Panda Cory with Fin Rot? Or something more?

1. Civ2boss Initiate Member

[​IMG]

Problem:
    I just noticed yesterday that my Panda Cory possibly has fin rot, but I noticed there's white spots just on the fin as well. It doesn't look like ick to me, it's more fuzzy and splochy as you can see in the photo. I am wondering if there's some fungal infection as well?

Backstory
    :
    I have a 10 gallon tank with heater (turned off because it's summer and water stays at 80 F) and AquaClear 30 filter on low settings. I have 0 Ammonia, about 5 ppm Nitrites, about 2 ppm Nitrates. It's still in a cycle for about the last month and a half. I have one other Panda Cory that has no signs of fin rot or the white spots. I also have a Betta as well without fin rot that I can tell, but has some fin damage from a Blood Fin tetra that I had for about 2 weeks before returning to the pet store. I used to have one more Panda Cory for a total of 3 but it died about a week or two ago. That cory didn't have fin rot either. I believe it died because of high Nitrites, which I thought I was monitoring closely, but I guess not closely enough. I do a water change about 50% every week with a gravel vac.

Things I have tried:
    Right after I saw the issue yesterday, I did a 25% water change with a gravel vac and added Prime and a double dose of StressGuard.

So any ideas? Is it just fin rot or is there a fungal infection I have to worry about as well?

2. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I dont know if its because im on mobile or what, but the picture looks awfully fuzzy..I cant tell whats going on there lol
    Can you take a better picture please?

3. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

5 ppm nitrites? ? The test tube turns purple? ? That's really bad. 25% PWC brings that down to about 4 ppm, still horrible. I would retest, and do water changes until you get that down to 0 or close to 0. You need to do PWC like right now, them maybe another one (or five) soon afterwards to get that to zero. No medicine is going to help until you get that under control. I had cory panda in new tank too, I talk from experience, lost all of them except one. Was sad learning lesson. They do better in established tanks, not mid cycled tanks!

4. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

Btw my panda cory got puffy white stuff on the fins. It was fungus infection. I had been over feeding and had water mold on the substrate but I hadn't noticed. API FungusCure helped, but they ended up dying over time, they were hurt by mini cycles etc. Good luck

5. Civ2boss Initiate Member

Well I got as close to the fish and tank as possible to take that photo, with the flashlight right on the cory, you're probably seeing the bokah in the surrounding area. Just ignore everything except the fish, I actually chose the sharpest photo out of a bunch I took.

Well I did another water change today, about 30%. I don't know why but no matter how many water changes I do, the nitrites are always so high. I mean it makes sense since it's still mid-cycle to be high, but I would imagine that it would go down when I do a water change. Should I do even larger water changes, like 50% or 75%? I don't want to stress the fishes out too much by doing such a big water change though.

I don't have a new photo, but the white spots seems to be gone today, but the fin has gotten worse.

6. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

If your NitrItes are 5, a 50% water change should bring it down to 2.5ppm.
    With NitrItes that high, you need to be doing this daily to get it down. And dose with Prime. Itll detoxify the harmful stuff
    Can you test your tap water for us?

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Wouldn't nitrites of 5 mean gasping or even dead fish ?

8. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

You would think so..but idk. Ive never had 5ppm of nitrItes lol

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

My experience with finrot with Corys is : seperate and treat with a strong antibacterial med.
    For my venezuela "Tailless" it was too late to regrow its tail (when I got it). Treated with JBL ektol fluid btw

10. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

I would think so too.. he already lost one panda cory, had returned his other fish to the LFS (they are probably weakened by the nitrite exposure), and now he dosed Prime which can alleviate nitrite poisoning (to an extent). If the test tube turns purple for nitrites, that's pretty bad. I think of it as one of those "binary" tests.. if light blue, OK, anything else, bad.

11. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

And that brings the total of pandas to 2. So they are stressing out which makes then more susceptible to diseases and illness.

I think large daily back to back water changes are whats best right now.
    Prime Prime Prime

12. Civ2boss Initiate Member

Ok so I did water change the last two days as I said and here is the test results today with the API freshwater test kit:

[​IMG]

I think my cycle finally completed? I think I'll do another water change today, but should I medicate the Cory? Here's what the fish looks like today:

[​IMG]

You can see the fin got worse than the first photo I posted but it looks the same as yesterday, so it has not gotten worse since. If I should medicate, what is a recommended one for fin rot?

13. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

I don't know if that means tank is cycled, I think it just means you have been doing lots of water changes, sorry. This is why I prefer fishless cycling. When you see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and a nice red test tube for nitrates, you know for certain you are cycled. I would test again tomorrow and next few days to be certain you don't get another spike. I would keep doing daily water changes if you can, clean water works wonders for sick fish.

I usually give salt bath for fin rot, using tank water plus aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon rate. Do this is a bucket or separate container, not in the main tank! . The cory panda is sensitive to salt, so treat it like a dip, ie, watch him for an hour, if he stresses out (ie rolls over) put him back in the tank. The salt bath should help. Or try Paraguard, that might help. Must of the time, clean water does the trick...so get those buckets ready and clear your calendar!

14. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I've had good luck with furan-2 for fin rot and various other problems. Just an option to look into!

15. Civ2boss Initiate Member

Unfortunately my Cory died today. I just got the paraguard and have been using it for two days. Now I'm thinking if that caused it to die somehow. It's fin was even shorter this morning before it died. It was actually moving around more and eating normally the last few days too.

Here is my water tests today: [​IMG]

16. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Its very important that you get your tank cycled..
    Im not going to say that the stress of medication didnt help in the death of your fish. But I can tell you that an uncycled tank would have a bigger impact.

Im sorry for your loss