Paleatus Cory Fin Damage

SilverHallows

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
One of my albino corys just went for a ride up into my siphon while I was completing a water change. The poor thing has lost most of his tail. He's been swimming around the tank since it happened and has finally taken a rest inside his coconut hut. I'm not sure what to do to give him a fighting chance to get past the trauma.

He's living in a 9 gallon Fluval Flex with two other paleatus cats.

Unfortunately I don't have another tank that I can use as a quarantine.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, you could give them a bigger tank and a bigger school, that would minimize any stress and would make the cory less suceptible to disease.
You can try to give him methylene blue baths so the wound does not infect a photo would help tho. Did he lose his fins or did he lose meat?

SilverHallows

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've actually got two groups of three corys in two separate tanks. My LFS only carries a few of each variety at a time, so it isn't possible to purchase a full group in one go. They're all waiting to move into my 20 gallon long as soon as I'm certain it has finished cycling. I was assuming it was better to keep them separated in the smaller tanks (the other is a 10 gallon) where I was at least certain that the water conditions were stable. Bad thinking?

He definitely has a little stub of a tail left. He stopped swimming long enough for me to grab a picture.

Thank you both for your help and thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Good to know they are going into a larger tank, and the damage isn't terrible. Clean water and time should heal that tail.

SilverHallows

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks so much. I probably should have said from the beginning that they're essentially in what I'm using as a quarantine tank

Fingers crossed!

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Poor thing! Glad to hear it is in quarantine...
Clean water, clean water, clean water. I would keep an eye on it. If you see any signs of infection than maybe move on to medicine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom