Panda Corys With Betta/harlequin Rasboras?

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really don't mean to upset the status quo here, but I do have a few questions.

I've been looking into putting some panda cory in my betta/harlequin tank, and hopefully one day upgrading to a bigger tank for bigger schools.

My question does have to do with temperature.

Planet Catfish says they can go up to 77F.
Other sites say 72F.

I've also read that wild ones need cooler temps than tank bred ones basically due to adaptation/evolution.

My tank stays at roughly 77-78F.

Should I even consider this any further?

Also, I've read that the long fin pandas can handle warmer waters. Since they are longer do you stock less or the same since it's basically just extra fin? Where to find them too? I looked on Aquabid and a couple other, but shipping alone was like $35-$45.

Really need some advice.

Tyler Fishman

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Honestly I if I were you I would not get Pandas, I'd recommend SterbaI Cories instead. I don't think they would thrive in anything higher than 76 degrees.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd wait till you upgrade the tank. Corydoras are very active fish, especially at night as they are nocturnal. I've noticed that as my bettas are settling down for the night after lights out, the cory cats start coming alive and sometimes they bump into the bettas and the poor girls get a fright as they dash away. A larger tank would be better for them, as a 10gal is far too small for active fish. I keep my bettas and corries in a 20long, and it still seems too small.

As for numbers, get as many as can comfortably fit in the tank. So like a 20 long, 6-8 would be good. In a 29 I would shoot for 8-12 depending on open space for them to swim, as they like to swim w/o having to go over obstacles.

Temperature wise, you should find a species of cory that fits the temp of the fish you plan to keep them with. It will be better in the long run. I personally adore Jullies, who's temp range is 73-78.8 according to planetcatfish. Alas I am stuck with bronze and peppered corys as that is what I got long ago (they are my oldest fish, gotta be 5+ years).

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can also get bronze! fyi, like demeter said get as many as you can. They are so much more fun when you have more then the minimum schooling size.

OP
JLeeM

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tyler Fishman said:
Honestly I if I were you I would not get Pandas, I'd recommend SterbaI Cories instead. I don't think they would thrive in anything higher than 76 degrees.
Could I adjust my temp to 75-76F and be okay?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Demeter said:
I'd wait till you upgrade the tank. Corydoras are very active fish, especially at night as they are nocturnal. I've noticed that as my bettas are settling down for the night after lights out, the cory cats start coming alive and sometimes they bump into the bettas and the poor girls get a fright as they dash away. A larger tank would be better for them, as a 10gal is far too small for active fish. I keep my bettas and corries in a 20long, and it still seems too small.

As for numbers, get as many as can comfortably fit in the tank. So like a 20 long, 6-8 would be good. In a 29 I would shoot for 8-12 depending on open space for them to swim, as they like to swim w/o having to go over obstacles.

Temperature wise, you should find a species of cory that fits the temp of the fish you plan to keep them with. It will be better in the long run. I personally adore Jullies, who's temp range is 73-78.8 according to planetcatfish. Alas I am stuck with bronze and peppered corys as that is what I got long ago (they are my oldest fish, gotta be 5+ years).
JuliI what in fact will be trilineatus and peppers both like cooler water.
5+ is still young, as those Corys can get 25+ when kept in the right circumstances (not these temps for the mentioned ones).
Bronze, sterbaI etc are the ones to go for . But indeed a 10G is to small for almost all species (in my opinion even for the dwarfs).

OP
JLeeM

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anders247 said:
By long fin pandas are you talking about C. oiapoquensis?
Normal panda cories need it under 75 Fahrenheit long term.
I think that's them. They're also called flag tailed? I think.

OP
JLeeM

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anders247 said:
Yes, flag-tailed panda cories are OK in higher temps.
Know anyone that has more reasonable shipping that has them?

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't do 75-76F with the betta. And I have 10 cories in a 30" tank and it still feels too small. Just my $.02.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I 10 corys in a 20 long as well - 30 inches and they are so stinking active and it feels too small.

I would wait until you get a bigger tank imo. Corys are just too active for a 10.

sapphire

Reaction score
food for thought, if you are putting a betta and cories together I assume you are getting the cories young (aka small) so they will take some time to grow up...yes they are much more active at night when your betta has a rem cycle, put a glass mason jar in the tank for the betta and leave a air bubble in the jar and the betta will sleep in the jar at night in peace away from the houligans partying in the jungle...

personally I wouldnt put a betta at 75 and I wouldnt put 10 cories in a 10g...unless I was growing them up a bit to transfer them

New Threads