Panda Molly Pregnant?

Carlamichele

Reaction score
DB5FED2E-5E07-468D-AC06-A406080AAF27.jpeg
90D64BB9-5AD2-4BD1-9416-8904DBCF0817.jpeg
BC103B29-9316-492D-9B2E-CC23D7C3D608.jpeg
Hi friends - we got my daughter a fish tank and spent a ton of time researching what can fit etc. I’m now worried one of my mollies is pregnant. I tried searching for hours online (honestly how I found this site) and can’t wrap my head around it if CT is or not. We have a super peaceful tank and the fish have been amazing and low stress. Not even sure what happens if she/he is? Any help would be amazing!

Gourami123

Reaction score
That is actually a male molly so no he is not pregnant. If he was not like that before then he could be bloated or else he is probably a balloon belly molly which is a kind of molly that has a larger belly than other. If you want to avoid having fry in your tank try to just have male or females in your tank. It is very easy to tell the difference between the two so if you look up pictures you will find what you need.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a "male" Molly of this kind that was actually a female. If yours is the analfin will fan out even if it's long. If it's a gonopodium it will be more pointy.

AxolotlAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The easiest way to tell between males and females with livebearers is to look at the analfin. Females have wide, fan-shaped ones, and males are long and more pointy than a female's. It's hard to tell from these photos because sometimes they will clamp their fins. How long did it take for its belly to grow? Does it have a dark spot near its analfin? Is its stomach getting more square-shaped? If yes, then it may be female and may be pregnant.

Carlamichele

Reaction score
I honestly thought that the fish came home more like a balloon. We have a black and white molly in the tank as well but they both have way shorter back fins. So I thought this one was just a different breed. The find doesn't seem to flow and always looks like the photos. So now I'm really hoping it's a boy!

Thank you all so much for your help! My S.O has me paranoid because I do not want babies.

Carlamichele

Reaction score
Sorry not back fins - the underneath fin :shame: None of them seem to fan out the way that everyone is mentioned for a female.

AxolotlAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Carlamichele said:
Sorry not back fins - the underneath fin :shame: None of them seem to fan out the way that everyone is mentioned for a female.
Good luck. I think its quite unlikely that your fish will have babies at this point.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In these pics it's a bit confusing wether it's a male or female. Can't really figger out if the analfin is being clamped or not or if it's a real gonopodium. Maybe with a different background it can be better determined.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom