Panda Death

1. brousecasey12

brousecasey12 Well Known Member Member

My panda Cory is passing away I think:( He keeps swimming around doing flips and then lays on his side and he looks terrible! All of my other fish look so happy and healthy! I just did a water change last week but it was only like 10 gallons . My tank is 76 degrees, dies that have anything to do with it? Please help !

2. Natalia666

Natalia666 Valued Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

I haven't checked since Sunday but my ammonia and nitrites were good , nitrates were high but that's why I did a water change.

4. Natalia666

Natalia666 Valued Member Member

The nitrates are probably making your fish sick :(
    Stress Zyme is a good product that will help boost your tanks biological filter and get the nitrates out asap. Also, you should continue daily water changes

Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

For the water changes, do I need prime or is there any other product I can use that is essentially the same ? I don't think any pet stores carry it near me and I want to do a water change asap!

6. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

For a 55 gallon tank you need to change more water then just 10 gallons to have a real impact on the nitrate level. Check your nitrates again, if they are over 40ppm I would do a 50% water change.

7. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

I tested my water today and it read:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 40
    [​IMG]
    What should I do?

8. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would do a 50-75% water change. Be sure to dechlorinate for the water volume you are replacing and not the full tank volume. Any brand is ok to use. Lots of us use Prime because it works with Ammonia spikes to neutralize the toxic effect. But you just need to treat the chlorinated water, so any brand is fine.

The goal is to keep your nitrates between 5-20. So a 50% change will drop them to 20, and a 75% will drop to 10. You shouldn't need to do anything else until the next time you need to test.

9. adsm08

adsm08 Valued Member Member

A 50% water change.

10. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Test your tap water for nitrates.
    Nitrates should be fine if they are kept below 40. What is your stocking? Are you doing your weekly water changes? Usually overstocking can make nitrates build up pretty quickly.

11. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

Okay so put the dechlorinator in the water that is going into the tank , not the actual tank itself?
    I'm just scared to do any water change because my fish have been living without water changes and am scared they're all going to just die.

12. max h

If you use a water change system like a Python just dose the whole tank for the volume of the tank with a dechlorinator. If you are using a bucket brigade dose each bucket.

13. BeanFish

If you haven't done a water change in ages you are gonna kill them if you give them good water quality out of nowhere.
    I would suggest you do 20% water changes daily for 5 days. That will get the nitrates slowly enough for the fish not to be in shock.

14. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

I just got prime at petco and ready for the water change! Should I put the water into the bucket and let it sit overnight or should I get water in bucket and then immediately add it?

15. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

When you are using Prime, you don't need to let the water sit overnight.

16. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

So how many capfuls do i put one capful in to my 55 after I do a 20% water change? Sorry for all these questions, I don't want to screw up !

17. max h

If you're only doing 20% or roughly 10 gallons you need 2 ml's of prime or up to the 2nd thread on the cap. 1 capful is 5 ml's.

18. BeanFish

If you do it with buckets then just treat for the water in the bucket, if you use a python or something like that dose for the entire tank volume.
    I use a syringe for all of that stuff, measuring meds, measuring conditioner, measuring ferts etc... I find it useful.

19. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Oh, brousecasey! I'm sorry about your panda! :( Is this your first water change for you tank? Go back to that thread that CindL helped you on! She gave some good advice to you since you dealing with old aquarium syndrome. I would treat the whole tank volume with your Prime, just one cap full. I know that you said that you are adding water from your well and it has some bad stuff in it; just do one cap full of Prime when you add your new clean water in.

20. BeanFish

Did the Panda die? I once was talking with a guy at a LFS and out of nowhere one of his corydoras in a display tank went nuts, doing loops around and swimming like crazy, I dont know what caused it but the fish is still alive.