Panda Death | Page 2

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by brousecasey12, Apr 6, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

brousecasey12Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    Just started

Yeah, he was the last one left out of the bunch but was alive for a good 2 months! I came home and found him laying sideways on the tank

I only took like five gallons out last Sunday but then added 10 gallons bc five evaporated. I plan on taking like 11 gallons out everyday starting tomorrow until nitrates get back to normal. Thoughts?
    I will review what CindL ! And I'll add a cap full to tank after adding water!

2. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah! Out of nowhere! He was fine the night before and I came home the next day to him laying sideways dead! I'm wondering if maybe the gravel may have hurt him or the temp was too high for him. Otherwise, I don't know.

3. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,672
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yes @CindiL definitely can keep you on track. I keep forgetting about your whole water issues. You are on the right track. And if I forget again, just ignore me lol

4. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hey! I have a question! I noticed my fish don't really "swim" around. They just kinda sit and float in place. Is this normal? Is this because I really haven't done any water changes? Also I saw my black neon swimming almost vertical. It seemed strange and am very concerned. Is there a diagnosis of why?

5. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,698
    My Tiger Barbs sleep while headstandig. If you go and see them at 3:00 AM you will see all of them doing it. My Mollys the other hand will hide between the rocks to sleep. All of this is almost like a law when the lights go off but it is not uncommon to see someone taking a nap at the day. I don't know black tetras but he may just be doing the same as tiger barbs.
    Fish can supposedly acclimate to high nitrates (does not mean is good, their life-span is reduced) so I don't know if it is because of water quality.
    Unless they are like that all the time I would not worry.
    If you still want some peace of mind then just post some photos of the fish so we can try and help you out.
    Maybe the odd behavior will stop once we get your nitrates out who knows.

6. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    Just started
    So I did the water change! Let's hope it's good! I took out roughly 11 gallons and added 11 gallons! Then I added a capful of Prime! Here are some pictures of it! 278bb2e6ad1b6278b0c5f61c655b743e.d035615437f93b6b9b22f854f5820d18.a07990fb932300dc69fe1c17b5309171.
    After:
    b2795cfc09c4fbd230c431469c0d3ba8.9d19ffc6dca5662625dc5f4f84bef6e5.2d8ebe7369b5e903dfa662f47f1aa463.7427128c72390e2574faa3261b46cde3.a3d60daa1f61f6244a514fdea2886f26.5e0fce86acdd96603cf5179ba00b6d3b.
    Now when do I test the water???

7. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,698
    I dont have experience with test kits (I dont test my water) but my brain tells me that it would be good to test the water after every water change to see how the nitrates are doing and once you get them under control just test sporadically (maybe once a month, once a week, completely up to you) or if your fish show signs of stress.

8. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    Just started
  9. AllieSten

Ratings:
    +3,672
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would continue on with the daily partial water changes until your nitrates are below 20. You are definitely on the right track. Keep dosing with Prime too. I would expect to have to do the changes at least a few more days. I would do it in this order. Test, water change (with prime) wait 24 hours and repeat. You are sooo close now. I don't know if your Ammonia will ever be totally gone, but good vacuuming will help with that too.

Your tank looks soooo good compared to where you started. How are your fish acting?

Edit: since you did the water change today, I would wait until tomorrow to do your next change.

10. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    Just started
    Would every other day be fine? It's time consuming for me with all the school work I have so it would be better if it wasn't everyday.

So I still add a capful of prime even when I don't do water changes, but only until I get my nitrates under 20?

It's been a long process but I hope it is good! The fish seem okay today! They all ate and swimming around, especially my cherry barbs who usually hide! I hope this is a new start!

11. AllieSten

Ratings:
    +3,672
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would think that would be fine. As long as you dose Prime on the other days too. I have done that before also, when I just don't have time that day to do a water change. Maybe do a 15 gallon change every other day instead of 11 gallons. Might get you there quicker. And since you are giving them a day to adjust in between, they should tolerate it just fine.