Panda Cory "tending" to bubbles

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do Panda Corys blow bubbles or tend to the bubbles at the top of the tank? 1 of my 4 corys is constantly at the top of my tank tanking in the bubbles that are on top and blowing them back out. I never had the bubbles until I put these guys in my tank but I'm pretty sure it's just the fish doing it. Once I had about 2 handfulls of bubbles on the top of my tank. Is this normal? All of the water parameters have stayed the same... I don't know what to think ???

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm kinda new with cories but ive done a desent amount of research and I have never heard of this. Hopefuly one of the forum members will come along soon to help

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are your water parameters? All corys will shoot up to the top and take in air bubbles and go back to the bottom. Mine will shoot up get a bubble and then he will chase a bubble on top sometimes. He will also chase the guppy sometimes.

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
handfuls of bubbles? that's one zealous cory.... I always find mine at top(my albino more often then the jullis) and I have come to think of it as normal...for corries, corries blow bubbles/suck in air for the air bladder to keep them more or less buoyant(float/sink)
if you just got them, they may not be used to the depth of the tank, even then they will still do it constantly.. atop of that, mine comes to the surface to eat as well.(which kinda scares me cause he only feeds near the sides and not much food ends up there..)
so bubbles and tending to bubbles, following bubbles, and craving bubbles appear to be normal.(as far as I know atleast) but handfulls of bubbles isn't usually possible,unless hes using saliva to coat his bubbles they should all pop fairly fast, other then that possibility... what chemicals do you use in your aquarium? some chems bubble for awhile after being put in.

EDIT:were the bubbles foamy like little bubbles are med-largish bubbles?

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I've noticed the other ones going to the top and getting a gulp of air and I've read that's normal behavior but this is just so strange lol My nitrate is at 10, nitrite at 0 and ph is 7.2. I use API Leaf Zone and Top Fin Water Conditioner and I haven't switched to any new brands. These bubbles only began to appear about a week or 2 after the corys came home. I've had them for a little over a month now so I don't think they are still adjusting and besides it's just the one who does this. To be honest, the bubbles look a bubble nest and it's massive lol I tried to take a video of it but of course as soon as I walk up to my tank the cory became camera shy and swam away from the work its been doing for the past hour lol

Ok, so I have a video of it but the quality is pretty bad sorry

EDIT: I have no idea how to post a video so this is the link lol

I've removed all of the printed link information that was at the top of the post.
Ken

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
did you do an ammonia test?

if nothing shows up on that either, just clean the bubbles up and do a partial W/C.

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No I didn't test for ammonia, right now I only have the test strips and they don't test for that, I'll probably go tonight and buy API's test kit and I guess we can go from there...

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you use a dechlorinator with aloe(stresscoat?) in it? they are bad to cause bubbles at the top of the tank.If you just top the tanks up for a bit it will build up and be really bubbly. aAlthough not harmful it can look messy.
If you are feeding lots of high protein foods this will cause bubbles also Just some thoughts
Carol

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you use a dechlorinator with aloe(stresscoat?) in it? they are bad to cause bubbles at the top of the tank.If you just top the tanks up for a bit it will build up and be really bubbly. aAlthough not harmful it can look messy.
If you are feeding lots of high protein foods this will cause bubbles also Just some thoughts
Carol ____________
not positive what it means...are you saying that stresscoat can cause bubbles?
I use stress coat+ and don't get bubbles?(well I do from filter but they never last more than a few seconds..)

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
steed1172 said:
not positive what it means...are you saying that stresscoat can cause bubbles?
I use stress coat+ and don't get bubbles?(well I do from filter but they never last more than a few seconds..)
Many of the dechlorinators that use aloe (and stresscoat is just an example) can cause bubbles. The aloe doesn't evaporate out like the water does, then when a tank is topped up more aloe is added when the dechlor is used and it can build up. I have seen this for myself It's not harmful but it does happen.
Carol

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
steed1172 said:
did you do an ammonia test?

if nothing shows up on that either, just clean the bubbles up and do a partial W/C.
I went out and bought the API test kit and the ammonia in my tank tested 0

Butterfly said:
Carol
As far as dechlorinator goes, I use Top Fin and I didn't see anything on the bottle that mentions aloe. I only use that and API leaf zone, other than that I don't use any other chemicals.

For food I alternate between HikarI Blood Worms 65%- crude protein and Tetra Color- crude protein 46%. I also use Hikari's sinking wafers- crude protein- 32%. I know I'm not over feeding, I give about a pinch to my tetras and pinch to my bettas and they eat all of the food. I also give 1-2 sinking wafers and those are always gone by time I check back and I only feed them every other day.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads