Pangasius Catfish/iridescent Shark, Food Problem

kbn

Hi, everyone. I have an iridescent shark that won't touch anything but pellets. Live food, freeze dried, doesn't even look at them.I've fed live and freeze dried for two days and he starved instead of eating. What should I do?

Danjamesdixon

When did you get him? It's common for new fish to not eat for a few days, sometimes up to a week or two.

Also, if you don't mind - what do you plan to do with him when he starts growing to his adult size? Iridescent Sharks really have no place in the domestic hobby.

kbn

I got him a month ago. I know it's not common for new iridescent sharks to not eat for days, but he has adapted fine. And don't worry about the space, I've got that sorted out. It's just the food. By the way he's a juvenile.

Platylover

Have you tried soaking it in garlic?

kbn

Why'd that help? Just asking.

Platylover

A majority of fish are attracted to the scent and will go crazy for it. That’s why it’s good to soak food in to entice them to eat.

david1978

Variety is nice but good quality pellets are the bulk of his food so I wouldn't worry too much.

DoubleDutch

kbn said:
I got him a month ago. I know it's not common for new iridescent sharks to not eat for days, but he has adapted fine. And don't worry about the space, I've got that sorted out. It's just the food. By the way he's a juvenile.
How do you know it is common ?

kbn

Sorry, I meant it is common for iridescent sharks to NOT eat for days after they have been introduced to new tanks. I know this partly by experience and partly by the internet

DoubleDutch

kbn said:
Sorry, I meant it is common for iridescent sharks to NOT eat for days after they have been introduced to new tanks. I know this partly by experience and partly by the internet
Nice !!!! I always thought there were only a few keepers of these fish cause as mentioned earlier they shouldn't be in the hobbytrade.

Danjamesdixon

I assume you have checked all the regular parameters, temperature, visual inspections of the fish itself and so on?

kbn

yes.

DoubleDutch said:
Nice !!!! I always thought there were only a few keepers of these fish cause as mentioned earlier they shouldn't be in the hobbytrade.
what do you mean

DoubleDutch

kbn said:
what do you mean
I mean to say it is great that you found that info about a fish that isn't kept that often.

kbn

hmm

But is it OK that a fish like that which will grow quite large doesn't eat live, protein food?

david1978 said:
Variety is nice but good quality pellets are the bulk of his food so I wouldn't worry too much.
I just want a second opinion and the reason for this strange food behaviour.

_IceFyre_

It's pretty common for many different types of fish to not eat for a few days from the stress of arriving in a new environment. IME, animals won't starve themselves if there's food available. He'll probably start eating soon.

kbn

I've had him for a month. Isn't that enough?

Platylover said:
Have you tried soaking it in garlic?
I tried it, didn't work.

_IceFyre_

Oh if it's been a month, that's pretty odd. Does he have a sunken stomach or any other signs of starvation? Is it possible that he's been cleaning the food off the bottom when you're not looking? I've heard of fish that are scared to eat when they're being closely watched.

kbn

No, he seems fine in other aspects. He's a nice healthy colour and I'm sure that he doesn't eat off the floor and when I'm not looking

kbn

Guys, please give me advice

abhinavsuman77

That's not a big problem. I do have a pair of Iridescent Sharks and they didn't eat for a month because of change in their environment. Make sure you have more fishes in your tank coz these fishes feel safe when they are in more number, around 4-5 should be fine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom