Panda Oranda color change?

qldmick

Hey looking at these guys here and just wondering is the black stable?

Mod edit: images removed for copyright issues

jtjgg

usually not. the black on Black Moors are supposed to be the most stable, but many Black Moors actually lose their black and become orange telescopes.

JustAFishServant

Did you mean the 2 panda orandas or the calico telescope?

Black moors turn orange in warm water or black in cold water. Panda orandas or calico moors stay the same color with occasional pattern changes (like a black patch getting bigger, a white patch smaller or vise versa). Scale color gets lighter or darker based on lighting, water chemistry, diet or age. But luckily, black, white, and other colors usually stay.

qldmick

Does anyone know why my Bristol Shubunkin lost its black? I thought all nacreous goldfish held their black?

jtjgg

color changes even on nacreous. nacreous/calico just lack guanine(metallic) on the scales giving them that blue-ish gray color.

qldmick

color changes even on nacreous. nacreous/calico just lack guanine(metallic) on the scales giving them that blue-ish gray color.
Ok I didn't know.
From what I remember over the years I've had 2 x calico orandas, 1 x calico telescope eye, and 2 x shubunkins and its only that 1 Bristol Shubunkin that lost its black, Its a real shame as he had perfect fins for a Bristol. On the other hand I've had 1 x tri color Oranda, 1 x red and black Oranda, and 1 x Blackmoor nymph that all lost their black.

jtjgg

yes, since goldfish are tetraploid with 100 chromosomes, its very difficult to predict which goldfish will maintain its colors, and which will lose it. even from the same spawn and kept in exactly the same enviornment.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Amythe
Replies
Views
Kevinnatanaels
Replies
Views
Cooperman411

Did You Know...

You can tag another member to get their attention in a thread by typing the @ symbol and then the forum member name. For example: type @Mike within your post and the forum will auto-link the name and send Mike a notification when you submit your thread or post.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom