Panda platy baby tank ammonia level high

• Thread starter Avenaababyy
  • Start date

Avenaababyy

I have a 5.5 gallon tank with baby panda platys and that’s it in the tank.. I do daily 10% water changes. But my ammonia is still staying right at or a little below 6ppm. How do I get the ammonia down and keep it safe for the baby’s (1 week old) I can’t use a gravel vacuum on the tank and they don’t seem to be stressed or bothered by it but I know it can cause issues..

kattiq

Well Known
How many do you have? Is your tank cycled? And you want to do a much bigger water change to drop that ammonia- I would do 50% right away and then check the levels.
Unfortunately your 5.5g is way too small for platys in general. I would consider upgrading asap their minimum requirement is at least a 10g.

Avenaababyy

kattiq said:
How many do you have? Is your tank cycled? And you want to do a much bigger water change to drop that ammonia- I would do 50% right away and then check the levels.
Unfortunately your 5.5g is way too small for platys in general. I would consider upgrading asap their minimum requirement is at least a 10g.
There’s about 8-10 little babies in there I plan on moving them to the big tank when they get a little bigger. The tank is cycled for 1.5 months w/o fish and had fish in it for about 2 weeks. I don’t exactly know how to do a 50% water change without using the gravel cleaner. I’ve been using a turkey baster to get food our algae off the bottom. Would I just take it from the top to keep from getting the babies trapped in the vacuum cause they still hide in the rocks and are just now barely big enough to see well

kattiq

Well Known
How big is the bigger tank? I'm actually kind of surprised those babies would cause that much of an ammonia problem. Maybe a bigger WC now and then do 25-30% WC once a week would help reset it. Are you reading any nitrates at all?
And I since it's a smaller tank you could just use a big cup and pour it into a bucket, tedious but effective and then I would just look at the bucket and make sure the little ones somehow didn't get in there.

Avenaababyy

The other tank is a 37gallon tank and only has 4 panda platys in it. The nitrates are reading 0ppm and same with nitrites. I’ve been doing daily’s because I’ve research and the baby’s love daily 10% water changes.. but I’ll do a big one today instead. Also the ph is reading low like under the low reading on the stick no matter how many times I dose the tank with ph up

kattiq

Well Known
Hmm, what kind of testing kit are you using?

Avenaababyy

Top Bottom