10 Gallon Tank Pale maidenhair fern, hair algae

V1K

I have 35 L/ 9 gal tank, looking for insights on plant care.
I am going for a sort of riparium look, so I have a maidenhair fern tied to the top of a mopani wood. For the first month of planting, it showed zero growth, but lately started sprouting a lot of new leaves. However, these new leaves are very pale, and also kind of small. At first I thought nitrogen deficiency, but now as I'm writing it hit me it's probably iron, because it's the new leaves? Am I correct? Oddly enough I don't see this in aquatic plants, is it normal for emersed ones to show the deficiencies before others? Another semi-emersed plant is pennywort, it's not pale, but the edges of its leaves are dried and/or deformed.

DSC_0252.JPG

Another possibly unrelated problem I'm having is hair algae. I wanted a moss wall for this tank, and I knew those things are a high risk for hair algae, but I did it anyway and now it's everywhere. Is there a way to tinker with parameters in some way that would not support it? I've heard from some people that it's pretty much undestroyable because it likes exact same things as plants and you can't kill it without killing plants, I wonder if that's true...
The plants that are growing well, despite the algae, is African fern, stargrass, riccia and floaters. The plants that aren't growing well are Hydrophila rosanervig, Java moss, hydrocotyle tripartita, water sprite.

DSC_0254 (1).JPG

DSC_0255.JPG
The tank has been running for 2.5 months, lights are 6 W aquarium LED lamp and a 1500 lumen 6500 K LED desklamp, both on for 7 hours (yesterday I reduced it to 6). Ferts are All in One variety that includes both micros and a little bit of macros. Stock is 6 cories, a bunch of snails, and some shrimp.

PeterFishKeepin

I tried maidenhair fern ontop of my 20gal tank but it didnt work very well, because the new growth was short it often went pale before withering as the light was too strong for those small fragile leaves and i just remove the plant all together.

Mudminnow

Your tank looks nice.

This is only a guess about the maidenhair fern, but I wonder if it's reacting to the light. In the wild, I only see them growing in shady, moist places--not sunny spots. Plenty of other plants grow smaller leaves in brighter light, so perhaps that's at least part of what's going on?

In my experience, BBA is more the one that's harder to control. If the plants can grow, so can it.

Hair algae on the other hand, isn't quite as bad. At least in my experience, it can be controlled with not going overboard on light, making sure there's no ammonia, making sure your plants are healthy, and keeping the tank clean with siphoning/water changes.

Honestly though, I don't even see the algae in your photos.

mattoid

plus one on the too much light. I learnt this the hard way with a potted specimen.

V1K

Honestly though, I don't even see the algae in your photos.
That's because it's post-cleaning :D. But in a few days it will be there again.

As for the fern, I tried to reposition the desk lamp so it hits it less, maybe that will help.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coolio3991
Replies
Views
Magua
Replies
Views
ppate1977
  • Question
Replies