my Wisteria and Ludwigia Repens are maybe only 10 inches from the surface, so their PAR received is over 80.

[​IMG]

Question: What PARs are considered low, moderate, and high? I know folks grow dwarf hairgrass at around 30 PAR, which is a "moderate" light plant... so does that mean I'm running a high light tank? Or does high light mean an even greater PAR!?

2. Jim

JimWell Known MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    Phishphin

PhishphinWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I visit that site a lot for plants, but was still having trouble nailing it down. It all seems really subjective. The consensus appears to be low light is a PAR of 15-30, moderate PAR is 30-50, and High PAR is anything over 50. Neat.

If anyone wants to correct this, please add your :;2cents

:-D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice