Panda corydora deaths

2ManyFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI All,

I have recently lost a considerable amount of panda corydoras to an unknown disease/illness.

All corys will seem fine one day, then the next day one of them could be dead looking like the attached.

Anyone know what it could be? Its in my small breeder that ive never been able to cycle, and don't have much experience with diseases etc, but they act totally normal until they just die with these markings.

Attachments

Benji5050

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with Katie52842
It is most probably because you weren’t able to cycle the breeder. And I noticed you said it’s small. Remember: the smaller the tank the more concentrated the ammonia is going to be thus meaning you wil have to do more regular water changes and more intense maintenance. A larger tank would be much easier as the ammonia concentration would take longer to build up.
How many liters/gallons is your breeder?

OP
2ManyFish

2ManyFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Haven’t done a water change for 6 days, and this is the reading... ammonia is fine. I’ve just never been able to cycle it fully to get the nitrates down I meant, even though I have lots of moss (Only have 4 pandas in this breeder).

Benji5050 said:
How many liters/gallons is your breeder?
They’re only in one of my 25L breeders atm, pic attached.

Attachments

OP
2ManyFish

2ManyFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve had the cories for 3/5 months. They’re dying in both tanks, and both tanks have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0-10 nitrate, temps are 24.5 in my 520L display and 25/22 in the breeder depending on if they’re egg bound or not

vyrille

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
2ManyFish said:
I’ve had the cories for 3/5 months. They’re dying in both tanks, and both tanks have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0-10 nitrate, temps are 24.5 in my 520L display and 25/22 in the breeder depending on if they’re egg bound or not
Are the cories the only fish in these tanks? How far apart are the deaths (in hrs/days/etc.)? Do they exhibit the same red patches prior passing away or only when you find the bodies?

OP
2ManyFish

2ManyFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The breeder only has cories, but my display has guppies, plecs, gouramis, swordtails etc. I’ve never noticed it prior to death. They’re not dying very often, perhaps one every week or two.

another died this morning from my display with no visible signs of injury and only a tiny, pinprick size red dot in the same location

vyrille

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
2ManyFish said:
The breeder only has cories, but my display has guppies, plecs, gouramis, swordtails etc. I’ve never noticed it prior to death. They’re not dying very often, perhaps one every week or two.

another died this morning from my display with no visible signs of injury and only a tiny, pinprick size red dot in the same location
To be honest I don't have any certainty what's causing the deaths. The red splotches indicate internal damage though, the most common are ammonia poisoning (already mentioned) and physical damage. But you said you never really had an ammonia spike higher than 1ppm, and physical damage in an (almost bare) breeder tank with only cories seem unlikely. The other, but less common, cause is hemorrhagic septicemia, this can either be viral or bacterial. The mechanisms and etiopathologies for both are still currently under study, but if it only affects cories, it's more likely to be viral, and thus, untreatable. I am still not sure though, and only working my ideas deductively..

New Threads