Pale Vampire Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Bluestreakfl, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Spotted one of my vampire shrimps hanging out on one of my plants, it normally hangs on the back intake on one of my filters but this time it was sitting on a plant below the filter. It looked very pale compared to normal. It also seemed like it was having sort of a hard time hanging on to the plant, albeit it's a thin bladed leaf type (dwarf sag I believe).This one molted probably 2-3 weeks ago. I don't see this one much. Are they normally this pale? My other one hangs out in a rock cave by the airstones. I thought maybe it just molted but it seems to soon, and I didn't see the shedding this time. Just curious. I went back to look at it, couldn't find it at first, but with the help of a mirror and a flashlight, I was able to find it hanging out in a hollowed out portion of driftwood that faces the back of the tank. It's color looked somewhat back to normal with the blue-ish hue to it. This all happened within like a 20 minute period. Any thoughts? My other one seems much darker in color, although their color was slightly different from each other when I first got them both.

Here it is looking strangely pale.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437951617.839955.jpg

Here's both when I first got them.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437951674.380008.jpg

Here's the other one.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437951712.118552.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. The Red SeverumValued MemberMember

I would just keep an eye out on him. He might of been stressed out of his hiding spot causing irritation and he will eventually be calm again and return to his normal color.

3. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Come to think of it, the pleco could have been zipping around the driftwood or the back of one of the filters and and spooked him. Didnt even think of that. Ill keep an eye on him. I forgot these guys can change color rather quickly.

4. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

I still feel like something's a bit off. It's been hanging out on the driftwood, tucked in a little crevice with its fans clamped shut. I almost wonder if it's not getting enough food too? The other one seems to be doing great on the flip side. Nice dark blue, happily eating this and that from the water column.

I had an idea I want a second opinion on. My 10g is now red cherry shrimp only. There are tons of little microorganisms in there, daphnia, copepods, and other things I'm sure I can't see. The only filter is a sponge, so there's not a super strong current, but I can't help but wonder if the 10g would have a more steady food source and also not have the neurotic pleco being rambunctious near him and stressing him out.

5. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Well, I came home today only to find the pale one laying on its side in the back of the tank. I sadly went to retrieve it when I saw it move a little. I immediately scooped up some tank water, a turkey baster and some powder shrimp food and put him on a small container. He seemed to like the food, and has eaten a few pieces over the last 30 minutes. I've been piping the baster back and forth non stop trying to see if eating will help him gain some strength back. He's very weak, can't even stand up on his own. I slowly drip acclimated him to my 10g red cherry shrimp tank, finally got him transferred and gently laid him on the sponge filter. I'm going to monitor him, but it's not looking good. I really think he may have become super stressed by the pleco, and also gone hungry from being in a less than optimal spot.

Meanwhile my other one is doing absolutely outstanding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice