Panda Corys

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by EndGame, Apr 22, 2017.

1. EndGame

EndGameValued MemberMember

So I added 8 panda corys to the tank tuesday. They were very active for the first couple days. Now they seem to go in spurts. I found one last night that I thought was dying. I've been doing a 30% water change once a week. I went ahead and did one last night which would have been the 5th day because I was concerned. The water tested what I would think (maybe) would be decent.

pH 7.6
    Ammonia .25ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 5ppm

I attached a pic of a couple chillin on a rock, and a close up of one that made me worry. However I don't know if it was the same one or just how they act.
    845b7218de6ba8df2b48bc7f3e13c06c.jpg
    844982c30306b34d8effc08ff3e7abcf.jpg

Does this sound normal?

Its a 55 gallon with 7 young rainbows.

Any advice on feeding would be appreciated as well. I've seen so many different opinions all over the spectrum.

2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Looks like you're currently in the middle of cycling. I would up the water changes to 50% if possible. Are you dosing any conditioners or bottled bacteria?

What is the temperature of the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    EndGame

I had completed a fishless cycle over 8 weeks. I may have introduced the pandas too soon after the rainbows. It was about a week and a half apart. I use Prime when doing the water changes. Water temp steady at 75.

Would you up the frequency of the changes?

4. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Frequency is fine, just increase the percentage. You're probably just hitting a mini cycle from introducing a lot of fish quickly.

How did you acclimate the corys?

5. OP
    OP
    EndGame

Soaked the bag for 15 min.......then every 10 min after that switched out a cup of the bag water for a cup of tank water for a total of 3 water switches in the bag releasing them afterward.

45 min process from start to finish.

How about the feeding?
    The girl at the store said 4 sinking shrimp pellets 2 times a week. That seems way short.
    Then I've read as much as 1 pellet per fish twice a day which seems way excessive.

I feed the rainbows flakes and mini pellets every other day with just a few freeze dried shrimp on the off days.

6. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I feed my corys once a day. A pinch of flakes that I let sink to the substrate so they can forage, or a few crushed bottom feeder/sinking shrimp pellets (whole ones are too big for cory's mouths and tend to be snapped up by the dwarf gourami and tetras).

7. OP
    OP
    EndGame

Kind of wondered about those pellets. Wasn't sure if they softened enough over time or what......crushing sounds like a good idea.

I doubt the flakes would ever make it as the rainbows are like vacuum cleaners.

8. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Your rainbows would likely hoover up the pellets long before they got soft enough for the corys to eat.

I don't sprinkle my flakes on the surface. I release them into the water column so everyone gets a fair share.

9. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

My pandas (25 of them now) are active in spurts and most active at night. If they're stressed or in poor water they will lose their barbels. The gravel will make them lose their barbs quicker. I would add sand to the substrate.. they really prefer soft almost mudlike bottoms. Originally my school was in a gravel bottom and 3 of the original school lost their barbs.. when I added more to their school I switched them to a cooler water aquarium with a mix of flourite and sand and they're doing great now.

10. OP
    OP
    EndGame

Yeah.....I tried to pick a happy medium. I actually got rid of regular size gravel and when with the Nat Geo....its about half the size. The bag actually says sand.....which obviously its not that fine.

Wow....25.....nice.

Would you mind sharing your feeding tips? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  11. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

I always feed my cories at night when the lights are out. They get some food that my other fish miss, but their main feeding occurs once the others have settled down for the night. My praecox rainbows are pigs!

12. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

I feed a varied diet of fresh spirulina, cucumber, swiss chard, shrimp pellets, and tubifex worms. They're in a large community aquarium and I'm sure they munch on the flake and other food as well. I rotate foods on different days and I only feed once a day. Veggie days (cucumber,chard, etc) they get fed twice. Usually I feed midday but depending on work schedule they will get fed close to sunset

I do feed quite sparingly. I drop a little in at time until there's not much interest in the new food to avoid overfeeding

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice