Panda Cories With White Fungus? Help 

WanderAtNight

Reaction score
So I just bought 8 panda cory from the LFS. They have been in quarantine for 3 days now and today I noticed 2 have these strange white bits on there heads.

I need suggestion with what it might be and how to treat it.

Both are eating and acting normally, one definitely seems like it was a scratch and is now infected?

Thankyou in advance for your help.
20190612_051417.jpg
20190612_051432.jpg

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guess is abrasions with a fungus attached. Maybe netting injuries from the fish store. Clean water & time usually heals it up. Cory Cats are usually a little sensitive to meds so I'm not sure what to recommend.

WanderAtNight

Reaction score
A201 said:
My guess is abrasions with a fungus attached. Maybe netting injuries from the fish store. Clean water & time usually heals it up. Cory Cats are usually a little sensitive to meds so I'm not sure what to recommend.
hopefully that's all they need and it will heal on it's own I'll keep an eye on them and if it gets worse maybe I'll try an anti-fungal med? Have to do some research on one that's ok for them.

Thankyou for your advice, I'll update in a few days

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guess it is irritation of the slimeskin cause of the different waterparameters.
Try some waterchanges + melafix + good food.

Think about changing the substrate or making a sandbeach.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WanderAtNight said:
The tank is mostly bare bottom as it's a quarantine I just chucked some gravel from a cycled tank in there, I've also been doing 25% water changes each day and started melafix and pimafix yesterday after the water change.There hasn't been any improvement, in fact they look worse, could it possibly be bacterial?
Mmmm could definitely be. Sorry it didn't work.

Lately a lot have pandas seem to show issues.

If waterchanges + melafix don't work it almost it allmost must be bacterial (columnaris then probably).

Do you have a stronger anti bacterial med or antibiotics available ?

WanderAtNight

Reaction score
WanderAtNight said:
I have furan-2, kanaplex and metro+
So they are actually looking a bit better today, there was alot of tail fin loss yesterday but today the amount of white growth has reduced significantly and one has rejoined the main group, they seem more active than they did yesterday. I'm still dosing melafix and pimafix with a slime coat supplement and they have been getting frozen bloodworms and sinking tropical granules. Should I just continue what I'm doing or start an antibiotic? The first few pictures are yesterday and the last two are today.
20190614_192300.jpg
20190614_192305.jpg
20190614_192334.jpg
20190615_213321.jpg
20190615_213310.jpg

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would only use antibiotics as a last resort. Meds like that can sometimes kill off the benificial bacteria. If what you are doing is working its a good idea to stick with it.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A201 said:
I would only use antibiotics as a last resort. Meds like that can sometimes kill off the benificial bacteria. If what you are doing is working its a good idea to stick with it.
I agree with that, but it is the last resort to me. If waterchanges and Melafix don't work, I guess it is bacterial.
Strange thing is this issue is seen quite often lately in pandas (there is another thread right now). Puzzling me.

WanderAtNight

Reaction score
So update, everyone is doing good! All survived and are thriving in a 120 litre shrimp tank I just continued with the melafix and pimafix for about a week did a big water change and then dosed for another week. All tails/fin have almost regrown and they are all behaving normally thanks everyone for the advice and support!

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WanderAtNight said:
So update, everyone is doing good! All survived and are thriving in a 120 litre shrimp tank I just continued with the melafix and pimafix for about a week did a big water change and then dosed for another week. All tails/fin have almost regrown and they are all behaving normally thanks everyone for the advice and support!
That's wonderful to hear!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom