Panda Corydoras Behavious

Celestialgirl
I have 7 little Pandas that are new and have been in QT for a month. I have one that doesn’t move when I’m around.

It is a bare tank - a plastic tub, bare bottom, one fake plant, one handful of Java Moss. Water is 0/0/0. I do water changes very two days and am running an ammonia remover.

I’m used to Sterbais that move all the time.. the Pandas seem much quieter. Do you think this is a result of the environment, because they’re still small or should I keep them in QT longer? My other tank is finally cycled so I’d like to add them in the next few days if safe.

NLindsey921
I am by far no expert. I just got my pandas a few days ago but I have noticed when they are startled they stop moving for a minute.

bgclarke
I have five panda cories in my 20 high.

Most of the time they are moving about the aquarium, playing in the floating plants, checking out the swords, or swimming through the castle.

Occasionally they'll stop on the bottom for a bit, but then go off touring again.

It could simply be the current environment.

TexasDomer
I agree, I think it's just the environment - a lack of decor and substrate. If they've been in QT for a month, I'd go ahead and move them over if they seem healthy.

Celestialgirl
hmmm I just found one dead Cory tonight. Of course, right? i'm not sure what happened.

bgclarke
Sorry to hear. Can you tell if it was the one that doesn't move when you're near?

Celestialgirl
Nope. The quietest one is also the largest one. The one that died is different.

Punkin
Sorry to hear that

DoubleDutch
Sorry to hear

TexasDomer
What are you feeding them?

Mr Clown Loach
My pandas don’t move a lot they hang by the bottom a lot had them for a while

Celestialgirl
What are you feeding them?

Maybe I’m not feeding enough (that would be horrible)? In the tank I have 8(now 7) Pandas, 8 Neons, 5 Vin rio Tetras and 3 Red shrimp. The Pandas are really young (all fish are small). I’m feeding either flakes or pellets for the Tetras, then give about 3-4 HikarI Shrimp pellets or 4 shrimp pellets (can’t think of the brand ATM). It’s tough to know if that’s enough because the Vin Rios spazz out whenever I’m near. I can’t really judge how much they eat in a minute or two.

Celestialgirl
My pandas don’t move a lot they hang by the bottom a lot had them for a while
Just curious, how many do you have? I know with my Sterbais I started with 6 but one died right away. They were incredibly active until another died. Once I had 4 they were like a different breed!

TexasDomer
It doesn't sound like you're underfeeding them. For cories and similar cats, I don't go by what they can eat in a minute, as they can be slow eaters (and they like to sift and browse through the substrate).

Celestialgirl
When they’re full grown, is one pellet her fish correct (HikarI Shrimp - they’re maybe half the size of my pinky nail)?

TexasDomer
You could try that and see if you have any leftover food in the morning or overfed fish - if you have either one of these, you could cut it down.

Celestialgirl
Thanks!

Swampgorilla
My Panda's hide during the daytime. They only come out at night or when I put food in the tank. Due to spawnings ... I now have about 30 in two different tanks.

I find my Panda's are VERY spooked by anyone approaching the tank. This goes for the adults ... as well as the fry I'm growing out.

They are MUCH more adaptable than most people say. I raise mine in 8.2 ph water and they are spawning almost constantly. But I find they don't like NITRATES ... so I always keep those less than 10ppm and usually less than 5.

My adults get 6 HikarI sinking pellets per day / per 10 cory's. I usually give those out in three feedings of 2 pellets per 10 cory's.

Celestialgirl
My Panda's hide during the daytime. They only come out at night or when I put food in the tank. Due to spawnings ... I now have about 30 in two different tanks.

I find my Panda's are VERY spooked by anyone approaching the tank. This goes for the adults ... as well as the fry I'm growing out.

They are MUCH more adaptable than most people say. I raise mine in 8.2 ph water and they are spawning almost constantly. But I find they don't like NITRATES ... so I always keep those less than 10ppm and usually less than 5.

My adults get 6 HikarI sinking pellets per day / per 10 cory's. I usually give those out in three feedings of 2 pellets per 10 cory's.

I have noticed when I leave the tank area 3 sure zoom all over the place. Hopefully they’ll get used to me a little more. Corys are such a joy to watch!

Thanks for the feeding tip!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
  • Question
Replies
Views
ElizabethC
Top Bottom