Pale platys- are they sick/what is this illness called?

Bronwynkl

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I have two very pregnant Mickey mouse platys, one adult male and lots of fry, the pregnant ones seem to have lost their color and some of the fry are very pale as well, some nearly see through.. This has been going on for 3 or so weeks. All seem to be eating and acting normal though the pregnant ones are a little skittish- which I suspect is semi normal given they are about to pop. Any ideas what is wrong with them?
Thanks in advance
20200709_211811_HDR.jpg
20200709_211742_HDR.jpg
20200709_211710_HDR.jpg

Best Answer - View FishGirl38's answer

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They all look fairly healthy to me.

Are you including the orange/yellow female platy in your concerns? or just the ones in the background? (the fry? assuming.) If you're just concerned about the lightest ones pictured, go ahead and look up a 'panda platy'. The color could have to do with their genetics? Were they recently a different color, or did they never develop 'color'.

What are you feeding them? and do you keep the light on a lot?

Fry are almost never born the color that they will end up - some fry are (like black molly), but some will be born totally see through, and will develop their color later on, perhaps they still need to develop?

IMO, loss of color would signify something with the environment. Lights on too long or not enough, water parameters aren't quite in check (where are your phosphates/nitrates/PH reading?), not enough high quality/varied diet.

I don't think it's an illness - if they were feeling sick, you'd see them holding their fins close to their body often (clamping), swimming lethargically, slowly or wobbly, hovering towards the top gasping, and, usually, when a fish is feeling ill, they'll stop eating too.

MrFishkeeper1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I see your account details say you dont know about the nitrogen cycle? This is something that is VERY important, if you dont understand how it works then I can guarantee that a LOT of your fish will die (most likely all of them). I think @GishGirl38 covered the rest.

OP
Bronwynkl

Bronwynkl

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MrFishkeeper1 said:
I see your account details say you dont know about the nitrogen cycle? This is something that is VERY important, if you dont understand how it works then I can guarantee that a LOT of your fish will die (most likely all of them). I think @GishGirl38 covered the rest.
Ok, honestly, I was just looking at my own profile after I posted and saw that I answered no to this as well and wondered what the heck I was thinking when I created the profile.. Anyways, I am fairly familiar with the nitrogen cycle and will update. Lol I wouldn't say I am an expert but have learned quite a bit over the past several years, fish varieties and several tanks and a pond, of course theres always more learning to be done.. So other than that, did you have any additional input?

MrFishkeeper1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bronwynkl said:
Ok, honestly, I was just looking at my own profile after I posted and saw that I answered no to this as well and wondered what the heck I was thinking when I created the profile.. Anyways, I am fairly familiar with the nitrogen cycle and will update. Lol I wouldn't say I am an expert but have learned quite a bit over the past several years, fish varieties and several tanks and a pond, of course theres always more learning to be done.. So other than that, did you have any additional input?
Sorry I have been kinda busy lately and forgot to check my account, you already sound like you know more than me. So no I dont have anything else to say. Good luck! And keep on fishkeeping!

New Threads