Panda Cories Breeding! Help!

BearAndSunny

So today I noticed 2 of my pandas following each other around and lying oddly on the substrate. I was busy but kept coming back to keep an eye on them and I saw one with a yellowish-orange egg between her fins! Im pretty excited to be honest as I never set out to breed them but I want to try and save the eggs if I can!

Im gonna spend the rest of my night watching videos on it probably but I just wanted to hear from people here what I should do? Im a first timer with this and I dont even have a breeder box so im lost!

heres a video i took of them. I read up some articles and im very sure these two are spawning but I just wanted to check. Like I said, I saw the female with an egg. Im worried about how im gonna go about finding these tomorrow morning...

Thanks guys!

Betta'sAnonymous

Breeder box or a whole other tank so the eggs don't get ate. Whole other tank would be best so the fry can grow also without getting ate. Though sometimes thats best too so you don't get bred out of the tank! Just depends on your goals

BearAndSunny

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Breeder box or a whole other tank so the eggs don't get ate. Whole other tank would be best so the fry can grow also without getting ate. Though sometimes thats best too so you don't get bred out of the tank! Just depends on your goals
Ive got a spare 2 gallon at the moment but could get my hands on a slightly bigger tank fast as a store in town does trashy plastic ones (i use the 2 gallon i have from them as a holding tank for bettas etc if im ever doing a big rescape for example)

So like will i literally just net out any eggs i can see and put them in there? Should i use tank water? Will i have to treat the eggs? Sorry for so many questions lol these are just my most pressing ones. If I do a seperate tank tho I'll need another heater :/

Cory04

There is a helpful video in the girl talks fish channel. She was breeding albinos, but I think they are about the same. You don't need a tank, you can get a plastic tub from anywhere for cheap.

Broggy

a 2 gallon is perfect, the smaller the better because its easier for the fry to find their food and you can see the eggs to be sure they hatch. once they start growing you can find a larger container to grow them out in. also, if you have any methylene blue, hydrogen peroxide, or tannins I think, it will prevent the eggs from fungusing, just be sure to take whatever chemical out before they hatch.

watch them lay the eggs and immediately take them out, because corys love eating their eggs. a tip that I have learned is to feed them a ton, and they won't feel the need to eat as much of the eggs they lay.

Nate32

Carpeting plants are great for baby panda cories. I had pandas in a 20 gallon with a dwarf gourami and tetras. Once I noticed fry in the carpet I avoided gravel vaccing that area. They took care of themselves and I was constantly trying to find homes for the fry. I had about 30 survive in one batch. They were able to hide until they were big enough to emerge without being eaten although I never personally saw the gourami hunt for them.

BearAndSunny

Cory04 said:
There is a helpful video in the girl talks fish channel. She was breeding albinos, but I think they are about the same. You don't need a tank, you can get a plastic tub from anywhere for cheap.
I'll check it out!

Broggy said:
a 2 gallon is perfect, the smaller the better because its easier for the fry to find their food and you can see the eggs to be sure they hatch. once they start growing you can find a larger container to grow them out in. also, if you have any methylene blue, hydrogen peroxide, or tannins I think, it will prevent the eggs from fungusing, just be sure to take whatever chemical out before they hatch.

watch them lay the eggs and immediately take them out, because corys love eating their eggs. a tip that I have learned is to feed them a ton, and they won't feel the need to eat as much of the eggs they lay.
Man im gonna need another heater now XD I wish i could afford to constantly just heat my room lol

I actually have methylene blue. hydrogen peroxide (although its like 12% possibly higher idk if thats too strong) and the tank my pandas are in is full of tannins but ive got IAL i could use too. Which one is better for the eggs/fry? My bet would be tannins.

It's like 12:30am ish here and its been a few hours but im not seeing any eggs. The tank is quite densely planted so it's gonna be hard. Theyre still chasing though after all this time, it must be tiring Its way past lights off time but I wanna try and at least see where some eggs might be getting laid. Would it be effective if i fed the tank a little now to put off egg eating? Or would that just distract them? Trust them to be doing this when im trying to get to bed I really wanna try save some eggs tho

Flyfisha

Hi BearAndSunny
I realise this is new and exciting for you and it would seem you have a lot of commitment to these eggs?

Please let me give you an insight into what is happening and what could continue to happen so you adjust your attitude and expectations slightly.

Now you have adults laying eggs it likely they will do it again and again. Perhaps every fortnight for weeks?
Feeding live worms to corydoras is the key to healthy fish laying eggs. Small micro worm, grindle worm and white worms are fish food cultures. Not just any old garden worm. Even without these live foods you may have hundreds of eggs over time.

Should you still wish to save every egg I understand. Be aware some will not make it as you learn what works for you with your routine of daily life. It’s a lot of work. I just want you to realise you may fail a few times before you succeed.

Raising the fry to adulthood is ether a case of letting nature take its course in the main tank and have a handful survive each year. Or doing a lot of work and over time having more fish than you know what to do with. Be aware that panda corys are one of the easiest to breed and most importantly they cross breed with other species far to easily. Should you have a pure line of corydoras they are not worth much money.

Any cory fry is so cute I admit.

Please also be aware of the heartbreak that comes from losing juveniles you have watched daily for months before you embark on the adventure.

Mlou

I would actually search for the eggs a few hours after their spawn. I find that Cory eggs are best harvested when they are freshly laid as the eggs remain sticky and it’s simple for you to use your clean finger tip to gently roll the eggs off any surface onto your finger tip and re-rolled them onto the glass of another tank or the side of any breeder box. After a while these eggs are no longer sticky and if you try to harvest them, they won’t stick to your finger but instead fall onto the sand and disappear. At this point I’ve collected so many sterbai eggs that I can do it in my sleep, so long as they are still sticky. I just set up a cheap Topfin mesh breeder container with nylon mesh that I bought from petsmart for 4.99 each, set it in the parents tank and drop all the harvested eggs in there. Put some plants in there too. Don’t forget to add a very thin layer of sand into the mesh container so the babies once hatched and free swimming can graze on the fine sand. In three days after the harvest of the eggs a ton of wrigglers appear at the bottom of the mesh breeder container. You should make sure there’s filter generated flow of water directed and aimed at the mesh container so the babies get a constant flow of fresh water. Once I see wrigglers, I start dipping Hikari first bite powder into the container by using a wet Q tip. There will be uneatened powder food buildup at the bottom of the container but don’t worry because when the babies are done consuming their yolk sac in about 2 days they will start eating the powder on the sandy bottom of the container as well as whatever micro organisms or infusoria that are there eating the first bite powder. Keep dipping plenty of Hikari powder food with a wet Q tip into the containers (twice a day) and in two weeks time you will see a bunch of big fry that you can actually release into the tank if your tank has a big bunch of Java moss or any other plants that can offer shelter for the fry. If you have plants like Java moss in the tank the fry babies will hide in the Java moss and eat all day and the parent fish will ignore them, especially if you take good care by giving them lots of good food. I don’t think Cory parents actively hunt down their fry in my experience. They will only eat stationary eggs, though I have never seen any of my 6 adult sterbai parents even try to eat their eggs on the glass of the tank at any time.
I follow this method since my sterbai started spawning a few weeks ago and from 6 young adult sterbais I have now over 100 sterbai of all stages from fry to young adults...you’ll really enjoy getting new pandas from your own stock too.

BearAndSunny

Okay so update, i found 4 eggs on the substrate, like i said it looks like they're still at it!
Mlou said:
I would actually search for the eggs a few hours after their spawn. I find that Cory eggs are best harvested when they are freshly laid as the eggs remain sticky and it’s simple for you to use your clean finger tip to gently roll the eggs off any surface onto your finger tip and re-rolled them onto the glass of another tank or the side of any breeder box. After a while these eggs are no longer sticky and if you try to harvest them, they won’t stick to your finger but instead fall onto the sand and disappear. At this point I’ve collected so many sterbai eggs that I can do it in my sleep, so long as they are still sticky. I just set up a cheap Topfin mesh breeder container with nylon mesh that I bought from petsmart for 4.99 each, set it in the parents tank and drop all the harvested eggs in there. Put some plants in there too. Don’t forget to add a very thin layer of sand into the mesh container so the babies once hatched and free swimming can graze on the fine sand. In three days after the harvest of the eggs a ton of wrigglers appear at the bottom of the mesh breeder container. You should make sure there’s filter generated flow of water directed and aimed at the mesh container so the babies get a constant flow of fresh water. Once I see wrigglers, I start dipping Hikari first bite powder into the container by using a wet Q tip. There will be uneatened powder food buildup at the bottom of the container but don’t worry because when the babies are done consuming their yolk sac in about 2 days they will start eating the powder on the sandy bottom of the container as well as whatever micro organisms or infusoria that are there eating the first bite powder. Keep dipping plenty of Hikari powder food with a wet Q tip into the containers (twice a day) and in two weeks time you will see a bunch of big fry that you can actually release into the tank if your tank has a big bunch of Java moss or any other plants that can offer shelter for the fry. If you have plants like Java moss in the tank the fry babies will hide in the Java moss and eat all day and the parent fish will ignore them, especially if you take good care by giving them lots of good food. I don’t think Cory parents actively hunt down their fry in my experience. They will only eat stationary eggs, though I have never seen any of my 6 adult sterbai parents even try to eat their eggs on the glass of the tank at any time.
I follow this method since my sterbai started spawning a few weeks ago and from 6 young adult sterbais I have now over 100 sterbai of all stages from fry to young adults...you’ll really enjoy getting new pandas from your own stock too.
That's a lot of great info thank you so much! Thats super useful!

Broggy

BearAndSunny said:
I'll check it out!

Man im gonna need another heater now XD I wish i could afford to constantly just heat my room lol

I actually have methylene blue. hydrogen peroxide (although its like 12% possibly higher idk if thats too strong) and the tank my pandas are in is full of tannins but ive got IAL i could use too. Which one is better for the eggs/fry? My bet would be tannins.

It's like 12:30am ish here and its been a few hours but im not seeing any eggs. The tank is quite densely planted so it's gonna be hard. Theyre still chasing though after all this time, it must be tiring Its way past lights off time but I wanna try and at least see where some eggs might be getting laid. Would it be effective if i fed the tank a little now to put off egg eating? Or would that just distract them? Trust them to be doing this when im trying to get to bed I really wanna try save some eggs tho
tannins would be the best, although I have never used it. 12 percent is pretty concentrated, so cut the dosage ( idk the exact dosage) in thirds. my paleatus Corys like to lay eggs on the glass, depending on the type, sometimes they like to lay them on other things.

good night, corys like to breed in the morning also, you can do a 10 percent WC with cold water and that will trigger them to breed sometimes, but like Flyfisha said, they are usually constantly breeding regardles.

BearAndSunny

Broggy said:
tannins would be the best, although I have never used it. 12 percent is pretty concentrated, so cut the dosage ( idk the exact dosage) in thirds. my paleatus Corys like to lay eggs on the glass, depending on the type, sometimes they like to lay them on other things.

good night, corys like to breed in the morning also, you can do a 10 percent WC with cold water change and that will trigger them to breed sometimes, but like Flyfisha said, they are usually constantly breeding regardles.
Mine must be oddballs then or maybe ill find loads in the morning lol

Ive got just under 10 eggs atm, i dont have a breeder box or a heater for the 2 gallon so im gonna use a small clean plastic container and put the eggs in it then cover it with mesh and use an elastic band then secure it in the tank for now. Thats the best i can think to do right now

Mlou

BearAndSunny said:
Mine must be oddballs then or maybe ill find loads in the morning lol

Ive got just under 10 eggs atm, i dont have a breeder box or a heater for the 2 gallon so im gonna use a small clean plastic container and put the eggs in it then cover it with mesh and use an elastic band then secure it in the tank for now. Thats the best i can think to do right now
A little Tupperware plastic container can work. Can you add an air stone in it too?

BearAndSunny

Mlou said:
A little Tupperware plastic container can work. Can you add an air stone in it too?
Even if i put the tub in the tank? But yeah i can if that will help them ive got spare small round ones!

Dumb question but i take it its 1 egg = 1 cory? Ive got 8 so far ive just very gently seperated them from the substrate that was in my net with blunt tweesers.

The geniuses that are the parents seem to think right under my inlet tube it a wonderful place to drop eggs :/ my inlet slits are thinner than the eggs so they wont get sucked up but i cant help but feel that might be somewhat damaging...

Mlou

No worries Cory eggs are tough.

BearAndSunny

So almost 2 hours later im in bed

Ive got 9 eggs at current and theyre in a little plastic container with a garlic bag cut up and put over the top with an airstone inside. I was having issues with huge air bubbles forming under the net because its so fine but ive secured it under the feeding tube i have for the shrimp in there. Felt like it took me absolutely ages but you never know, might be worth it

I'll update tomorrow morning! Thanks everyone so far with your help!

BearAndSunny

So today im waiting on a heater, i thought it was worth it since I'll probably end up with more bettas in the future i also ordered some hikari first bite to come on saturday so even if they hatch 3-4 days they'll still be eating their yolk sack

Cory04 The vid by girl talks fish was sooo helpful i watched it several times so thanks again!

While I wait for my heater which probably wont come till late (the sad times of not being able to drive and living in the country lol) this is my set up, i just wanted peoples opinions on it!

20210421_150808.jpg

20210421_150843.jpg

You can kinda see them in there

So i have the tub clipped on with a STRONG clasp and then i filled it with water from the tank and put the tiniest drop of methylene blue bc it was just easier and then i added the airstone again. Is it enough? Something thats wrong?

Thanks!

Cory04

BearAndSunny said:
So today im waiting on a heater, i thought it was worth it since I'll probably end up with more bettas in the future i also ordered some hikari first bite to come on saturday so even if they hatch 3-4 days they'll still be eating their yolk sack

Cory04 The vid by girl talks fish was sooo helpful i watched it several times so thanks again!

While I wait for my heater which probably wont come till late (the sad times of not being able to drive and living in the country lol) this is my set up, i just wanted peoples opinions on it!

20210421_150808.jpg

20210421_150843.jpg

So i have the tub clipped on with a STRONG clasp and then i filled it with water from the tank and put the tiniest drop of methylene blue bc it was just easier and then i added the airstone again. Is it enough? Something thats wrong?

Thanks!
np

Flyfisha

Nothing wrong as such just my observation and suggestions .

Hikari first bites . Do they come in different sizes ? Or is the one package sold in Australia the only size pellets? Those I have seen are far to big for a fry to eat. Crushed to a very fine powder they will be a lot easier for fry to eat.

I believe food should be available for fry well before the egg sack is gone. Any good adult food crushed to a fine powder will do .

While this species is not small on day one and will eat dry food for best results realise they are micro predators that hunt protein ( meat ) . No need to culture Infusorea unless you have some on old leaf litter but I would be feeding micro worms. Possibly one of the easiest live cultures ? These small white worms stay alive in water and sink down to the floor unlike brine shrimp that swim towards the light before they die and sink.
See how you go with this batch of eggs. You may find you get more success with micro worms?

I always add old established (dirty) leaf litter and old moss to a breeder box along with a few bits old dirty gravel . While these guys don’t eat algae they do eat the micro creatures / bugs/ Infusorea that live in all old established (dirty) tanks.
Repeating .
My breeding box is full of old established ( algae covered) ornaments or plants. An empty sterile plastic container has nothing in it for a first meal.

These are the two options or paths that different people believe to be the best way to start bringing these guys into the world.
A sterile plastic container with meth blue or a dirty filthy algae covered pile of old dry leaves and old wood from the bottom of an established tank.

An air stone and clean water are not optional.
Sorry about the lighting on the hang on front breeding box .

Mlou

BearAndSunny said:

20210421_150808.jpg

20210421_150843.jpg

Thanks!
I love it.....I think these guys will hatch and you will get the babies. I would change half of the water in the container each day by dumping some out and adding in replacement tank water so that by the time the babies hatch, your concentration of MB is hardly there. Then wait for a few days for your First bite to come (and yolk sac to be sued up) and then start feeding. Once they start free swimming and feeding prepared food, it's probably better for you to move them into a breeder cage of some kind. Best!

BearAndSunny

Mlou said:
I love it.....I think these guys will hatch and you will get the babies. I would change half of the water in the container each day by dumping some out and adding in replacement tank water so that by the time the babies hatch, your concentration of MB is hardly there. Then wait for a few days for your First bite to come (and yolk sac to be sued up) and then start feeding. Once they start free swimming and feeding prepared food, it's probably better for you to move them into a breeder cage of some kind. Best!
Thank you so much! You've been such a great help so far!
Flyfisha said:
Nothing wrong as such just my observation and suggestions .

Hikari first bites . Do they come in different sizes ? Or is the one package sold in Australia the only size pellets? Those I have seen are far to big for a fry to eat. Crushed to a very fine powder they will be a lot easier for fry to eat.

I believe food should be available for fry well before the egg sack is gone. Any good adult food crushed to a fine powder will do .

While this species is not small on day one and will eat dry food for best results realise they are micro predators that hunt protein ( meat ) . No need to culture Infusorea unless you have some on old leaf litter but I would be feeding micro worms. Possibly one of the easiest live cultures ? These small white worms stay alive in water and sink down to the floor unlike brine shrimp that swim towards the light before they die and sink.
See how you go with this batch of eggs. You may find you get more success with micro worms?

I always add old established (dirty) leaf litter and old moss to a breeder box along with a few bits old dirty gravel . While these guys don’t eat algae they do eat the micro creatures / bugs/ Infusorea that live in all old established (dirty) tanks.
Repeating .
My breeding box is full of old established ( algae covered) ornaments or plants. An empty sterile plastic container has nothing in it for a first meal.

These are the two options or paths that different people believe to be the best way to start bringing these guys into the world.
A sterile plastic container with meth blue or a dirty filthy algae covered pile of old dry leaves and old wood from the bottom of an established tank.

An air stone and clean water are not optional.
Sorry about the lighting on the hang on front breeding box .
Hikari first bite is a power so no worries there

Flyfisha

Feeding.
Only the smallest smallest amount is required. Less than half of what you think, and half it again. A turkey baster is a good way of removing uneaten food.

From the picture I am also concerned about the amount of meth blue? The only knowledge I have of its use on eggs is from videos.

BearAndSunny

Flyfisha said:
Feeding.
Only the smallest smallest amount is required. Less than half of what you think, and half it again. A turkey baster is a good way of removing uneaten food.

From the picture I am also concerned about the amount of meth blue? The only knowledge I have of its use on eggs is from videos.
Good tip! The dosage on the packet instructed 1ml per 9 litres so obviously my container is small. I added the tank water to the tub with no eggs inside then put in a single drop with a pippet. I then poured out just over half of the water and added in more tank water. There was no real way for me to calculate how small the dose would have needed to be so I felt happy with the result of this. It was also very bright outside so that might have contributed!

However, this is all a first time learning experience and I obviously dont WANT to do things wrong but its just how it is, if things do go wrong then theres nothing i can do but learn. Only time will tell if i really have done it right

I also plan to follow Mlou 's advice on changing the water each day so the tiny amount of blue will be reduced as the babies are beginning to hatch, granted they do. Im only really doing this because im interested and although i value all creature's lives greatly, i am only trying my best and its not for profit or anything. I will have to sell on babies if they make it because i have to room but thats okay! I might even give them for free, who knows!

BearAndSunny

Upadte time, and i have questions

Over the past few days ive been monitoring the eggs, keeping the airstone running in the tub and taking out 50% of the water then replacing it with tank water. Today I found a breeder box when I was in town so I attached it near my outlet pipe and also added the airstone back in (this was a rare find so im very happy, my local pet store has a single shelf of fish things ). Tonight will be their fourth night but I dunno, I just have a lot of questions I need answers to. Im sorry for tagging you again, Mlou but you've been such a great help already! Please don't feel you have to answer me though

My questions are;
1. Should my eggs have been yellow to begin with? Ive been reading a lot and it seems most sources say cory eggs are white for 24 hours then go tan colour if theyre fertile. Mine were always yellowish but they have a sort of half and half look to them, one half is more translucent than the other side. I can try to get a pic but it might be hard to pick up.

2. On the 2nd day I moved them to a better tub (the set up i posted a pic of) then on the 3rd, all this yellowish dust like stuff had appeared. What even was it and was that even normal? I wish I'd taken a pic but i didn't think to. The dust stuck to the eggs and I was worried it was fungus but like i said, the stuff was all over the tub (inside only) and I still had meth blue in there so...what?? I dumped it out after moving the eggs to a different tub and this morning I still noticed some but i failed to take a pic agian...regretting that as it might have helped.

3. How long should I leave the eggs if they dont hatch later today (the fourth night)? Should I wait a few extra days or what?

4. Is there any way I can tell if theyre okay? I'd guess not but I wondered maybe if you're able to use a torch you might see movement inside or something.

I think that's my most pressing questions. I'm just starting to worry that these wont hatch now. I know it's maybe not a big deal because that's just life etc and im certain they'll breed again so even if they don't hatch, it's still a little sad but there's always next time.

I would really appreciate if anyone could answer my questions as I feel I just need to know. Thanks again!

pagoda

Cory are just simply sex mad. Once they get "of age" they just get into full on "getting jiggy with it" and can soon plaster the glass, substrate, ornaments...everything....with eggs, lots and lots of eggs.

One of my older aquariums started with 6 Bronze......within 6 months I had lost count at 30 (its an awesome excuse to get more aquariums ) I left my Cory eggs in the aquarium and within a short time loads of tiny wigglers were spotted, often on moss balls which they enjoyed playtime on

BearAndSunny

pagoda said:
Cory are just simply sex mad. Once they get "of age" they just get into full on "getting jiggy with it" and can soon plaster the glass, substrate, ornaments...everything....with eggs, lots and lots of eggs.

One of my older aquariums started with 6 Bronze......within 6 months I had lost count at 30 (its an awesome excuse to get more aquariums ) I left my Cory eggs in the aquarium and within a short time loads of tiny wigglers were spotted, often on moss balls which they enjoyed playtime on
It is indeed, I have 6 pandas and I can see that it may turn out for me as yours has! I would not be mad I feel a bit like my cories had no idea what they were doing as first timers, they laid on the substrate not glass etc. Ive had them since they were tiny so im sure of that. But thank you for the reassurance!

Flyfisha

2.30 am down under in a tent beside a mountain lake.

