Panda Cory dying!!! HELP!

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, I seriously doubt if I can do anything for him; but the panda cory I bought yesterday when I bought my new guppy is lying on his side (when I woke up this morning, he was on his back, but I had class). He is still breathing and if I disturb him, he will struggle. This morning if I poked him with the net, he would swim furiously away. He does not appear to have ich or any other external parasites.

If he dies, I will take him back to the store and get a refund - he couldn't have been shocked by a water change because I had only added a little bit of my water up until this point. And the guppy is absolutely THRILLED with her new home, so I doubt there was a spike in a toxin.

Any ideas on how to help him? I know I just got him but I hate it when any of my critters dies, and he looks so sad and helpless.

I seperated him from my guppy in case she was bothering him, and so that if he is sick, she has less exposure to it.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At this point it's just wait and see I'm afraid Sorry. Is he eating? Is he maybe sleeping? Corys sleep in some of the strangest positions.
Carol

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you say you just got him, how long did you acclimatise him to the tank for? Or did you put him straight in the tank? Corries can be quite sensative to water condidtions, so if they are not acclimatised properly they probably will get ill.
I don't want to upset you, but this is exactly what one of my panda corries did before he died.

He probably has some illness he picked up at the store. Maybe you should take him back anyway. ???

If he is in a tank by himself, try putting melafix or some medication in. Melafix is a herbal medication so shouldn't hurt him if nothing is wrong, but does help a lot of different injuries and diseases.

Sorry to hear about your problems

Gwenz

p.s. - If you only have one, he could be lonely, they like to be in groups. It's the same with guppies. Your guppy may like to have some friends.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
No, he wasn't eating and he was not eating, either.  I gave him a bit of food to see.  At first he kind of sucked at it, but he did not consume any.  Also; I was still acclimating him - he was in mostly his water from the store and a little bit of my water. I am certain that he was sick from the store. The problem with taking him back before he dies is that you know that they don't give a **** whether any given fish lives or not. I at least want him to die in peace with someone loving him (me)... rather than at the store where they'll throw him either back in with the others who will pick on him, or out the door.

Unfortunately, he died while I was at lunch.  He no longer responds to anything (including such extreme measures as being pushed around with the net; he is no longer breathing.  Thank you for your replies.  I guess now I head back to the store and return him.    RIP Sha Wujing; we will miss you!  Luv from Dubh, Amaethon, Saydrienne and me.  

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had a panda cory do the same thing but i'd had him for a few months keep an eye on ur pH as well that was the only issue with my water at the time. sorry for your lose

~Inari

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom