Panda Cories Dying - No Real Symptoms Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by JaneGael, Jul 20, 2019.

1. JaneGael

JaneGaelValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    2 years
    Well, I got panda cories from Trin's fish and they are following the pattern of the guppies I bought from them. No visible symptoms, good appetite and then dead. I've lost the third out of five tonight. I've been treating the quarantine tank (5g) with Paraguard hoping it would help but I guess not. The one who died tonight had a red spot on both sides that looked like an internal inflammation. The other two do not have this and I didn't see it in the other dead ones.

Tank perameters: Temp 78.3, pH 6.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 3. I use an APH test kit.

2. DeanEllenFins

DeanEllenFinsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Panda corydoras are very sensitive to parameters and change of any kind. Sometimes you can do everything right but the catch and travel of the whole buying experience stresses them out and they release a toxin that ends up killing quite a few of them. I do noticed that the temp is really uncomfortable for them and it needs to be lowered quite a bit.

I am unfamiliar with an APH test kit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    JaneGael

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    2 years
    I'll turn the temp down but I don't think it will get much under 77 degrees as it is so hot here.

I meant the API kit and mistyped it. Sorry.

Also I didn't spot the first dead one for about a day and he was growing white fungus or something long and white and fluffy around his body. I've never seen anything like it.

4. pagoda

pagodaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +643
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don't think you should keep getting your livestock from the same supplier if they always appear to be suffering from ill health in a short amount of time after buying them, try to find another that has a better reputation - even one further afield that delivers livestock (thats how I get mine due to no suppliers nearby) It sounds like the supplier is buying in fish and not quarantining them before placing them up for sale, reputable suppliers will always quarantine new fish stock for at least 3 to 4 weeks before selling them and most will offer a guarantee of life of around 7 to 10 days after sale

The temperature is a wee bit warm for them, if you have a desk fan you could try and point it at the aquarium, every little bit of cooling air will help.

Since you are having several deaths, it might be better to treat the aquarium as a whole rather than just the quarantine one since if contagious it will be in the main aquarium. Do frequent water changes, possibly daily, that will help get the temps down a little and help deal with whatever is affecting the fish too

5. DeanEllenFins

DeanEllenFinsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    The white stuff you saw growing on the body is normal after the death of a fish.
    If you are using an API water test how did you get a nitrate reading of 3? If it is truly a 3 then it must be a very new tank so when you added the fish it caused a nitrite spike thus killing the sensitive Pandas. The body being in there for that little bit caused another spike so the pink spots that you saw on the next Panda to pass may have been due to ammonia burns or nitrite poisoning. I'm very sorry. Even in a old cycled tank there is a delicate balance of bacteria that thrives on the inhabitants excretions of ammonia but if you add even one more fish, that balance becomes disrupted for a bit and causing a mini spike/ mini cycle. The bacteria in the tank then multiply and more of them thrive to help with the new offset of ammonia. Older tanks recover much faster than newer tanks.
    It is incredibly upsetting to lose fish but hang in there and keep asking questions. No matter how long anyone has been in this hobby, we can always learn something new.
    Best wishes

6. OP
    OP
    JaneGael

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    2 years
    Don't worry I'm never ordering from Trin again. I got snails before that were beautiful, so I trusted him for fish. I did had a large order trying to get fish before it started getting too hot. All the red cherry shrimp I ordered arrived dead because there was nothing to cling to packed in with them. All the guppies died and now it looks like I will lose all the pandas. Oddly enough I only lost one ember tetra and the long fin zebra danios are healthy.

I'm dosing the tank with Paraguard, is that okay?

The pandas are in a new tank for quarantine, instant cycled with materials from existing tanks. I don't know how to do better than that for quarantine. I've never lost fish from a quarantine tank before but I've never had panda corries before either.

Thanks for encouraging me to ask questions. I'm still a newbie at this even though I've had tanks for about 3 years. There is so much to learn. Having you wonderful people to assist me is a godsend. Thank you very much!

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,744
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How long is the tank running ?

8. OP
    OP
    JaneGael

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    2 years
    It's a quarantine tank, so it's new. I used filters from long established tanks (including a extra sponge filter that I had running) and added food and Stability so that I'd get a cycle going. The Julii's I got from a different breeder at the same time went in an identical tank and they are thriving.

I still have two pandas but in one I can see a red spot in the area that looks like his tummy. I'm still using Paraguard on the tank.

Parameters yesterday were: Ammonia 0. Nitrites 0, Nitrates 3, pH 6.5, temp is down to 77 with no heater running.