Panda Garra care

kippielynn

I have two panda garra in my goldfish tank but I know nothing about them and am finding a lack of info available. Anyone have tips for these little guys based on personal experince? Feeding is my main concern as my goldfish make it hard to feed them sinking pellets and algae wafers didn’t really work either as they all fought over them. Are there tricks to feeding them with other fish and also amongs themselves? i have two and the bigger one steals the others food.. thanks!

NevermindIgnoreMe

I have two panda garra in my goldfish tank but I know nothing about them and am finding a lack of info available. Anyone have tips for these little guys based on personal experince? Feeding is my main concern as my goldfish make it hard to feed them sinking pellets and algae wafers didn’t really work either as they all fought over them. Are there tricks to feeding them with other fish and also amongs themselves? i have two and the bigger one steals the others food.. thanks!
Goldfish shouldn't really be kept with most other fish species for this and other reasons. I'd rehome one or the other or move to a different tank of possible to make things easier on you. But, for feeding time you can get a strainer, and scoop up the fish underwater and let it be like a floating basket to separate them during feeding time. I hope all goes well with your fish!

Upvote 0

kippielynn

Goldfish shouldn't really be kept with most other fish species for this and other reasons. I'd rehome one or the other or move to a different tank of possible to make things easier on you. But, for feeding time you can get a strainer, and scoop up the fish underwater and let it be like a floating basket to separate them during feeding time. I hope all goes well with your fish!
Thank you! So far they are getting some food. They are pickier eaters than I thought, really don't care for repashy when it is there for the taking so I may try your strainer method. It did give me an idea though too about maybe a mesh or net screen just during feeding times.. I may have to consider this. I would love to rehome them but all I have are betta tanks and I don't think they would work. The tanks have algae thought but currently recouperating bettas thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Tallen78

Thank you! So far they are getting some food. They are pickier eaters than I thought, really don't care for repashy when it is there for the taking so I may try your strainer method. It did give me an idea though too about maybe a mesh or net screen just during feeding times.. I may have to consider this. I would love to rehome them but all I have are betta tanks and I don't think they would work. The tanks have algae thought but currently recouperating bettas thanks for your help!
I happen to have 3 panda garras in a tank with 3 killifish they are quick swimmers but can’t really compete with most fish during feeding mine eat cucumber My killifish really don’t bother with it but the garras normally swarm it seconds after it’s dropped but other types of food I try to lure the killi’s to one side of the tank to feed and place the pellets or wafer for the garras on the other side they eat off the hardscape and glass most of the time and they love bloodworms

Upvote 0

kippielynn

I happen to have 3 panda garras in a tank with 3 killifish they are quick swimmers but can’t really compete with most fish during feeding mine eat cucumber My killifish really don’t bother with it but the garras normally swarm it seconds after it’s dropped but other types of food I try to lure the killi’s to one side of the tank to feed and place the pellets or wafer for the garras on the other side they eat off the hardscape and glass most of the time and they love bloodworms
Thank you, great tip! I didn't knwo about the bloodworms! Will try both. Do you think they would feed the cucumber off a veggie clip? My goldfish don't liek the clip so that may be good for wafer or cucumber

Upvote 0

Tallen78

Thank you, great tip! I didn't knwo about the bloodworms! Will try both. Do you think they would feed the cucumber off a veggie clip? My goldfish don't liek the clip so that may be good for wafer or cucumber
they should I just drop it and they find it so I’m sure they will get at it if u hang don’t forget to peel and boil it first

Upvote 0

kippielynn

they should I just drop it and they find it so I’m sure they will get at it if u hang don’t forget to peel and boil it first

sorry, newb question- never boiled cucumbers.. do I cut into slices then boil or peel and boil whole? thanks!

Upvote 0

Tallen78

sorry, newb question- never boiled cucumbers.. do I cut into slices then boil or peel and boil whole? thanks!
I peel and slice it first I make thick cuts boil them cool them off and drop them dinner time

Upvote 0

kippielynn

Thanks for the suggestions! My guys love bloodworms! They didn’t care for the cucumbers though I stuck some pellets in and everyone went nuts but the panda grass couldn’t get any You mentioned you have 3, I have two but noticed my smaller one is very scared and timid. He actually turns pale yellow a lot and avoids the fish and other panda. Do you think I should move him to another tank and have them solo or even add another? I read 5-6 are the best number as they get pecking orders, but wondering if adding one will fix the dominance issue or make it worse? I worry his pale color is constant stress

Upvote 0

Tallen78

Thanks for the suggestions! My guys love bloodworms! They didn’t care for the cucumbers though I stuck some pellets in and everyone went nuts but the panda grass couldn’t get any You mentioned you have 3, I have two but noticed my smaller one is very scared and timid. He actually turns pale yellow a lot and avoids the fish and other panda. Do you think I should move him to another tank and have them solo or even add another? I read 5-6 are the best number as they get pecking orders, but wondering if adding one will fix the dominance issue or make it worse? I worry his pale color is constant stress
It could be mine are nice and dark with distinct patterns I was told 5-6 also but they are in a 20L with a trio of breeding killifish and about 11 fry so 3 is good they get along well and stay together as a group I think one more will help or situation

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0

kippielynn

mine are not that dark and I am not sure if that is ok or not - I don’t think they were ever that dark. But I may see about adding a third thanks!

Attachments

• 31D7EE8B-3EF2-423C-9890-2737482BC629.jpeg
    31D7EE8B-3EF2-423C-9890-2737482BC629.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0

Tallen78

mine are not that dark and I am not sure if that is ok or not - I don’t think they were ever that dark. But I may see about adding a third thanks!
Lmk of the outcome they are cool little fish

Upvote 0

kippielynn

ok so not finding any local panda garras. May have to order but in terms of bioload. I have 2 now and 3 fancy goldfish in a 75. Will adding 1-2 more panda garras overload my tank in terms of waste? They are small but I don't want to throw off my cycle either Not sure the rules on PG for stocking...

thanks!

Upvote 0

Tallen78

ok so not finding any local panda garras. May have to order but in terms of bioload. I have 2 now and 3 fancy goldfish in a 75. Will adding 1-2 more panda garras overload my tank in terms of waste? They are small but I don't want to throw off my cycle either Not sure the rules on PG for stocking...

thanks!
You will be fine ur bb won’t even know the difference they remove more ammonia sources than they leave

Upvote 0

Tallen78

You will be fine ur bb won’t even know the difference they remove more ammonia sources than they leave
I would have gotten more but mine are in a 20g with 3 adult killifish 11 killifish fry and a common pleco plus 2 million pest snails running on two sponges

Upvote 0

CHJ

I keep looking at the panda garas at the LFS and wishing I had a tank I could put some in. They are adorable.

Upvote 0

kippielynn

ok thanks! I thought they required at least 30g tank so this is all new to me Worst case, I have a 20g I can rehome them to if the additions dont solve my problem. It may be that maybe he needs more food and more water flow than the goldfish tank can give him. thanks. Am I better off adding 1 or 2? I have 2 now - in order to not have one pick on the other.. ?

Upvote 0

Tallen78

ok thanks! I thought they required at least 30g tank so this is all new to me Worst case, I have a 20g I can rehome them to if the additions dont solve my problem. It may be that maybe he needs more food and more water flow than the goldfish tank can give him. thanks. Am I better off adding 1 or 2? I have 2 now - in order to not have one pick on the other.. ?
Like I said I have 3 and if I didn’t already have the pleco in there I would have bought 6

Upvote 0

Tallen78

I keep looking at the panda garas at the LFS and wishing I had a tank I could put some in. They are adorable.
Yeah there cool fish and will eat Just about anything when I feed the killi’s worms or shrimp u gotta see these guys go crazy active quick little fish

Upvote 0

kippielynn

Like I said I have 3 and if I didn’t already have the pleco in there I would have bought 6
ok maybe I start with 3 and see before jumping to 4. I wasn’t sure it even numbers are better or not

Upvote 0

kippielynn

ok maybe I start with 3 and see before jumping to 4. I wasn’t sure it even numbers are better or not
ok I ordered one more but wondering if I need to quarantine it before adding to the current tank. The site says they do 30 day quarantine and medicate if needed but can i trust that? I really worry about putting them in a non cycled tank solo for any period of time. I call my qt tank the death wish as a few fish have died in it, it is round and they can’t see well out of it

Upvote 0

Tallen78

ok I ordered one more but wondering if I need to quarantine it before adding to the current tank. The site says they do 30 day quarantine and medicate if needed but can i trust that? I really worry about putting them in a non cycled tank solo for any period of time. I call my qt tank the death wish as a few fish have died in it, it is round and they can’t see well out of it
My lfs quarantines there fish when they get them in so some go straight in with no issues but if u don’t trust where ur getting them yes quarantine them at least a week or so

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kippielynn
Replies
Views
SixThreeOh
Replies
Views
MissNoodle
  • Question