pantyhose to diffuse filter flow?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
someone suggested to me to use pantyhose(new) to cover the mouth of the filter to slow the flow down for a betta tank. is this something that is good to do? i tried it last night on my 10g divided betta tank and it seems to help. pretty boy the new betta....don't have a real name yet lol, isn't being blown around as much. he's able to swim better.

are there any negatives to doing this? x

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have tried this. The problem is the hose will clog quickly,and you go from a slower flow to no flow. JME.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have tried this. The problem is the hose will clog quickly,and you go from a slower flow to no flow. JME.
That's the problem I ran into also.
Now if needed, I use a coarse filter sponge. Preferably one thats not too dense.
Slit a hole in the middle and slide in over the intake.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's the problem I ran into also.
Now if needed, I use a coarse filter sponge. Preferably one thats not too dense.
Slit a hole in the middle and slide in over the intake.
i think i know what you mean....what type of sponge? i have aquaclear sponges, but they seems too thick. i could cut one.....but maybe there are cheaper options?

fishnob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have both ways going right now in two of my tanks. The pantyhose does clog up fast, the other way I took an aquaclear 20 sponge and poked a hole and it is the perfect size. It doesn't look pretty in the tank though =( I also noticed that the sponge is better in terms of the fishies not flying around the tank. The sponge has yet to clog on me. Another plus is that you can use this to help seed another tank down the road if you want. I just did it and got an instant cycle no jump in any readings =)

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i think i know what you mean....what type of sponge? i have aquaclear sponges, but they seems too thick. i could cut one.....but maybe there are cheaper options?
Any sponge will do.
I've used aquaclear. Keep your eyes open for ones on sale too!

The sponge has yet to clog on me. Another plus is that you can use this to help seed another tank down the road if you want. I just did it and got an instant cycle no jump in any readings =)

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks everyone and fishnob. now that you all are saying hose clogs fast, i'm thinking i won't do it. and i'm glad it can help with an instant cycle! oh well if it doesn't look the greatest.

so i'm trying to imagine this. so the sponge would slow the flow down from the sides and the center isn't covered. right? could you actually cut the sponge in half? to make it less bulky. my aquaclear sponge is quite big....i wonder if it would be more pleasing to the eye if it were more "dainty" haha.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I fit mine like a sleeve (with no opening at the bottom) and slide the out take into the sponge.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom