Panda Cory Coloration

1. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Hello, it's me again with the questions. Seems like that's all I ever do.

I would really like to know why my panda cories are so dark. The pictures of other people's are so pretty and creamy white contrasting the black. Mine are gray. Even the ones in the store looked more natural than mine, and that's pretty bad. Got these pictures this morning, which took some doing because they're being very active. Last time I noticed dark pandas was when I added more without quarantine, and a week later half we're dead. Is there any way to get these guys to lighten up? Is it because of the black substrate (other people's look great on black)? Is it because of the treatment I just finished? Is it because I only have 3 now (plan to get more as soon as I can afford them and a heater for my new quarantine tank)? Sorry, I've had a lot on my mind lately. Both with fish stuff and not fish stuff, and then this little curiosity peaked it's head. Sometimes just feel like I'm not doing anything right. I just don't want to kill them because I suck as an owner.

Attached Files:

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I think it all has to do with strain, substrate, lighting. To be honest I like them to be dark. In my opinion a good sign.
    Mine looks lighter at a light substrate. 78e158c8b72a2ed46111144e11d28556.jpg

3. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Mine were very light in the store, now they are tan, have had 2 total fry grow to adult and look the same over the past 18 months or so.

4. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Ah. Okay then. Makes me feel a lot better. Thanks.

5. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Does anyone have a good picture example of what a healthy, fully grown panda cory looks like (maybe with something in the shot to show size scale)? I know they usually stay a little on the smaller size, but I'm starting to wonder about mine a little in this area as well.

6. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Bumping in regards to last question about an example pic.

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry don't have one but in my first pic is a fully grown assassin snail. Males stay smaller than females! 8f7cd54e6583e3e6e29dc9ab992d50ba.jpg 8e4243fe0d9939fdd0edf67623f4227d.jpg 9dda5d0633bea58c45ac507d6999b07c.jpg