Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This time there are 4 teeny babies...
Verne (as in Jules Verne)
Sebastian
Trench (after the Mariana Trench)
and Tamatoa

I still have zero intention of breeding any of my fish, but when I eventually add these to the tank the group would consist of 7 born in the tank vs the 5 from the pet store who are spawning.
(Yup, all 3 of my first collection of fry survived!!)
I do want to ask if there is anything I should be aware of with the new ratio in the tank, like interbreeding problems.

I have 6 Peppered Corys in a second tank that I could put these 4 with if necessary, but I didn't really want to do that because I've read that Pandas are able to crossbreed and I'm not sure about having hybrids.

Any advice please?

I have included a pic of the largest one; Verne. Its fins are already going dark, but its still tiny - around half an inch. Sorry for the dirty tank making it hard to see, but it's only on the outside and I will be cleaning it off in the morningo_O.
Screenshot_2019-08-29-19-23-16.png
Hopefully some more pictures soon! Where you can see the babies better XD

Latrell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most people would understand me but I am a big fan of hybrids unless ur careful with them and don't mislabel them as purebred which can ruin the effects of people taking many years to get a desired breed just for it to get In pure bc of careless crossing....I have a few hybrid guppy endless it I make sure I tell people they are hybrids...etc......so i say u can cross the Cory if ur very careful with the offsprings and somehow need to rehome them.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I doubt Peppered and Pandas will crossbreed (don't recall any cases).
Why can't they stay with their parents ?

8wolff

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Latrell said:
Most people would understand me but I am a big fan of hybrids unless ur careful with them and don't mislabel them as purebred which can ruin the effects of people taking many years to get a desired breed just for it to get In pure bc of careless crossing....I have a few hybrid guppy endless it I make sure I tell people they are hybrids...etc......so i say u can cross the Cory if ur very careful with the offsprings and somehow need to rehome them.

I'm honestly not really against having hybrids unless there are problems that come with them that would decrease their quality of life, like health problems or something.
I have no plans for breeding them or selling them either, so no worries there.
I don't really know all that much about Corys, which is why I was wondering about it.
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

8wolff

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:
I doubt Peppered and Pandas will crossbreed (don't recall any cases).
Why can't they stay with their parents ?
It's all good then.
The plan is actually to put them back in with their parents.

I was concerned about the possibility of inbreeding because the tank would have more Pandas that were bred there than ones that weren't.
I am still reasonably new to caring for Corys, and have only had them for around a year now so I still have a lot to learn.
I know that inbreeding can cause health problems in animals, take for example dogs or cats. So I was wondering if I needed to be aware of this with regards to the fish as well, or if it wasn't going to be an issue.
I want my fish to have long, happy and healthy lives after all

Thank you for replying to my post!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom