Panda Corys

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Maxi1, Apr 15, 2017.

1. M

Maxi1 Valued Member Member

I need help on whether I can keep panda cory cats. I have read here they need cooler temps than some and a lower pH too. But looking them up it says temp. Range is up to 77 and pH up to 7.5. I don't want to chance it if my tank is not right for them. Thanks.

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    What tank size do you have? I would recommend at least a 25 gallon for a shoal of 6.

Panda Cories prefer and will thrive better in colder water. IMO anything above 74 degrees Is too warm for them.
    A tempreture of 70-74 will do fine. They can live in PH ranges from 6-8.

They only grow up to 1.5 inches but need a decent amount of room because they like to swim around the tank in shoals. Like all Cories, they are preferred to be kept in at least groups of 6.

3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Can't agree.

Keep the tank between 72 and 76 and they'll thrive. Even at your preset heater level of 78 they'll do very well.

Way too much emphasis on temperature range on the forum for a species long out of the wild.

Minimum 20 gallon tank, sand substrate is a necessity.

As long as you're not keeping the temp above 78 you'll have a happy shoal of fish.

4. Ed204

I've had a batch of Panda Cories back in the day and kept the tank at 70-72 degrees, they did very well.

When I kept Panda Cories in tempretures of 74 degrees above they didn't do so well. It's either that the other batch was better or they don't do well at 74 degrees above

5. MikeRad89

I have them in a community at 78 right now and I flush eggs once a week.

6. Ed204

I guess we all have our own opinions based on our experiences.

7. OP
    OP
    M

Yes, thanks everyone. My tank is a 55 g with sand. I'm like some of you, had them a few years ago and they did not do well but they didn't do well in the store either. It was so bad the store doesn't stock them at all. I saw Wet spot has them so I thought I might try them again from a different source. Been 5 years or so. I have an angel, pearl gourami and kuhli loaches. What is the safest temp. you think I could keep all those at? Oh and cardinals. I keep my tank at 78, could I move it to 76? Thanks.

Edit: I may go 76 or 77 and try them again! Oh and one more question. You guys think i have enough room for Cory cats with 8 kuhli loaches? Will they all get enough to eat? I was waiting for the kuhli loaches to pass but they are rocking along well, lol. Had them a few years, I know they can live a long time.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. MikeRad89

Yes we do.

Nothing against your opinion at all. You have very old school approach to care from what I've seen of you and I think there's more good in that viewpoint than bad.

I just think that we have to understand that these species are no longer the species we caught years and years ago.

People on this forum tend to have an unrealistic approach to fish keeping. Sort of a wolf versus dog mentality.

Somebody wants to keep a Labrador and people tell them they need to live in packs and hunt deer. It's just not the case these days.

The prolific nature of tropical fish and the adaptability they have is second to none. What we buy at the LFS is barely representative of a particular species nowadays.

If you're taking in wild caught specimens, you better know your stuff, but if you're buying fish from the store - keep your nitrates down and your temp in the 70s and you'll have yourself a happy fish.

9. OP
    OP
    M

Thank you MikeRad89. I guess I am old school, lol. Been at this several years and learned much early on. Realized recently I can't help people cycle their tanks since Stability and such came along.

Thanks.

10. Ed204

Is there any other fish that you have in mind to put in the 55 gal?

11. OP
    OP
    M

I'm down to 8 Cardinal tetras, planning on getting 10 more. Maybe one more pearl gourami. Why?

12. Ed204

Just asking to make sure.
    Whats in your tank at the moment?
    The Panda Cories, Gourami and Cardinals are temp compatible so that should be good.

13. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

Whats in your tank at the moment? What you wanna get seems fine.

14. Ed204

Depends, what's currently in the tank at the moment?

15. Arades

I meant what your getting get along with eachother bur it depends on what you have in the tank! Were you asking that question to the OP? Lol

16. OP
    OP
    M

3 pearls, 8 kuhli loaches, 8 cardinals 1 angel and some nerite snails in my tank at the moment.

It looks kind of empty.

17. Arades

Well then i think it should be ok.

18. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks!

19. Ed204

What are the dimensions of the tank?
    I think adding another Pearl Gourami would be too much.

A little bit of both, if that makes sense

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  20. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Your angel needs warmer temps, 78-80, where the pandas need cooler temps, like stated above. Everyone else has a broader temperature range. Here is the temps per seriouslyfish

Angelfish 76-82
    Cardinal tetra 68-84
    Kuhlis 68-78
    Pandas 72-77*
    Pearls 75-86

Many on this site experienced with pandas say they need cooler temps than even seriouslyfish or planetcatfish states, below 74, even below 72. Planet catfish lists them from 71-77.

I personally would not keep the two together for temperature reasons. Both the angel and the cories would have to be kept in the extreme of their ranges, but the choice is yours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice