Panda Death

brousecasey12

My panda Cory is passing away I think He keeps swimming around doing flips and then lays on his side and he looks terrible! All of my other fish look so happy and healthy! I just did a water change last week but it was only like 10 gallons . My tank is 76 degrees, dies that have anything to do with it? Please help !

Natalia666

Does your tank have nitrites/nitrates/ammonia? If so, that could be the cause

Sorry about your panda

brousecasey12

Natalia666 said:
Does your tank have nitrites/nitrates/ammonia? If so, that could be the cause

Sorry about your panda
I haven't checked since Sunday but my ammonia and nitrites were good , nitrates were high but that's why I did a water change.
Thanks

Natalia666

The nitrates are probably making your fish sick
Stress Zyme is a good product that will help boost your tanks biological filter and get the nitrates out asap. Also, you should continue daily water changes

Good luck!

brousecasey12

For the water changes, do I need prime or is there any other product I can use that is essentially the same ? I don't think any pet stores carry it near me and I want to do a water change asap!

max h

For a 55 gallon tank you need to change more water then just 10 gallons to have a real impact on the nitrate level. Check your nitrates again, if they are over 40ppm I would do a 50% water change.

brousecasey12

I tested my water today and it read:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 40

063b209d614c7b10d2b058de01cb866d.jpg

What should I do?

AllieSten

brousecasey12 said:

What should I do?
I would do a 50-75% water change. Be sure to dechlorinate for the water volume you are replacing and not the full tank volume. Any brand is ok to use. Lots of us use Prime because it works with Ammonia spikes to neutralize the toxic effect. But you just need to treat the chlorinated water, so any brand is fine.

The goal is to keep your nitrates between 5-20. So a 50% change will drop them to 20, and a 75% will drop to 10. You shouldn't need to do anything else until the next time you need to test.

adsm08

brousecasey12 said:

What should I do?
A 50% water change.

BeanFish

Test your tap water for nitrates.
Nitrates should be fine if they are kept below 40. What is your stocking? Are you doing your weekly water changes? Usually overstocking can make nitrates build up pretty quickly.

brousecasey12

Okay so put the dechlorinator in the water that is going into the tank , not the actual tank itself?
I'm just scared to do any water change because my fish have been living without water changes and am scared they're all going to just die.

max h

brousecasey12 said:
Okay so put the dechlorinator in the water that is going into the tank , not the actual tank itself?
I'm just scared to do any water change because my fish have been living without water changes and am scared they're all going to just die.
If you use a water change system like a Python just dose the whole tank for the volume of the tank with a dechlorinator. If you are using a bucket brigade dose each bucket.

BeanFish

If you haven't done a water change in ages you are gonna kill them if you give them good water quality out of nowhere.
I would suggest you do 20% water changes daily for 5 days. That will get the nitrates slowly enough for the fish not to be in shock.

brousecasey12

I just got prime at petco and ready for the water change! Should I put the water into the bucket and let it sit overnight or should I get water in bucket and then immediately add it?

Betrayer

brousecasey12 said:
I just got prime at petco and ready for the water change! Should I put the water into the bucket and let it sit overnight or should I get water in bucket and then immediately add it?
When you are using Prime, you don't need to let the water sit overnight.

brousecasey12

EJ_Fresh said:
When you are using Prime, you don't need to let the water sit overnight.
So how many capfuls do I put one capful in to my 55 after I do a 20% water change? Sorry for all these questions, I don't want to screw up !

max h

If you're only doing 20% or roughly 10 gallons you need 2 ml's of prime or up to the 2nd thread on the cap. 1 capful is 5 ml's.

BeanFish

If you do it with buckets then just treat for the water in the bucket, if you use a python or something like that dose for the entire tank volume.
I use a syringe for all of that stuff, measuring meds, measuring conditioner, measuring ferts etc... I find it useful.

RedLoredAmazon

Oh, brousecasey! I'm sorry about your panda! Is this your first water change for you tank? Go back to that thread that CindL helped you on! She gave some good advice to you since you dealing with old aquarium syndrome. I would treat the whole tank volume with your Prime, just one cap full. I know that you said that you are adding water from your well and it has some bad stuff in it; just do one cap full of Prime when you add your new clean water in.

BeanFish

Did the Panda die? I once was talking with a guy at a LFS and out of nowhere one of his corydoras in a display tank went nuts, doing loops around and swimming like crazy, I don't know what caused it but the fish is still alive.

brousecasey12

RedLoredAmazon said:
Oh, brousecasey! I'm sorry about your panda! Is this your first water change for you tank? Go back to that thread that CindL helped you on! She gave some good advice to you since you dealing with old aquarium syndrome. I would treat the whole tank volume with your Prime, just one cap full. I know that you said that you are adding water from your well and it has some bad stuff in it; just do one cap full of Prime when you add your new clean water in.

Yeah, he was the last one left out of the bunch but was alive for a good 2 months! I came home and found him laying sideways on the tank

I only took like five gallons out last Sunday but then added 10 gallons bc five evaporated. I plan on taking like 11 gallons out everyday starting tomorrow until nitrates get back to normal. Thoughts?
I will review what CindL ! And I'll add a cap full to tank after adding water!

brousecasey12

BeanFish said:
Did the Panda die? I once was talking with a guy at a LFS and out of nowhere one of his corydoras in a display tank went nuts, doing loops around and swimming like crazy, I don't know what caused it but the fish is still alive.
Yeah! Out of nowhere! He was fine the night before and I came home the next day to him laying sideways dead! I'm wondering if maybe the gravel may have hurt him or the temp was too high for him. Otherwise, I don't know.

AllieSten

Yes CindiL definitely can keep you on track. I keep forgetting about your whole water issues. You are on the right track. And if I forget again, just ignore me lol

brousecasey12

Hey! I have a question! I noticed my fish don't really "swim" around. They just kinda sit and float in place. Is this normal? Is this because I really haven't done any water changes? Also I saw my black neon swimming almost vertical. It seemed strange and am very concerned. Is there a diagnosis of why?

BeanFish

My Tiger Barbs sleep while headstandig. If you go and see them at 3:00 AM you will see all of them doing it. My Mollys the other hand will hide between the rocks to sleep. All of this is almost like a law when the lights go off but it is not uncommon to see someone taking a nap at the day. I don't know black tetras but he may just be doing the same as tiger barbs.
Fish can supposedly acclimate to high nitrates (does not mean is good, their life-span is reduced) so I don't know if it is because of water quality.
Unless they are like that all the time I would not worry.
If you still want some peace of mind then just post some photos of the fish so we can try and help you out.
Maybe the odd behavior will stop once we get your nitrates out who knows.

brousecasey12

So I did the water change! Let's hope it's good! I took out roughly 11 gallons and added 11 gallons! Then I added a capful of Prime! Here are some pictures of it!
278bb2e6ad1b6278b0c5f61c655b743e.jpg

d035615437f93b6b9b22f854f5820d18.jpg

a07990fb932300dc69fe1c17b5309171.jpg

After:

b2795cfc09c4fbd230c431469c0d3ba8.jpg

9d19ffc6dca5662625dc5f4f84bef6e5.jpg

2d8ebe7369b5e903dfa662f47f1aa463.jpg

7427128c72390e2574faa3261b46cde3.jpg

a3d60daa1f61f6244a514fdea2886f26.jpg

5e0fce86acdd96603cf5179ba00b6d3b.jpg

Now when do I test the water???

BeanFish

I don't have experience with test kits (I don't test my water) but my brain tells me that it would be good to test the water after every water change to see how the nitrates are doing and once you get them under control just test sporadically (maybe once a month, once a week, completely up to you) or if your fish show signs of stress.

brousecasey12

Okay everyone, here is the water:
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40

2cc93b6c4ff529b423e99ff820b6850c.jpg

What's next?!

AllieSten

I would continue on with the daily partial water changes until your nitrates are below 20. You are definitely on the right track. Keep dosing with Prime too. I would expect to have to do the changes at least a few more days. I would do it in this order. Test, water change (with prime) wait 24 hours and repeat. You are so close now. I don't know if your Ammonia will ever be totally gone, but good vacuuming will help with that too.

Your tank looks soooo good compared to where you started. How are your fish acting?

Edit: since you did the water change today, I would wait until tomorrow to do your next change.

brousecasey12

AllieSten said:
I would continue on with the daily partial water changes until your nitrates are below 20. You are definitely on the right track. Keep dosing with Prime too. I would expect to have to do the changes at least a few more days. I would do it in this order. Test, water change (with prime) wait 24 hours and repeat. You are so close now. I don't know if your Ammonia will ever be totally gone, but good vacuuming will help with that too.

Your tank looks soooo good compared to where you started. How are your fish acting?

Edit: since you did the water change today, I would wait until tomorrow to do your next change.
Would every other day be fine? It's time consuming for me with all the school work I have so it would be better if it wasn't everyday.

So I still add a capful of prime even when I don't do water changes, but only until I get my nitrates under 20?

It's been a long process but I hope it is good! The fish seem okay today! They all ate and swimming around, especially my cherry barbs who usually hide! I hope this is a new start!

AllieSten

brousecasey12 said:
Would every other day be fine? It's time consuming for me with all the school work I have so it would be better if it wasn't everyday.

So I still add a capful of prime even when I don't do water changes, but only until I get my nitrates under 20?

It's been a long process but I hope it is good! The fish seem okay today! They all ate and swimming around, especially my cherry barbs who usually hide! I hope this is a new start!
I would think that would be fine. As long as you dose Prime on the other days too. I have done that before also, when I just don't have time that day to do a water change. Maybe do a 15 gallon change every other day instead of 11 gallons. Might get you there quicker. And since you are giving them a day to adjust in between, they should tolerate it just fine.

Top Bottom