Question Panda Guppy Worth It?

CrimsonMoon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI All :)

LFS recently had some Dwarf Blue Panda Guppies in stock, but of course they sold like hot chops and I missed the boat.
I love the Dwarf Blue Panda and have been looking for them for quite some time, but can't find them anywhere. Anyways,
LFS employee said that they are getting in some normal Panda Guppies, Males and Females. Are normal Pandas worth it,
or should I just sit tight on the slI'm chance they may get the Dwarf Blues back in?

Thanks
Crimson. :)

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you guys show me one or more pics of what you call dwarf pandas and normal pandas? For I only know one size of panda guppies.
Overhere at my place I do keep and breed three kinds of panda guppies: the normal pandas, blonde platinum pandas and lutino pandas. They're all of the same size.
Panda guppies are short sized because of the pink gene that they carry. They carry both the moscow and the pink gene. A lot of people just don't know that to the pink gene is connected a dwarf grow gene. That's why panda guppies are short sized. There are a lot of people that claI'm some endler influence is in there because of the body size. But they don't carry any endler influences. Just the pink gene is responsible for the small body size.

collagepandaguppy male.jpg

collagepandaguppy female.jpg

OP
CrimsonMoon

CrimsonMoon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
emeraldking said:
Can you guys show me one or more pics of what you call dwarf pandas and normal pandas? For I only know one size of panda guppies.
Overhere at my place I do keep and breed three kinds of panda guppies: the normal pandas, blonde platinum pandas and lutino pandas. They're all of the same size.
Panda guppies are short sized because of the pink gene that they carry. They carry both the moscow and the pink gene. A lot of people just don't know that to the pink gene is connected a dwarf grow gene. That's why panda guppies are short sized. There are a lot of people that claI'm some endler influence is in there because of the body size. But they don't carry any endler influences. Just the pink gene is responsible for the small body size.
I don't have experience with Panda's specifically, so this is just going off of what I saw in my LFS. (I live in Australia btw if that makes any difference). The "Normal" Panda just based on eye judgment seemed slightly larger 0.5 - 1 cm longer, and fatter than the "Dwarf". Again I don't have any experience to make a proper judgment, but that is what the store had. The pics are the most similar to what I saw in store,

1. Black Panda 2. Blue Dwarf Panda

Edit: This is why I was asking too, I wanted to know any difference and pros/cons between the two.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do live in Holland. I breed panda guppies for years now. But as far as I know there's only have one kind of a normal panda in Europe. But when I look at my own stock, there are some smaller and normal sized (although in this case "normal size" is also small). And basically, the first picture you're showing is a male that has got blue as well underneath the black. Not all males will have a good black cover of black on the blue of their body. The blue and black come from the moscow gene they carry. But they also do carry the pink gene (with the dwarf growth gene connected) which comes from the pingu influence. That's why female panda guppies do look pretty similar to the pingu guppy females.
To me is what you call the dwarf panda guppy an unculled version of the normal panda but still the same fish.

If you can combine both versions to answer your question: That shouldn't be a problem.

OP
CrimsonMoon

CrimsonMoon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
emeraldking said:
I do live in Holland. I breed panda guppies for years now. But as far as I know there's only have one kind of a normal panda in Europe. But when I look at my own stock, there are some smaller and normal sized (although in this case "normal size" is also small). And basically, the first picture you're showing is a male that has got blue as well underneath the black. Not all males will have a good black cover of black on the blue of their body. The blue and black come from the moscow gene they carry. But they also do carry the pink gene (with the dwarf growth gene connected) which comes from the pingu influence. That's why female panda guppies do look pretty similar to the pingu guppy females.
To me is what you call the dwarf panda guppy an unculled version of the normal panda but still the same fish.

If you can combine both versions to answer your question: That shouldn't be a problem.
I can't find anything online specifically discussing the difference between the two. If they are indeed the same fish as you've said, is dwarf just an another label to put to the fish, because then they are labelling the same fish two different names, which is honestly a little confusing and a bit scammy. But then again it's possible the LFS themselves might not even know.

Anyway I appricate your insight, thank you for all the information. I think I will buy the Pandas ("normal") but try to find a breeder instead to purchase from.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CrimsonMoon said:
I can't find anything online specifically discussing the difference between the two. If they are indeed the same fish as you've said, is dwarf just an another label to put to the fish, because then they are labelling the same fish two different names, which is honestly a little confusing and a bit scammy. But then again it's possible the LFS themselves might not even know.

Anyway I appricate your insight, thank you for all the information. I think I will buy the Pandas ("normal") but try to find a breeder instead to purchase from.
I really believe the name "dwarf" has been made up by someone. The panda guppy itself does exsist already for many years. Commerciallywise, they sold just the males in the beginning. Later on also females were sold.

These panda males come from the same stock overhere (with the exception of the lutino panda):
panda mix 089.jpg

IMG_6289.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG
IMG_6315.JPG

And here a trio of three different kinds of panda guppies:
panda mix 057.jpg

OP
CrimsonMoon

CrimsonMoon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The online store I sometimes purchase from had Pandas listed as dwarfs too, and the picture looked just like the fish they had listed as just panda guppy so...yeah. You could probably spark a huge discussion on this topic. Probably best to just stick to the keeping and breeding of pandas to avoid confusion :confused: :)

Edit: If you don't mind me asking too, what sort of setup do you have for your pandas?

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CrimsonMoon said:
Edit: If you don't mind me asking too, what sort of setup do you have for your pandas?
Just some basic tanks for them. They don´t really need that much to be comfortable and to make them reproduce.

IMG_1052a.jpg

This is just a part of the tank set up what I´ve got overhere.

OP
CrimsonMoon

CrimsonMoon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
emeraldking said:
Just some basic tanks for them. They don´t really need that much to be comfortable and to make them reproduce.
Awesome. Well thankyou very much. I think I'll like keeping them a lot, and maybe even eventually breed some.
I'll have to make some space though. :D

New Threads