?

what should I do?

1. Buy the expensive Panda corys

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Order the panda corys and wait the 3 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. get other types of cory catfish for him to school with.

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. e

elizabeth nettleton New Member Member

So I recentaly stumbeled across a small panda cory. My mothers friend didn't realize that she had to get a tank, filter, heater, etc. I guess her plan was to just put in in a fish bowl and leave in on the counter for when her grandson came over. She told me if I wanted him he was mine otherwise she was just going to flush him down the toilet. I ended up taking the panda cory cause I didn't have the heart to see him get flushed and I had an old 30 gallon tank and heater in my basement that wasn't in use at the time. I figured what was the harm and that I would put him in the tank for a few hours while I ran to the pet store and pick up a some live plants, substrate, and water conditioner. I also realised my old 40 gallon filter wasn't working so I was going to have to buy a new one. I am a sophmore in highschool and most of the money I make, working part time, goes to my two dogs (I really need to stop taking in strays). I knew when I first took the panda cory that I would have to spend a bit on his new aquarium, but I wasent expexting is would be this big of a project. But hey what can you do. After doing some reaserch, I learned that panda corys need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, so I planned to get 6 or so more. I set up his tank and he is doing ok. Now that I'm attatched to this little guy, I have been looking at pet stores and can't seem to find any panda corys exept for this one high end place that is charging $34 for each and from what i've red on line, the panda corys are normaly go for around 5-10 dollars each. I found one store that could order them but the owner said it would be almost 3 months before they would arive and then I would have to quarantine them for 2 more weeks. I am torn, $34 each for the panda corys that are avaleble now is a bit out of my price range.That being said, my panda cory dosen't seem to happy as of now, so I'm worried that the 3 month wait would be to long. I did find some albino and Sterba corys the same size as my panda cory. I could pick them up right away. Would those types of corys be ok to group the panda cory with, and would he be just as happy with the other types of corys or is it best he be kept in groups with other panda corys. If I have to fork out the money for the expensive panda corys that I can get right away, I'm ok with that if thats what is best for him. I just want to make sure that it is necesary to get the panda corys for him, rather than the other types of corys. The only experience I have with fish is with my cichlid tank and by betta so I feel a bit out of my element with catfish and I cant find anything on the internet. Any input would help. Thanks, and sorry for such a long post.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Check on other aquarium websites, like aquabid. There are so many out there and you are bound to find something that arrives in less than three months.

3. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I agree check online $34 is way too much.

4. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

The most expensive cory I know is adolfoi, rrp around $25.

5. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

I have 9 adolfoi in my 175L they weren't that expensive 3 for £14.99 or 1 for £6.99. Definitely not the most expensive here, the lazer cories cost way more about £18 each.

Adolfoi are amazing, so active and playful.

6. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

In this case, getting more cories(albino, emeralds) would be best until they have the pandas in stock.