My eyes see yellowish eggs from day one. They do harden in the first few minutes. An egg with fungus is double the size.

I am going to say the dust you are seeing is very normal in any aquarium water . It’s likely Mulm ( organic waste) just settling out of the water?

Yes definitely wait a few more days. The eggs have poor eyesight and can’t read the book that says hatch in 5 days. Give them 10 before you lose interest and then a few more.

Please relax. You worrying will not help. Technically an egg that does not hatch can’t die? Or does not need a name anyway. Perhaps setting a goal of getting a first batch of one or two to ten days old is more realistic? It may take several attempts to get to that goal.

A true story.
I once had a female place eggs on the glass just a few inches from my hand as I vacuumed the waste water.

BearAndSunny

Flyfisha said:
2.30 am down under in a tent beside a mountain lake.

My eyes see yellowish eggs from day one. They do harden in the first few minutes. An egg with fungus is double the size.

I am going to say the dust you are seeing is very normal in any aquarium water . It’s likely Mulm ( organic waste) just settling out of the water?

Yes definitely wait a few more days. The eggs have poor eyesight and can’t read the book that says hatch in 5 days. Give them 10 before you lose interest and then a few more.

Please relax. You worrying will not help. Technically an egg that does not hatch can’t die? Or does not need a name anyway. Perhaps setting a goal of getting a first batch of one or two to ten days old is more realistic? It may take several attempts to get to that goal.

A true story.
I once had a female place eggs on the glass just a few inches from my hand as I vacuumed the waste water.
Thank for your reply!

1; Oh, well im glad the yellow is definately normal. I thought so but as I read other stuff I started to doubt it. Sorry if its dumb question but do eggs with fungus grow in size then? Or are some eggs just natrually bigger as I seem to have a variety of sizes within my 10

2. I kinda thought it might be something like that but I guess I was being quite paranoid

3. Got it I'll give them time

4. I suppose you're right, I just natrually worry a lot about EVERYTHING but i'll do my best

Wow...bold female. Fish are so strange

mattgirl

Another true story. I had a cory plaster eggs on the siphon tube while I was doing a water change. When they are ready to lay eggs they will not be distracted by anything else going on in the tank.

BTW: I started with 3 albino and 3 bronze. I am guessing I now have at least 25 in my 55 gallon tank. They are too active to get an accurate head count. I have also given away at least 20 more. My corys lay eggs almost daily. I have a lot of adult females. I would prefer no more hatch so am pleased that all my fish including the corys consider them good snacks. I actually scrape the majority of them off the glass to make it easier for the smaller fish to get their share.

One observation I made back when I was collecting eggs is I had a better hatch rate if I never exposed the eggs to the air. I never added Meth.blue or hydrogen peroxide. You will know the egg(s) is not viable if it grows fungus. The egg will look bigger but it is simply covered in fungus. Use your turkey baster to remove these eggs.

I know how exciting it is when we very first see eggs. It was the same for me. I followed the very good advice Coradee posted about hatching cory eggs. Raising cory fry | Corydoras Forum | 204003 My first attempt following her very good advice was successful.

BTW: Every cory egg I've seen has been the same size. None bigger or smaller than the rest.

Mlou

BearAndSunny said:
Upadte time, and i have questions

Over the past few days ive been monitoring the eggs, keeping the airstone running in the tub and taking out 50% of the water then replacing it with tank water. Today I found a breeder box when I was in town so I attached it near my outlet pipe and also added the airstone back in (this was a rare find so im very happy, my local pet store has a single shelf of fish things ). Tonight will be their fourth night but I dunno, I just have a lot of questions I need answers to. Im sorry for tagging you again, Mlou but you've been such a great help already! Please don't feel you have to answer me though

My questions are;
1. Should my eggs have been yellow to begin with? Ive been reading a lot and it seems most sources say cory eggs are white for 24 hours then go tan colour if theyre fertile. Mine were always yellowish but they have a sort of half and half look to them, one half is more translucent than the other side. I can try to get a pic but it might be hard to pick up.

2. On the 2nd day I moved them to a better tub (the set up i posted a pic of) then on the 3rd, all this yellowish dust like stuff had appeared. What even was it and was that even normal? I wish I'd taken a pic but i didn't think to. The dust stuck to the eggs and I was worried it was fungus but like i said, the stuff was all over the tub (inside only) and I still had meth blue in there so...what?? I dumped it out after moving the eggs to a different tub and this morning I still noticed some but i failed to take a pic agian...regretting that as it might have helped.

3. How long should I leave the eggs if they dont hatch later today (the fourth night)? Should I wait a few extra days or what?

4. Is there any way I can tell if theyre okay? I'd guess not but I wondered maybe if you're able to use a torch you might see movement inside or something.

I think that's my most pressing questions. I'm just starting to worry that these wont hatch now. I know it's maybe not a big deal because that's just life etc and im certain they'll breed again so even if they don't hatch, it's still a little sad but there's always next time.

I would really appreciate if anyone could answer my questions as I feel I just need to know. Thanks again!
I would give your eggs a few more days. It wouldn’t hurt. By day 4 if your eggs are infertile they would have long fuzzed over and deteriorated. So long as you still see a distinct nice circular shape and it’s yellow, then I’d wait.
‘Having fish spawn is a long process. As you may have witnessed, the corydoras spawn in a strange way that we humans have not completely understood yet. They also need to mature and figure things out.....so their first spawn may not be perfect, nor their second. You just have to help them by making sure you have all the equipmentavailable, like a breeding box to house and protect the egg, the baby food, etc etc etc if you get nothing this time, so what? You still have a bunch of fish that will most definitely spawn again, and next time, you’ll be that much better prepared. So relax and don’t get so stressed out.

BearAndSunny

mattgirl said:
Another true story. I had a cory plaster eggs on the siphon tube while I was doing a water change. When they are ready to lay eggs they will not be distracted by anything else going on in the tank.

BTW: I started with 3 albino and 3 bronze. I am guessing I now have at least 25 in my 55 gallon tank. They are too active to get an accurate head count. I have also given away at least 20 more. My corys lay eggs almost daily. I have a lot of adult females. I would prefer no more hatch so am pleased that all my fish including the corys consider them good snacks. I actually scrape the majority of them off the glass to make it easier for the smaller fish to get their share.

One observation I made back when I was collecting eggs is I had a better hatch rate if I never exposed the eggs to the air. I never added Meth.blue or hydrogen peroxide. You will know the egg(s) is not viable if it grows fungus. The egg will look bigger but it is simply covered in fungus. Use your turkey baster to remove these eggs.

I know how exciting it is when we very first see eggs. It was the same for me. I followed the very good advice Coradee posted about hatching cory eggs. Raising cory fry | Corydoras Forum | 204003 My first attempt following her very good advice was successful.

BTW: Every cory egg I've seen has been the same size. None bigger or smaller than the rest.
It is quite lucky that they can sort of control their own population i think

Hm, I'll need to remember that tip. My eggs were exposed to air quite a bit. Not prolonged exposure but a few times with me moving them into a better tub then my breeder box today. I suppose I should look at removing some eggs then. I take it the very tiny ones are the good ones? I will try to get a picture of them...

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-24 at 10.24.26 PM.jpeg

To me they just seem ever so slightly different. What do you all think of them? (the floaters are under the net...duckweed, ya know ) If anyone could point out if any are bad that I should remove that would be great! Seeing it im worried they're all bad

I'll check out the thread! Thank you!

Mlou said:
I would give your eggs a few more days. It wouldn’t hurt. By day 4 if your eggs are infertile they would have long fuzzed over and deteriorated. So long as you still see a distinct nice circular shape and it’s yellow, then I’d wait.
‘Having fish spawn is a long process. As you may have witnessed, the corydoras spawn in a strange way that we humans have not completely understood yet. They also need to mature and figure things out.....so their first spawn may not be perfect, nor their second. You just have to help them by making sure you have all the equipmentavailable, like a breeding box to house and protect the egg, the baby food, etc etc etc if you get nothing this time, so what? You still have a bunch of fish that will most definitely spawn again, and next time, you’ll be that much better prepared. So relax and don’t get so stressed out.
Alright, I'll wait a little longer. I figured these ones might not be a huge success as it was definately me and the cories first time with fry You are right, I suppose though it's all good learning. I know what I could do differently next time and now I will have things like a breeder box on hand and it wont be such a struggle to piece things together!

mattgirl

BearAndSunny said:
It is quite lucky that they can sort of control their own population i think

Hm, I'll need to remember that tip. My eggs were exposed to air quite a bit. Not prolonged exposure but a few times with me moving them into a better tub then my breeder box today. I suppose I should look at removing some eggs then. I take it the very tiny ones are the good ones? I will try to get a picture of them...

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-24 at 10.24.26 PM.jpeg

To me they just seem ever so slightly different. What do you all think of them? (the floaters are under the net...duckweed, ya know ) If anyone could point out if any are bad that I should remove that would be great! Seeing it im worried they're all bad

I'll check out the thread! Thank you!
To be perfectly honest these don't look like cory eggs to me. Were they stuck to the glass or something in the tank. I've only had albino/bronze corys but I think all species lay them the same way. The female expels some into her bottom fins. Sometime during this time the male fertilizes them and then she rubs up against something and allows the eggs to stick to that item.

Were these eggs stuck to something or did you pick them up from the bottom of the tank?

BearAndSunny

mattgirl said:
To be perfectly honest these don't look like cory eggs to me. Were they stuck to the glass or something in the tank. I've only had albino/bronze corys but I think all species lay them the same way. The female expels some into her bottom fins. Sometime during this time the male fertilizes them and then she rubs up against something and allows the eggs to stick to that item.

Were these eggs stuck to something or did you pick them up from the bottom of the tank?
I picked them up from the bottom but I did see the female with one in her bottom fins so that was why I assumed they were hers...

Any idea what they might be otherwise?

edit; looked up eggs of other fish i have in there and..? BN eggs??
Not my vid

What do you think?
First off i was certain both of mine were male and second, why would they be left lying around the substrate??

So now to me they look like BN eggs more than cory eggs even though I saw my cories at least performing breeding rituals and I really was so sure I saw a female cory with an egg between her fins?? This is such a mystery now

mattgirl

BearAndSunny said:
I picked them up from the bottom but I did see the female with one in her bottom fins so that was why I assumed they were hers...

Any idea what they might be otherwise?

edit; looked up eggs of other fish i have in there and..? BN eggs??

What do you think?
First off i was certain both of mine were male and second, why would they be left lying around the substrate??

So now to me they look like BN eggs more than cory eggs even though I saw my cories at least performing breeding rituals and I really was so sure I saw a female cory with an egg between her fins?? This is such a mystery now
BN pleco eggs are a possibility. These are about the right size and color. Do both of your plecos have bristles around mouth and up their face? Sometimes females will have tiny ones around her mouth.

If you don't have some kind of cave, plecos will lay the eggs where ever they can. Or if you do have a cave for them they may have kicked some eggs out if they aren't mature enough to know what to do with them. I am leaning more toward pleco eggs as I am pretty sure they are not cory eggs.

The only thoughts I have on why it appeared your cory was carrying one is she just found it interesting or it could have stuck to her as she was foraging. Pleco eggs like cory eggs are kind of sticky. At least I assume so since the eggs my plecos laid were stuck to the roof of their cave.

BearAndSunny

mattgirl said:
BN pleco eggs are a possibility. These are about the right size and color. Do both of your plecos have bristles around mouth and up their face? Sometimes females will have tiny ones around her mouth.

If you don't have some kind of cave, plecos will lay the eggs where ever they can. Or if you do have a cave for them they may have kicked some eggs out if they aren't mature enough to know what to do with them. I am leaning more toward pleco eggs as I am pretty sure they are not cory eggs.

The only thoughts I have on why it appeared your cory was carrying one is she just found it interesting or it could have stuck to her as she was foraging. Pleco eggs like cory eggs are kind of sticky. At least I assume so since the eggs my plecos laid were stuck to the roof of their cave.
Wow, thats certainly a shock! Im very sure my biggest one, Bear is a male as hes got a lot of bristles up his nose not just around. Sunny has a few up his?her nose, I'll see if i can find a good pic

20210412_155723.jpg

I think this is quite a good shot of the bristles. What do you think? Could Sunny be a female? The bristles are definately shorter than Bears. Sunny is just under 3 inches. I mean, i guess one of them has to be if they really are pleco eggs I'll see if I've got a shot of Bear but although hes MUCH less shy now he still doesnt like me getting too close

20210414_185305.jpg

Its a little blurry but you can see his bristles are quite long. I hope it helps

I can also try for more pics of Sunny as he/she is much less shy and i can get quite close

Oh and i forgot to say, i have 3 caves for them but not the ones you see for breeding, all 3 are different but made from wood. And another thing is to me they dont seem to act like 2 males as i had assumed they'd stay away from each other but they sit side my side when eating and i do see them in caves together. But saying that, I dont think Bear would be fanning them as he's been out every day recently to be on the glass or eat. I thought males didnt leave their eggs

mattgirl

They both look like males to me. Since that is the case I can't see how these could possibly be pleco eggs. Strange things have been known to happen since nature will find a way though.

The only thing I know for certain is the eggs in the net look nothing like any cory egg I have ever seen. Do a google search for panda cory eggs and you will see what I mean.

You are right. Males don't like leaving the eggs. Very young males might not be as diligent though. Elbert didn't want to come out. I was more concerned about him not eating than I was about the eggs hatching so I removed the cave the eggs were in and hatched them in a separate tank with an airstone gently fanning them. The most difficult thing was insisting he leave the cave so I could move it.

Have you looked in your caves to see if there could possibly be more eggs in one of them? When plecos lay eggs they lay a lot of them. I can't imagine it being possible but if a male BN pleco can morph into a female maybe there won't be as many eggs.

I do hope you will keep us updated on this. Do you add any kind of fertilizer to this tank? Maybe root tabs in capsule form? I know a lot of ferts in potting soil have these little perfectly round balls that are supposed to slowly dissolve.

BearAndSunny

mattgirl said:
They both look like males to me. Since that is the case I can't see how these could possibly be pleco eggs. Strange things have been known to happen since nature will find a way though.

The only thing I know for certain is the eggs in the net look nothing like any cory egg I have ever seen. Do a google search for panda cory eggs and you will see what I mean.

You are right. Males don't like leaving the eggs. Very young males might not be as diligent though. Elbert didn't want to come out. I was more concerned about him not eating than I was about the eggs hatching so I removed the cave the eggs were in and hatched them in a separate tank with an airstone gently fanning them. The most difficult thing was insisting he leave the cave so I could move it.

Have you looked in your caves to see if there could possibly be more eggs in one of them? When plecos lay eggs they lay a lot of them. I can't imagine it being possible but if a male BN pleco can morph into a female maybe there won't be as many eggs.

I do hope you will keep us updated on this. Do you add any kind of fertilizer to this tank? Maybe root tabs in capsule form? I know a lot of ferts in potting soil have these little perfectly round balls that are supposed to slowly dissolve.
It is very odd! The plecos seem to be the only candidates left as the only other fish in there at the moment are some kuhli loaches who im sure don't reach sexual maturity until theyre 2 years old and ive had mine since they were tiny and they've only recently gotten bigger so I had my doubts. I also thought it was quite difficult to breed kuhlis but maybe im all wrong with that. Even so, none of mine have looked pregnant so I would rule them out completely.

You're right, that was what made me doubtful if they were supposed to look how they do as i'd been researching into it.

They're both definately eating, I saw them both out on the substrate about half an hour ago as ive just fed the tank. I searched as best I could, my water is quite dark with tannins as ive got so much wood in it so it was difficult to see. I'm sure I spotted a few eggs stuck to a piece of redmoor wood i have that works as one of my caves due to it's shape, however I couldnt be certain if they were indeed eggs or tiny pond snails. Regardless, they werent in a clutch like you'd expect. Im going to look again after an hour or so once everyone has had some food to make sure. Their favourite cave is a big piece of driftwood which I couldnt fully lift without distrupting my whole scape but I tried to have a good gentle feel inside with my fingers but found nothing. But once again, I cant be sure. The last cave was easy to move and I found nothing. Bear likes to huddle on this piece of driftwood right at the glass and is there often but I dont think there's any eggs there however its a bit difficult to get your head round to look as my canister tubes are there. I know they lay them in the 100s but I just cant seem to find any. Then again, i've quickly learned that things are very easily hidden in the fish world so im never ever certain. Makes things exciting though!

I would be very shocked to find out if BNs could morph. I always thought that was more of a marine thing. I tend to watch a lot of David Attenborough :D I wish there were more on freshwater though...

Anyway, Im sure ive heard of in rarer cases, females can end up with a few bristles up their noses and be easily confused with males. I wish i remember where i saw that said. I suppose it could be likely?

As for fertilizer, my substrate only consists of lava rock beneath at the back and very fine gravel. For my root tabs I use tetra which are little hard brown sticks. I used tropica capsules about 4 months ago though and I know they have little orangey bits in them so that is a possibility. I wish I had some left to compare. I would feel very stupid if i was fanning fertilizers :D However what puts me off that idea is the fact the "eggs" are semi translucent.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-25 at 4.06.06 PM.jpeg

Like the one i circled. I was sure that was a characteristic of fish eggs, but again im possibly wrong. I also found all 10 in the same spot of the tank but I dont know if that means anything.

I guess truly we cant know until they hopefully hatch. I want them to more than ever now just to find out who they really belong to! If they are eggs at all that is...

EDIT: I found this thread on another forum about plecos suddenly seeming to change sex. There's no solution, but a few people who seem to be in a similar situation: Pleco Sex Change

mattgirl

This truly is a mystery. Like you I am anxious to see how this turns out. If these are fert balls they may have gotten pushed in a pile by water movement. If pleco eggs the same could have happened.

BTW: some fert balls are translucent. I can't say I've ever seen orange ones though. Most of the ones I've seen have been a milky white. I guess the color would depend on what they are made up of.

BearAndSunny

mattgirl said:
This truly is a mystery. Like you I am anxious to see how this turns out. If these are fert balls they may have gotten pushed in a pile by water movement. If pleco eggs the same could have happened.

BTW: some fert balls are translucent. I can't say I've ever seen orange ones though. Most of the ones I've seen have been a milky white. I guess the color would depend on what they are made up of.
Very true. It's impossible to tell I think. Only time will tell I guess, but today is the 5th day they've been around. Once Tuesday hits, that'll have been a week so if nothing has become of them by then, I may wait until the end of the week before deciding that nothing is happening, but hopefully that wont be the case.

It sounds horrible, but do you think squishing one would prove anything? I suppose not if you didnt have the root tabs. I know Tropics tabs have little orange bits in them but they're solid orange. I really don't know.

mattgirl

BearAndSunny said:
Very true. It's impossible to tell I think. Only time will tell I guess, but today is the 5th day they've been around. Once Tuesday hits, that'll have been a week so if nothing has become of them by then, I may wait until the end of the week before deciding that nothing is happening, but hopefully that wont be the case.

It sounds horrible, but do you think squishing one would prove anything? I suppose not if you didnt have the root tabs. I know Tropics tabs have little orange bits in them but they're solid orange. I really don't know.
I would be tempted to do that but I am not sure it would tell us much unless you saw the beginning of a little fish in there. If all that is in it is liquid I would have to think they are not actually fertilized pleco eggs.

BearAndSunny

mattgirl said:
I would be tempted to do that but I am not sure it would tell us much unless you saw the beginning of a little fish in there. If all that is in it is liquid I would have to think they are not actually fertilized pleco eggs.
Do you think it's worth a try? After all, if they ere eggs im sure the plecos will spawn again and perhaps get better at it as they go along. It would mean I dont have to fan eggs that could in fact be fertilizer. The airstone is rather loud and distuptive so if it wasnt needed I would like to know sooner rather than later...

mattgirl

BearAndSunny said:
Do you think it's worth a try? After all, if they ere eggs im sure the plecos will spawn again and perhaps get better at it as they go along. It would mean I dont have to fan eggs that could in fact be fertilizer. The airstone is rather loud and distuptive so if it wasnt needed I would like to know sooner rather than later...
I would go ahead and do it.

BearAndSunny

mattgirl said:
I would go ahead and do it.
Its hard to make out on camera but it has a weird white centre almost. Not sure which way this makes it swing then? Fish or fert? I still have no clue

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-25 at 5.44.58 PM.jpeg

mattgirl

I am as perplexed as you. Hopefully time will answer the question. Since you have 2 male plecos I am leaning to them not being pleco eggs. We know they aren't cory eggs. I have to think ferts.

The good thing is, you will know it when your corys lay their eggs. They are very distinctive. If they stick them to a leaf snip the leaf off and put it in your hatchery. If they lay all of them on the glass gently remove a few of them and put them in your hatchery.

BearAndSunny

mattgirl said:
I am as perplexed as you. Hopefully time will answer the question. Since you have 2 male plecos I am leaning to them not being pleco eggs. We know they aren't cory eggs. I have to think ferts.
I would probably have to agree. I think i'll leave them on the off chance but in a few days if nothing happens I think i'll abandon them. The plus side is, my cories were still having a go at the T position so I may have actual cory eggs soon!

I still wonder how if they are ferts they ended up attached to that cory. Can they really pic things up with their bottom fins? That would be quite cute :D

mattgirl

BearAndSunny said:
I would probably have to agree. I think i'll leave them on the off chance but in a few days if nothing happens I think i'll abandon them. The plus side is, my cories were still having a go at the T position so I may have actual cory eggs soon!

I still wonder how if they are ferts they ended up attached to that cory. Can they really pic things up with their bottom fins? That would be quite cute :D
I have to think they can since they can hold their eggs there. I've not seen mine pick anything up but I don't have anything like this in my tank. Cory eggs are sticky so I wonder if maybe she had expelled one or more of her eggs and this thing stuck to it. If that was the case though I would think you would have seen a cory egg stuck to one of these. the mystery deepens :D

BearAndSunny

mattgirl said:
I have to think they can since they can hold their eggs there. I've not seen mine pick anything up but I don't have anything like this in my tank. Cory eggs are sticky so I wonder if maybe she had expelled one or more of her eggs and this thing stuck to it. If that was the case though I would think you would have seen a cory egg stuck to one of these. the mystery deepens :D
The world under water is a strange place to be :D but then again where would we be if weird things like this didnt happen. Aquatics would be so boring without all the little happenings and quirks :)

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom