Papyrus Plants in Aquarium?

BarbBart

I found this picture online with some papyrus plants growing out of an aquarium.

papyrus.jpg

I also found some plants at my local home center called "Dwarf Egyptian Papyrus" in with pond plants.

I would think this would suck nitrates out of the water like pothos I've done in the past.

Has anyone ever done this?

Any tips?

Any drawbacks?

Thanks

Seasoldier

Never tried anything like this but that tank looks awesome, I'd love one like that.

PeterFishKeepin

Im fairly certain ive seen this in a friends pond, it should be fine just keep stems and leaves out of water...

Flyfisha

I have papyrus growing in outdoor tanks. It’s nice to look at and survives mild frost. It is however very slow growing compared to pothos so will not remove as much toxic waste from the water as faster growing plants.

If you want to search on line for more plants look at “marginal plants” . That is plants from the margins of lakes . Plants that can cope with water around their roots but not their leaves.
Plants native to your area might be free?
I would recommend bazillion pennywort as a fast growing nice looking creeping plant.
This is one plant I like and use indoors and outdoors.

You ask if papyrus has any drawbacks.
The height of the plant makes lighting difficult.

FishDin

Yes, you want the dwarf variety. I have several growing from one of my tanks. They get to about 36" tall max., just like the photo. I also have some peace lillys and japanese blue flag as well as pothos and a philodendron.

Before I planted all of these I had trouble keeping the nitrates below 40ppm. Now, I have to fertilize or my typical submerged aquarium plants start to suffer.

I have mine planted in planters that hang in the tank, but I don't see why they couldn't go directly in the substrate as long as the leaves are above water.

My tank does not get much ambient light, so I installed a light above them for all the emergent plants. It's on for 6 hours daily. The tank in the photo would not need a light due to the window proximity.

Here's a blog that might be helpful: News

BarbBart

I have papyrus growing in outdoor tanks. It’s nice to look at and survives mild frost. It is however very slow growing compared to pothos so will not remove as much toxic waste from the water as faster growing plants.

If you want to search on line for more plants look at “marginal plants” . That is plants from the margins of lakes . Plants that can cope with water around their roots but not their leaves.
Plants native to your area might be free?
I would recommend bazillion pennywort as a fast growing nice looking creeping plant.
This is one plant I like and use indoors and outdoors.

You ask if papyrus has any drawbacks.
The height of the plant makes lighting difficult.
I really like that Brazilian pennywort. I think I might give that a try. Thanks

JustAFishServant

I have pennywort and papyrus in a few tanks. I really like them. Unlike pothos or philodendron you can't have the stems or leaves underwater. To me, pennywort looks like lilypads. Obviously papyrus looks like palms because I believe it is. They're really awesome plants :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • poppinpinto
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
poppinpinto
Replies
Views
Bubble